Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Which new smartphone do I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    Apple is known for this too. Siri was not great when it came out, and i wont even get started on Apple Maps.
    you know its bad when your CEO has to write and apology letter to all of its users, and theres a page on Apples website solely for this apology

name which samsung features dont work?
    only 'feature' that doesnt work perfectly all the time is anything to do with the eye tracking. but i dunno, its something that in theory wont work perfectly unless you situate your eyes properly at the sensor. its a part of technology that cant always be perfect, just like how voice recognition can never be 100% perfect.

As for 64 bit processing... of course Samsung was going to move to it. you do realize that iphone's current SoC was manufactured by Samsung. its not a far step for Samsung, manufacturing the chip is not hard to do, theyve already done it.
    Android already has support for 64 bit, the linux kernel has supported 64 bit processing for years.
    your argument is really baseless here due to your lack of understanding of how android/linux works.
    Siri was still in BETA (it said so in their web page) up until the latest iOS release.

Manufacturing a chip is completely different than 'designing' it. Apple designs its internal hardware with closer collaboration with their OS department. Everything is integrated, that's what they're known for. So they design they're own basically almost everything to work together and maximize it's performance.

I'd like to see another manufacturer get the same battery life, performance, screen, in the same size phone. There's a reason why the Android phones are as big as they are. They were originally bigger to fit a bigger battery and 4G antenna. A bigger battery is needed because 4g drains your battery life, specially when it first came out.

When the 5s came out, there was some making excuses and complaining that 64 bit chip won't work because of this and that. That it's useless because there was many different factors that were needed etc.etc. but they were proven wrong. It will take Samsung a while before they truly are a 64 bit phone. It needs Google to do the coding for it, then there's other factors that need to be put in place for it to work, such as giving developers the proper tools.

What features don't work in Samsung phones? try almost all of them.

They don't work with any sort of consistency. They tend to get slow and choppy, and did I say LAG?

Imagine of Apple phones had anywhere near the same performance issues? the world would explode. But for some reason Samsung gets a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I have the S3 for almost a year and the features works fine like NFC/S Beam, Samsung Remote, All Share Play.
    Is Apple maps well implemented? Siri cannot compete against Google voice. What about fingerprint scanner? Hackers had overcame that safeguard.
    Every company has it's fault and you made it like Apple is perfect in every way. This is why you are a perfect example of a Apple fan boy.
    I agree, every company issues products with bugs.

Biggest difference is, Apple will actually accomodate it's users when it does. You at least get an update immediately, one that most of the users can download and install ASAP.

if there's an issue, Apple will release an update by the end of the week (give or take a week depending on the issue of course).

With Android offerings, you need to wait months and that's IF your OEM will carry it.

Android phones (specially Samsung) are notoriously known for their bad lifespan. And YES this is amongst Android phone/fanboys as well.

People wanna shit on maps and ignore the fact that Google which has been doing maps for a longer time, has issues itself.

In regards to Siri, Google talk aint much better (if at all). I do like that it is local and doesn't need network connection, that to me is something I wish Siri was like. But they both have their pros and cons, so using Siri isn't the best argument. Tests results will always vary, there's different factors involved. Again, Google voice's advantage is it's local offline service, but it isn't something that's dramatically superior.

Just how Apple maps at times displays things better than Google maps and vice versa. But nobody cares that Google maps is also inaccurate and buggy.

I know this is a bit offtopic but Nexus 5 is too much for me to consider buying it I need to buy a Nexus 4 off someone because Google isn't going to stock them anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    ios7 is getting killed. apple just dropped another shiny turd. read the comments as well, and keep in mind bgr is usually a ver pro-apple blog. the article doesn't even mention all the bugs and performance issues that have been reported

http://bgr.com/2013/10/15/ios-7-review-user-experience/
    EVERY OS generation has issues and bugs. Doesn't matter what platform the software is. It can be phones, computers, tvs, DVRs, etc.etc. I've yet to come across a single item that was perfect in every way for every user.

And this applies to this latest iOS release.

It's a new overhaul that is new to most people, so it's gonna be weird for some. There's gonna be bugs, as is the case with EVERY OS release, new or otherwise. That's not an excuse, that's a fact.

I haven't had any issues, I don't know anybody with issues. My mom needed a day to get used to it, but she's fine now. Everybody I know of loves it and finds it more useful.

But do you really wanna go and compare usability? Android phones are know for being hard to use and hard to understand. I'm a tech geek and I find myself lost in them whenenver I'm asked to do something on any of them (which is often enough). They all tend to vary on where things are located and even how to use them. There's also the back button on teh hardware that's always confusing and never works consistently. THAT can't really be changed because it's hardware, it will always be there. Even when phone reviewers do reviews they mention the back button as an issue.

But with Android phones one just gets used to having shitty OS and usability. Because the updates don't come soon enough if at all. Most Android users don't even update at all, because they're unaware that there was an update, some don't even get an update to the newest OS let alone maintenance update.

iOS 7 isn't perfect, but look for it to mature and evolve. Look for new features and refinements. And more importantly, the vast majority of its users will benefit from any changes. We can't say the same about Android users.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    why you arguing semantics? you know exactly what I meant regarding touchwiz.

They may use the highest technology but they do so at the expense of something else. And YES they don't do proper testing, they're known for it. They rush shit to market, it's SAMSUNG that's what half those Asian makers do!
    I'm not. First of all, Samsung isn't just some random "Asian maker". (Can't believe you just said that ) Secondly, you're mixing up hardware and software. Samsung is known for their hardware, not their software. I strongly doubt you have any idea how stringent their testing process is for their hardware.

Software's a different issues. I really don't care for their UI, but the functionality is there. You keep saying some features don't work on Samsung phones, but you never really specify anything. Then in another response you say none of the features work and use consistency as your reasoning. Come on man. Function and consistency are two very different objectives. Once again, you don't know what you're talking about but you like to pretend you do.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    I'm not. First of all, Samsung isn't just some random "Asian maker". (Can't believe you just said that ) Secondly, you're mixing up hardware and software. Samsung is known for their hardware, not their software. I strongly doubt you have any idea how stringent their testing process is for their hardware.

Software's a different issues. I really don't care for their UI, but the functionality is there. You keep saying some features don't work on Samsung phones, but you never really specify anything. Then in another response you say none of the features work and use consistency as your reasoning. Come on man. Function and consistency are two very different objectives. Once again, you don't know what you're talking about but you like to pretend you do.
    Samsung nor any other OEM work like Apple does.

The don't design their hardware and software in unison. Which is why the iPhone doesn't need 4 gigs of RAM to actually be 64 bit capable like some critics initially stated.

You just said that Samsung works on the hardware but agreed that their software isn't up to par

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    Read the the thread

High-end, reliable, product, for basic phone functions. Battery life, storage space, and screen size are non-issues. The question is more iPhone vs. Android, and hearing info on both and posters give their opinion/experiences.
    Why would you want a high-end phone, only if you're using the basic phone functions?

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

iPhone is the best bet for OP. For reliability, iOS will beat out Android's fragmentation any day of the week. If you don't have the flavor of the month Android phone, you'll be lucky to get any updates in a timely matter, if at all.

My last three phones were Android and while the phones themselves were great, the software was compromised after a few months of use. My last phone went from being the top reviewed model to discontinued with zero support less than 6 months later and within a year I was two major updates behind. Even basic things like texting was a hassle and the phones were all buggy and laggy.

Most of my friends have an S3 or S4 and none of them use apps that I can't, or get any real use out of the exclusive gimmicky features. I think they've used the dap file sharing feature once, out of curiosity.

NBA lottery pick

iPhone 5S user here.

Best phone on the market.

But iOS 7 is garbage. That animation time is killing me. I don't a fvck about animation. I do not want to wait even a split second to swipe after unlocking the phone etc.

Bring back the fluidity of iOS 6 please.

so EVERY single phone has problems where if you hold a phone a certain way, your signal drops considerably?

you do know.. the issue was due to the antenna design ... where your hand could bridge the two different antennae? thats why having a case fixed this issue. (obviously was fixed in 4s)
    lol name one prominent phone where you could hold your phone a certain way and almost completely kill your signal.
    im sorry, but when your own CEO responds to one of his own customers and tells him to avoid holding a phone that way....
    its just silly that you say Samsung doesnt test phones and just releases phones untested... I guess Apple forgot to test their antenna design on the iphone 4.

and if you actually thought you could smell from your galaxy s4 screen... it was obviously a joke in the commercial
    YES every phone had issues due to the location of its antenna.

As a non-native speaker, I never fully understood the phrase "ether, that shit that make your soul burn slow".

Until I saw andgar's post history in this thread, that is. Now I understand completely. Wow.

so EVERY single phone has problems where if you hold a phone a certain way, your signal drops considerably?

you do know.. the issue was due to the antenna design ... where your hand could bridge the two different antennae? thats why having a case fixed this issue. (obviously was fixed in 4s)
    lol name one prominent phone where you could hold your phone a certain way and almost completely kill your signal.
    im sorry, but when your own CEO responds to one of his own customers and tells him to avoid holding a phone that way....
    its just silly that you say Samsung doesnt test phones and just releases phones untested... I guess Apple forgot to test their antenna design on the iphone 4.

and if you actually thought you could smell from your galaxy s4 screen... it was obviously a joke in the commercial
    i would just give up arguing with andgar about iphones. he will never admit their faults

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    YES every phone had issues due to the location of its antenna.
    yes, if those phones were held in a deathgrip..whereas the iphone would drop it's signal with just one finger placed in the right location. how hard is that to understand or admit??

Phones in general had reception issues. Some phones had it on the side, others on the back, the ones without issues were those that had it on the top (antenna).

The iPhone wasn't the only one.

But it was also part of the software not displaying the bars correctly. If you touched that spot the bars would drop but signal was still there. it was a mixture of bug that was fixed and antenna not being located on the proper area, but the iPhone wasn't the only one that suffered from bad reception due to antenna placement.

Or are people gonna conveniently gloss that fact over as if over phones didn't suffer from the same antenna issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5OPgvJp0p0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXAHABv43XQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zbQ3f7H0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zft3-Lwh2bo

Naturally, there's more but ya'll still won't care.

I also never denied that there was antenna gate. I simply pointed out the fact that they weren't the only phone with that issue. Every phone has that issue, it just depends on where the antenna is located. The best bet is at the top where people normally don't touch it while talking.
    Last edited by andgar923; 10-20-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    As a non-native speaker, I never fully understood the phrase "ether, that shit that make your soul burn slow".

Until I saw andgar's post history in this thread, that is. Now I understand completely. Wow.
    So it's wrong of me to reply back?

Somebody needed help, I gave an opinion like everybody else. I corrected/replied to posts, so people can make a decision on all the information.