Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Show Me A hero (New David Simon HBO Miniseries)

HBO just gave the green light for a new miniseries from David Simon (the creator of The Wire) called Show Me A Hero. It'll be a 6 hour mini series and will star Oscar Isaac from Inside Llewyn Davis. Here's the full article:

[quote]HBO has given a green light to a six-hour David Simon miniseries about race relations, poverty-stricken low-income housing, and the general ineffectiveness of bureaucracy

Default Re: Show Me A hero (New David Simon HBO Miniseries)

Hopefully it's better than Treme.

Treme was awesome. Loved that show.

Banned

Paul Haggis oh god

Dont think Simon will ever top the wire or get near those heights again. Seems like he just wants to keep rehashing the same themes in different settings.

Grantland: On The Set Of Show Me A Hero With David Simon

Great, great article with lots of info on the miniseries.

rank sentamentalist

this story is so perfect for david simon it makes me scream

just saw this cover article at grantland on the show

two hour premiere this weekend, can't wait

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm pumped too. It is a perfect setting for Simon. And it doesn't hurt that Oscar Isaac has become among the best actors in the business.

I also just read the Grantland article. It sounds as promising as I'd hoped it'd be.

On tonight. Looking forward to it. It's been getting great reviews.

Banned

Been waiting for it, for sure...

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

how are you guys liking it? gonna find some time this week to watch the first two.

College superstar

I recognized 3 actors from the Wire.....

That first episode was a little clinical, but I did like it. I just wonder if 2 hours at a time is a bit much for something this technical. Shane from The Walking Dead was excellent.

rank sentamentalist

great start to the show. i can definitely see why simon doesn't believe this will be any sort of an instant hit. it's got the exact same feel as the carcetti administration, except much more emphasis on the main character. which is good because Nick (will not spell his last name) has a lot of depth. the actor is doing awesome, he seems recognizable but i couldn't peg where i'd seen him.

best casting: the jewish lawyer is dead on imo with those big 80s glasses and tough actin attitude; belushi is perfect as the ex-mayor who knows more than he lets on; that thuggish looking councilor who keeps voting no; catherine keener is killing it, i have no idea where that role will lead but i sense a reluctant alliance pending between her and Nick

winona ryder's character is already annoying but the whining about not being in the spotlight anymore didn't go on too long and it was funny to see Nick attempt to change the subject about the crazy racial uproar but she swings it right back to how "nobody looks at her"... it's not often you encounter stories about ex-politicians returning to a regular job.

the fact that it's only 6 hours total and is based on a true story that is incredibly apropos for the current political climate in america... might mean more viewers will tune in. it's obvious this first weekend was mostly set up and we'll get the meat in the next two.

9/10 on set-up from me though. the crux of the story is the back and forth between federal court and town council. judge hammers home integration in the court, council rejects, return to court. its a nice tactic to build anticipation.

but then you got enough narrative digressions, into the lives of people eventually making the move or yonkers residents being forced to live with it.... still the majority of screentime is devoted primarily to cultural tension, rather than spending too much time exposing character depth.

nice work mr simon!

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    That first episode was a little clinical, but I did like it. I just wonder if 2 hours at a time is a bit much for something this technical. Shane from The Walking Dead was excellent.
    do you mean like predictable in narrative format thorpe? like the mostly back and forth between court and council? i agree with that assessment but i don't think it will hamper the direction of the show. in fact it's probably helpful since the issue at hand, a low income/affordable housing construction project, is a little parochial and not exactly a gut-wrenching issue for most people. by simplifying the first two episodes, they first stand a better chance at hooking the viewer but also have more flexibility to concentrate on the issues that matter down the road.... rather than feeling forced to resolve character arcs that are tangential or completely irrelevant to the story being told.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    do you mean like predictable in narrative format thorpe? like the mostly back and forth between court and council? i agree with that assessment but i don't think it will hamper the direction of the show. in fact it's probably helpful since the issue at hand, a low income/affordable housing construction project, is a little parochial and not exactly a gut-wrenching issue for most people. by simplifying the first two episodes, they first stand a better chance at hooking the viewer but also have more flexibility to concentrate on the issues that matter down the road.... rather than feeling forced to resolve character arcs that are tangential or completely irrelevant to the story being told.

It's a little of both the way it was presented, and the subject matter.

We got to Mayor Wasicsko pretty fast. And the layout of the housing issue happened awfully quick too. It just felt a little like a data dump, which is not uncommon for a first episode, I just thought maybe two hours is a bit much for that much info.

And probably in an effort to keep the data clear, I felt like it went a little by the books in terms of the way they assembled the narrative. Although the bouncing to a couple of the interesting side characters helped probably more than I'm giving it credit for.

I do agree about the ability to short end some of the side characters. The latino family, and Katherine Keener's character, and a few of the other characters are really there more to show the affect of what's going on. But once it's resolved, there lives will go on. We don't need to follow these characters to the end of the earth, and we don't really need to learn anything. Some of the characters can continue to just be bigots, some can keep living up to the stereotypes the bigots have for them, and more can change, it doesn't really matter, they're more an illustration of the story than part of it.

Obviously Wascisko is going to be chewed up by this thing. Too young, too optimistic, too idealistic, and already drinking Stoli and Mylanta. And Oscar Isaac was already great. And I really really loved Jon Bernthal.

I still loved it, and I'm hopeful we'll see it get even more nuanced.