Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 07-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Default Michael Krayer - Smart Player On and Off The Basketball Court.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...607150398/1005

Krayer named CAA's top scholar-athlete

By Brian Mull

Staff Writer

Disappointed after his homeland of Germany finished third in the recent World Cup, Michael Krayer received a sweet consolation prize earlier this week when the Colonial Athletic Association named him its Male Scholar Athlete of the Year.

Krayer was a member of four straight CAA title swimming teams. He graduated from UNC-Wilmington in May with a 3.95 overall grade point average in a double major of chemistry and marine biology.

"Initially, I came looking for a school that had marine biology and swimming," Krayer said. "I wasn't recruited but once I got here I picked up chemistry as well and really liked it. I fit in perfectly; it was the perfect program for me."

Krayer, who won four gold medals at the 2006 CAA championships, said he made the most improvement between his freshman and sophomore seasons. A broken hand set him back as a sophomore.

"Michael came to us a respectable, decent swimmer," UNCW coach Dave Allen said in a statement. "With his work ethic, he transformed himself into a very good Division I swimming athlete. That's just the type of person he was."

A native of Hattersheim, Germany, Krayer was a U.S. exchange student. He attended high school in Harding, Mont., then returned to Germany and finished his degree there before attending UNCW.

He returned home for the World Cup his country hosted and was impressed with the way fans from rival countries co-existed peacefully.

"Whole parts of the cities were blocked off, people were honking horns for hours and waving flags, Krayer said. "It was crazy."

Krayer has moved to Raleigh where, beginning next month, he will focus on chemistry in the Masters/Ph.D. program at N.C. State.

Goldsberry headed to German pro league

John Goldsberry's college basketball career ended in March when UNCW dropped an overtime heartbreaker to George Washington in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

But the Seahawks' savvy point guard isn't ready for his playing days to end yet.

Goldsberry, who surpassed 1,000 points and 500 assists as a four-year starter, signed a contract with the Bayer Giants Leverkusen of a German professional league.

"I thought all along I wanted to give it a try," Goldsberry said. "It's a great opportunity. I've never been overseas."

Training camp starts in mid-August and the season lasts about eight months.

Goldsberry expects there to be four or five Americans on the roster. The Giants also signed former Ole Miss player Derrick Allen recently.

Goldsberry said he would stay sharp working out at UNCW and playing pickup with his former teammates and the incoming freshmen.

He likes the work ethic of Benny Moss' first class .

"They have a lot of talent and seem to be working hard," Goldsberry said. "They are here getting better in the summer, which is what we did before our freshman year, and it really helped."

Campus Swoop

Former UNCW swimmer and graduate assistant Todd DeSorbo has joined Dave Allen's staff as an assistant men's coach... Five track athletes, A.J. Kaschak, William Mattocks, Ashley McLellan, Becky Edwards and Anna Raynor, earned national All-Academic honors... Brett Blizzard, the men's basketball career scoring leader, had 14 points for the Charlotte Bobcats summer league team Wednesday in a 103-87 defeat of Orlando.

Brian Mull: 343-2034

brian.mull@starnewsonline.com

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...607150398/1005
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: