Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Default BREAKING: Lakers Get LeBron

The Lakers get Lebron James and this forum is dead? Wow, times have changed quite a bit....

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Lakers Get Lebron...

no one seems to post anymore. i still cant believe they got lebron.

NBA lottery pick

Just the wrong thread. Everyone posts in the general thread. It is still much more dead here than it was in years past. I think part of it was everyone wanted to consolidate threads. Once everything went into one huge thread it made it impossible for people to casually post and read stuff. I said years ago that would really hurt things. Killed the Lakers forum.

i'm assuming everyone is on other blogs/forums. realgm, silver screen & roll, lakersnation. since there's a more active community dedicated to lakers.

Not airballing my layups anymore LosLakers's Avatar

I checked in here for about 3 hours after it happened before I ventured out to the main forum. Couldn't believe the lack of reaction here, myself. Times have changed indeed.

LAKER FAN FOR LIFE lovethetriangle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    The Lakers get Lebron James and this forum is dead? Wow, times have changed quite a bit....

Back from the dead for this!

Hope you're doing well brother!

nice to see everyone who commented in here joined 2009 or less...almost more than 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OG LeeTSkeeT
    i'm assuming everyone is on other blogs/forums. realgm, silver screen & roll, lakersnation. since there's a more active community dedicated to lakers.
    I like posting with Lakers fans here, but it's not easy to post on insidehoops forum since it's not very mobile friendly. I might start posting a bit on realgm because at least realgm is mobile-friendly. Jeff hasn't updated vbulletin in veeeery long time - gotta be 10yrs minimum so it's kind of his fault that people are moving to other boards tbh. If he wanted more traffic, he would have upgraded to vbulletin 5, which is much more user-friendly & mobile-friendly than vbulletin 3.

As for getting LeBron, I am excited but also unsure at the same time. I never liked LeBron very much - good guy who stays out of trouble & is a brilliant basketball player, but he gives off a vibe that he thinks he is bigger than nba & he seems more concerned with selling himself.. I can't tell which facet of LeBron is real, and which is fake.

I guess you can say the same about Kobe or Jordan or Kareem or whoever so maybe I'm in the wrong to criticize LeBron for that. I don't know, but that criticism is extra-curricular stuff that goes far beyond basketball. Nothing to do with how he plays on the court or his character or anything. It's probably just an ego thing that every successful person goes through.

Basketball-speaking, I think it's a brilliant addition. We still need that 2nd piece, a Kawhi or someone, before I can say we are title-contenders. We are definitely a playoff team. Before LeBron, I think we would have been a 7-8 seed team, had we kept Randle and acquired PG13. With LeBron alone, we are a 4-5 seed team. I wish we could have acquired PG13 too - would be a top 3 team in the West, but ehhh, PG chose OKC for whatever reason

I hope we can add Kawhi soon. Kawhi + LeBron duo is a top 2 team in all of nba. LeBron is still the best player in the nba, but kawhi was top 3 until his quad injury. If we can pull THAT off, I will be overjoyed haha! I hope we can keep any one of Ingram or Kuzma. I don't mind giving up both Hart and Lonzo. TBH, I'm so high on Hart that I would seriously consider trading both Ingram AND Kuzma to get Kawhi if I can hold onto Josh Hart.
    Last edited by bladefd; 07-06-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

He's gonna need some mature all-star level help if the Lakers really want to contend, and have ANY shot at getting past the Warriors. That said, I am still a little shocked that he's here.

It wasn't that long ago that the Lakers couldn't even get a meeting with La Marcus Aldridge on his way to San Antonio. If Jim Buss was still in the front office, there's no way LeBron would be here, so I am glad Jeanie took care of that.

Where does this lead from here?

Who knows. I'm still puzzled that PG13 passed this up after all he has said just to stay in OKC.

There was a time when I didn't care much for LBJ, but he has steadily matured in many ways. I expect (and hope) that process continues. Strap yourselves in Laker fans, I think this is going to be another era of 'Showtime', but I have no idea how it will all unfold.

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

Magic wanted the best and got the best. I

Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

Can't wait to get this party started! I've never been a Lebron fan, but on the court you can't argue how great he is. I love how he lets his game do his talking. He will be great for the Lakers and a great influence on the Laker kids.

Let's all just enjoy the ride

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by alexthegod
    Can't wait to get this party started! I've never been a Lebron fan, but on the court you can't argue how great he is. I love how he lets his game do his talking. He will be great for the Lakers and a great influence on the Laker kids.

Let's all just enjoy the ride
    Just out of curiosity, why were you not a fan? I've just always thought it was odd to not like people who are great. I'm sure you've seen what happened with the murals. I think that is so dumb too. The Lakers finally land a big time free agent and everyone hates (not you necessarily but you know what I mean). That doesn't entice other huge FA's to want to come to LA. Shouldn't everyone embrace great players coming to their city?? Let the rest of the nation not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Just out of curiosity, why were you not a fan? I've just always thought it was odd to not like people who are great. I'm sure you've seen what happened with the murals. I think that is so dumb too. The Lakers finally land a big time free agent and everyone hates (not you necessarily but you know what I mean). That doesn't entice other huge FA's to want to come to LA. Shouldn't everyone embrace great players coming to their city?? Let the rest of the nation not like it.
    I think most Lakers fans have accepted LeBron at this point. Very few who haven't.

I didn't like LeBron either because I always got the impression he seemed too fake at times. I always respected him as a player and I also respected him for always staying out of trouble with the law. It was just the way he approached interviews and things in general that he did not seem to be genuine, as if he thought he was bigger than the league as a whole.

Kobe you felt like he was always genuine, spoke what he felt. Kobe may have been a jerk too often, but you knew Kobe wasn't fake. Same with Jordan, Pippen, KG, Dirk, Shaq. Even Duncan in his way. You knew Duncan was genuine and probably the same kind person in real life as we saw on tv.

Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    His ego was out of control and he never admitted any mistakes. he tattooed "chosen one" on his back before he ever came to the NBA. The way he announced his arrival to Miami and how they Heat helped him act like god himself had arrived was ridiculous. When Orlando knocked him out of the playoffs and he refused to shake hands after and refused to interview after was childish (its not like he had never been there before as he went to the finals the year before.). When he cracked after Miami lost the finals and he couldn't take the haters anymore (which he created in the first place with all his antics in going to Miami and promising not 5 not 6 not 7 championships he basically says: at the end of the day, your all have to go back to your pathetic, poor, crappy lives and I'm still LeBron ****ing James, rich and happy.

There was also double standards where he gloated wins on opposing teams court and thought that was ok, but when it happened when another team did it to him in Cle that wasnt cool.

All I ever wanted from him was a simple acknowledgment an apology. Like yeah, that was a bad move not shaking hands. that all. But in each case he doubled down and said nope, he didnt do anything wrong.

Now later in his Career I give him HUGE respect for going back to Cleveland and really wanting to win a chip for the city. The way Dan Gilbert nuked that bridge when he left the first time was the most absurd thing I'd ever seen an owner do. We all now his relationship with Gilbert cant be anything more than tolerable, but he did it for Cleveland, again mad respect.

Since that time he's stopped doing egotistical things like that and just let his play do the talking for him, again which I really respect, I've started to like him a little more each year. I'm old school in the fact that I think players should respect the game, have some humility, and achieve greatness before you announce how great you are. Better yet, let your play do the announcing.

Having said all that, I have always respected and appreciated his game, he is without question one of the greatest ever. Dude always makes the right decision on pick and rolls, double teams, etc. Later in his career he has developed a better outside shot and a killer instinct. Hall of famer and top 5 all time no question.

As far as the murals go, that is absolutely the lowest thing anyone can do, regardless how much or little I might like a person. To destroy somebodys work of art is 100% wrong. destroying things, graffiti, anything destructive like that makes me sad for the human race. I couldnt stand Dwight Howard in LA and I was quite happy to see him leave, but never in a million years was I going to go out and deface the "STAY" billboards.

Laker fans will embrace him, because he is going to play GREAT basketball and he will help the young kids grow. They will see that the media created a lot more than was actually there. When he just grabs his lunch pail and puts in a hard days work EVERY day, fans won't help but to begin embracing him. He chose the much tougher western conference.

Enjoy the ride everyone, this is a once in a lifetime type player, enjoy him while you can.