Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Default Head gives up security for more opportunity

Interesting article from the Sun-Sentinel:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...,2846091.story
Quote:
TORONTO - Luther Head just wants to play. And while he will have to wait a bit longer for that opportunity with the Heat, he still was willing to risk playoff position when it came to taking a buyout.

Unlike the other players who took buyouts at Sunday's deadline to be playoff eligible, such as Drew Gooden (Sacramento to San Antonio), Joe Smith (Oklahoma City to Cleveland) and Stromile Swift (New Jersey to Phoenix), Head worked out a deal to move down in the standings.

"My agent convinced me this is best way to jump-start my career," Head said of leaving the Rockets.

"Hopefully, he's right."

Buried in the Rockets' rotation behind Aaron Brooks, Kyle Lowry and Von Wafer, Head said he agreed to the parting when the Heat offered time at point guard, in addition to his normal role of undersized 6-foot-3 shooting guard.

"I played well at times in Houston," the 2005 first-round pick out of Illinois said, "but I don't feel I got a good enough shot at the one. Hopefully I can show more here."

Because of the additional responsibilities at point guard, coach Erik Spoelstra said Head would have to get acclimated to the playbook before being activated.
I know basketball is a business, but I just hope he doesn't use the Heat as a stepping stool to a contract. If he gets minutes and is productive, I'd like to see the Heat hold onto him for a low contract. But because they are so close to luxury I doubt they will if he asks for more than ~$1.5M. We'll have to see how he plays down the stretch, and most importantly in the playoffs. If anything, he's really going to earn his next contract in his playoff role similar to Delonte West last season.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
FinishHim!
I dunk on kids

Default Re: Head gives up security for more opportunity

If you give enough money, you'll get enough Head.
FinishHim! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Head gives up security for more opportunity

If he can be the Delonte West of the Miami Heat, that would be huge. No Question, we need someone who'll hit the 3, but also hustle and play good team ball and finish around the rim.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: