Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Anthony Bennett = Best player in this draft and ROY

I think he's going to be productive offensively, but I believe that other players taken below him are going to be more valuable/impactful for their team.

For a tweener, he's actually quite tall with his 7'1 wingspan. I like that he seems to have a jumpshot - he'll need it a lot in the NBA, he won't just overpower people there. He has the tools to be better than Beasley and Derrick Williams.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    I think he's going to be productive offensively, but I believe that other players taken below him are going to be more valuable/impactful for their team.

For a tweener, he's actually quite tall with his 7'1 wingspan. I like that he seems to have a jumpshot - he'll need it a lot in the NBA, he won't just overpower people there. He has the tools to be better than Beasley and Derrick Williams.

He's extremely strong, he has good size and explosion.

More worried about him being a defensive liability then him being able to score.

Very good NBA starter

canadian version of leon powe.

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

Either is gonna lose weight and try to adjust to SF position or he's gonna bulk some more and become a Maxiell type of player with range

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    canadian version of leon powe.

Bennet is a lot more skilled than powe.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twiens
    Woooooo
    Nice call. I'll admit I didn't see this one coming. I just assumed with Tristan Thompson making such a massive improvement in the last year and with this draft having what seemed like a cluster of guys at the top, the Cavs would steer clear of drafting another power forward.

It's funny... This is the third straight draft -- with the exception of Kyrie -- that they took a guy who I really didn't even look at very closely.

I think one of the main reasons the Cavs decided on Bennett was his ability in the pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop game with Kyrie and Dion. One thing is for sure... It looks like the Cavs remedied their lack of outside shooting last night. Karasev was arguably the best shooter in the draft and Bennett can step out beyond the arc and hit jumpers.

That will definitely cure some of the spacing problems which cropped up last year and give our guards more lanes to drive. I'll be very interested to see how they use Bennett and Thompson together. Should be an interesting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Nice call. I'll admit I didn't see this one coming. I just assumed with Tristan Thompson making such a massive improvement in the last year and with this draft having what seemed like a cluster of guys at the top, the Cavs would steer clear of drafting another power forward.

It's funny... This is the third straight draft -- with the exception of Kyrie -- that they took a guy who I really didn't even look at very closely.

I think one of the main reasons the Cavs decided on Bennett was his ability in the pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop game with Kyrie and Dion. One thing is for sure... It looks like the Cavs remedied their lack of outside shooting last night. Karasev was arguably the best shooter in the draft and Bennett can step out beyond the arc and hit jumpers.

That will definitely cure some of the spacing problems which cropped up last year and give our guards more lanes to drive. I'll be very interested to see how they use Bennett and Thompson together. Should be an interesting lineup.

i guess chris grant said earlier today that Bennett will be coming off the bench initially.

TT played a lot of C his rookie year though. I don't see Bennett as an SF.

Facts Are Misleading

Coming off the bench?

I can't recall a 1st overall pick coming off the bench to start his career.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    i guess chris grant said earlier today that Bennett will be coming off the bench initially.

TT played a lot of C his rookie year though. I don't see Bennett as an SF.
    Draymond Green had solid success playing SF off the bench this year and in terms of talent/athletic ability he's not 1/10 of Bennett, physically it won't be as bad as people are making it out to be for Bennett to guards SF's, he's got a massive wingspan and good strength so he can sag back a bit. I have not watched Bennett enough to know if he's got good defensive instincts like Green which might hurt him.

While due to him being more of a tweener he will probably never be a good defender but if he "wants" to defend he won't be terrible it will come down to desire.
    Last edited by andremiller07; 06-28-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Draymond Green had solid success playing SF off the bench this year and in terms of talent/athletic ability he's not 1/10 of Bennett, physically it won't be as bad as people are making it out to be for Bennett to guards SF's, he's got a massive wingspan and good strength so he can sag back a bit. I have not watched Bennett enough to know if he's got good defensive instincts like Green which might hurt him.

While due to him being more of a tweener he will probably never be a good defender but if he "wants" to defend he won't be terrible it will come down to desire.
    From what I've watched/read, his problems defensively were more about effort than ability. He just looks like he has no desire to play that end of the floor the majority of the time. Like I said, I guess Mike Brown feels like he can teach any young player how to play defense. You'd think a defensive-minded coach would target a guy who shows beastly characteristics on the defensive end of the floor, but it actually seems like the opposite.

He's so confident in his ability to teach guys on that end, he focuses more on the other side of the floor. Very similar to when he pushed for JJ Hickson, who was also said to have questionable traits defensively.

I do think he will be a PF the majority of the time, though. According to everything I'm hearing, Bennett wasn't chosen with the thought of him being the eventual franchise player on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Coming off the bench?

I can't recall a 1st overall pick coming off the bench to start his career.
    Bargnani came off the bench initially for Toronto. He was probably the last one not to start immediately. That's not the most comforting piece of trivia in the world.

Though, it really wouldn't have mattered much who they went with. The only "elite" guy in this draft who was likely to start immediately was Otto Porter Jr. None of the centers were going to start over Varejao and none of the guards were going to start over Irving/Waiters.

From what I've watched/read, his problems defensively were more about effort than ability. He just looks like he has no desire to play that end of the floor the majority of the time. Like I said, I guess
    I do think he will be a PF the majority of the time, though.
    If he can space the floor like they say he can and can at least provide effort on D I don't see why they wouldn't start him at SF to get him some experience and get the chemistry going early. Unless they plan on moving TT he has to play imo, no point letting Alonzo Gee get any playing time over him.

National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

Sucks that this pick probably ruins my ROY prediction. Andy, TT, Zeller, Bennett. Hopefully he splits minutes at the 3/4 as Cavs seem to be weak there.

Is the Russian coming over this year?

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    If he can space the floor like they say he can and can at least provide effort on D I don't see why they wouldn't start him at SF to get him some experience and get the chemistry going early. Unless they plan on moving TT he has to play imo, no point letting Alonzo Gee get any playing time over him.
    Grant has gone out of his way since the draft to say he's a power forward. He also said a couple days before the draft that no one they picked would start immediately, regardless of who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiens
    Sucks that this pick probably ruins my ROY prediction. Andy, TT, Zeller, Bennett. Hopefully he splits minutes at the 3/4 as Cavs seem to be weak there.

Is the Russian coming over this year?

indeed he is. He's also intriguing, son of a coach, extremely high bball iq and can really shoot. Doesn't have great handles or D though.

Grant has gone out of his way since the draft to say he's a power forward. He also said a couple days before the draft that no one they picked would start immediately, regardless of who it was.
    Strange cause I can't see how they would be any better with Gee in the starting line up over him but I guess Bennett and Dion could be like the Jarret Jack/Carl Landry GSW combo on steroids off the bench.