Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The Official All-Time Houston Rockets Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Jordandunk23
    you dont think the best man to man defender in recent rockets history don't deserve to be mentioned among rocket greats?? WOW, i guess i am alone on this one.
    Of course he should be mentioned, but he wouldn't make the all-time Rockets roster.

Decent college freshman

that was one season, his first season with houston and it was a 1st round exit. after that season he has steadily been declining. your the the one who said this roster is strictly about the player impact in houston.
    he might have been declining after that season, but from then on he stayed on par with what drexler did. so if mcgrady's play from '06-'09 was on par with drexlers from '95-'98, then drexler has an argument. but the simple fact remains - mcgrady's '05 was unmatched by not only any shooting guard in rockets history, but it was unmatched by anyone other than olajuwon, hayes, and malone. mcgrady's 2005 was the difference: best player on the rockets, top 9 player overall, all-star, 3rd team all-nba, 26/6/6 regular season, 31/7/7 playoffs. easy decision.
    Rudy T is missing.
    tomjanovich was unlucky. he was next in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep
    he might have been declining after that season, but from then on he stayed on par with what drexler did. so if mcgrady's play from '06-'09 was on par with drexlers from '95-'98, then drexler has an argument. but the simple fact remains - mcgrady's '05 was unmatched by not only any shooting guard in rockets history, but it was unmatched by anyone other than olajuwon, hayes, and malone. mcgrady's 2005 was the difference: best player on the rockets, top 9 player overall, all-star, 3rd team all-nba, 26/6/6 regular season, 31/7/7 playoffs. easy decision.

tomjanovich was unlucky. he was next in line.
    drexler's impact brought a 2nd championship to houston?? impact or individual accomplishments your kinda going back and forth here and there is a difference.

Man yall trippen! My boy Luther Head should be startin on this list! I can't believe no one mentioned him..

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Jordandunk23
    drexler's impact brought a 2nd championship to houston?? impact or individual accomplishments your kinda going back and forth here and there is a difference.
    not at all. mcgrady has had the bigger impact in houston. drexler was added to a team that had already won a championship the previous season.

not at all. mcgrady has had the bigger impact in houston. drexler was added to a team that had already won a championship the previous season.
    well that was a team that was struggling the next season. they weren't desperate but they needed a boost and that's where drexlers impact came in. In my opinion McGrady has had little impact in houston success, atleast post season success. Again he's not all to blame, between injuries, Yao Ming injuries, and supporting cast, but were talking about impact in houston, not individual accomplishments while wearing a rockets jersey. But regardless, mac is not the shooting guard that has made the biggest impact in rockets history. his impact that your claiming is based on his first season as a rocket. the stats are there but the results aren't and stats are strictly individual accomplishments if there are no results.

well that's just my opinion. its a good list nonetheless. I just feel this list, unlike you stated, is based on individual accomplishments, the stats and numbers which is fine.

Decent college freshman

well that was a team that was struggling the next season. they weren't desperate but they needed a boost and that's where drexlers impact came in.
    struggling? 29-17 with thorpe, .500 with drexler.
    In my opinion McGrady has had little impact in houston success, atleast post season success. Again he's not all to blame, between injuries, Yao Ming injuries, and supporting cast, but were talking about impact in houston, not individual accomplishments while wearing a rockets jersey.
    oh so impact only means championships to you? put t-mac on those '95 rockets in place of drexler and seriously say to me that you think they wouldn't win atleast as many games as those rockets did. mcgrady has been the rockets best player 3 different seasons, drexler was the rockets second best player by a very wide margin. impact takes circumstance into the equation, and if you don't have alot of help and are the best player in your team while winning 60% of your games you have a bigger impact than a player who has the second best player in the nba as a teammate, and are barely scraping over .500.
    But regardless, mac is not the shooting guard that has made the biggest impact in rockets history. his impact that your claiming is based on his first season as a rocket. the stats are there but the results aren't and stats are strictly individual accomplishments if there are no results.
    the result is leading his team as far as it could go. dominating during the regular season, and playing even better in the playoffs. you couldn't ask him to do anymore.
    well that's just my opinion. its a good list nonetheless. I just feel this list, unlike you stated, is based on individual accomplishments, the stats and numbers which is fine.
    it is based on impact, circumstance, production, wins, and games played.

struggling? 29-17 with thorpe, .500 with drexler.

oh so impact only means championships to you? put t-mac on those '95 rockets in place of drexler and seriously say to me that you think they wouldn't win atleast as many games as those rockets did. mcgrady has been the rockets best player 3 different seasons, drexler was the rockets second best player by a very wide margin. impact takes circumstance into the equation, and if you don't have alot of help and are the best player in your team while winning 60% of your games you have a bigger impact than a player who has the second best player in the nba as a teammate, and are barely scraping over .500.

the result is leading his team as far as it could go. dominating during the regular season, and playing even better in the playoffs. you couldn't ask him to do anymore.

it is based on impact, circumstance, production, wins, and games played.
    well that was point of the move, regardless of the outcome. struggling, not really but they were looking for a move that will give them the boost. i don't even remember if thats accurate that they went .500 with Clyde but that's why Clyde's impact is that he helped bring another championship to houston because maybe its just me but i guess i regard post season impact and success at alot higher steep than any regular season individual statistics.

you want to talk about circumstances, production, and wins? lol! i don't want to do this to t-mac but you want to talk about circumstances?? how about post season, game 7, late in the 4th quarter... you wan't to talk about production?? yeah there was none. he shy'd away from those moments. He was none present. yeah go ahead put t-mac on those 94-95 rockets, who knows what would have happened. i do know one thing is that clyde has had playoff success before houston. and clyde went to houston past his prime and still had a big impact. saying he was the 2nd best player by a wide margin says more about how great a center Hakeem was, but it doesn't take away from his impact on the rockets.

Decent college freshman

well that was point of the move, regardless of the outcome. struggling, not really but they were looking for a move that will give them the boost. i don't even remember if thats accurate that they went .500 with Clyde but that's why Clyde's impact is that he helped bring another championship to houston because maybe its just me but i guess i regard post season impact and success at alot higher steep than any regular season individual statistics.
    it was .500 with drexler. look it up. and with houston playing much better with thorpe, it would be fair to say that they still would've won the championship if they did not make that trade. hell, the way olajuwon was playing in those playoffs they probably still would've won without either thorpe or drexler. ofcourse playoff stats are important, but you have got to include things like circumstance, eg. teammates, situations.. sure winning championships are nice, but what if you can't get to those situations because you lack help? fair enough if you put up empty stats on the worst team in the nba - you don't deserve recognition, but if you are a part of a successful team, a playoff team, and are the best player on that team, with a trash supporting cast like tmac had you definately deserve recognition, and that recognition, in this case is one of a number of things that results in him being the starting shooting guard in the all time houston rockets roster.
    you want to talk about circumstances, production, and wins? lol! i don't want to do this to t-mac but you want to talk about circumstances?? how about post season, game 7, late in the 4th quarter... you wan't to talk about production?? yeah there was none. he shy'd away from those moments. He was none present. yeah go ahead put t-mac on those 94-95 rockets, who knows what would have happened. i do know one thing is that clyde has had playoff success before houston. and clyde went to houston past his prime and still had a big impact. saying he was the 2nd best player by a wide margin says more about how great a center Hakeem was, but it doesn't take away from his impact on the rockets.
    obviously his impact was worse than that of otis thorpe's, atleast in terms of wins. are you talking about that game 7 where the rockets players not named ming or mcgrady combined for 16 total points, or the game 7 where he had 29 points and 13 assists?

it was .500 with drexler. look it up. and with houston playing much better with thorpe, it would be fair to say that they still would've won the championship if they did not make that trade. hell, the way olajuwon was playing in those playoffs they probably still would've won without either thorpe or drexler. ofcourse playoff stats are important, but you have got to include things like circumstance, eg. teammates, situations.. sure winning championships are nice, but what if you can't get to those situations because you lack help? fair enough if you put up empty stats on the worst team in the nba - you don't deserve recognition, but if you are a part of a successful team, a playoff team, and are the best player on that team, with a trash supporting cast like tmac had you definately deserve recognition, and that recognition, in this case is one of a number of things that results in him being the starting shooting guard in the all time houston rockets roster.

obviously his impact was worse than that of otis thorpe's, atleast in terms of wins. are you talking about that game 7 where the rockets players not named ming or mcgrady combined for 16 total points, or the game 7 where he had 29 points and 13 assists?
    if your talking about impact and circumstances, don't throw stats at me. don't throw stats around wrecklessly. T-mac had good numbers in the playoffs his whole career!! It's not about numbers because that's what your roster is all about. you see a player strictly on his stats. i said nothing about rockets winning or losing those game 7's. fyi it really applies to many games, not just game 7 and not just 2 specific series. I was strictly talking about T-MAC IN THE 4TH QUARTER. that has nothing to do with his teammates, nothing to do with winning or losing the game or series, but strictly his performance in the playoffs. when it mattered most, t-mac disappeared and did not demand the ball on offense. throw all numbers you want at me but i watch basketball not the boxscore. so again you want to talk about impact, you want to talk about circumstances... well there you go.
    Last edited by Jordandunk23; 09-27-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Decent college freshman

if your talking about impact and circumstances, don't throw stats at me. don't throw stats around wrecklessly. T-mac had good numbers in the playoffs his whole career!! It's not about numbers because that's what your roster is all about.
    numbers is only part of what my roster is based on, it is based on impact, circumstance, production, wins, and games played.
    you see a player strictly on his stats
    i can play this game too: you see a player strictly based on whether or not he has hakeem olajuwon playing along side him
    i said nothing about rockets winning or losing those game 7's. fyi it really applies to many games, not just game 7 and not just 2 specific series. I was strictly talking about T-MAC IN THE 4TH QUARTER. that has nothing to do with his teammates, nothing to do with winning or losing the game or series, but strictly his performance in the playoffs. when it mattered most, t-mac disappeared and did not demand the ball on offense. throw all numbers you want at me but i watch basketball not the boxscore. so again you want to talk about impact, you want to talk about circumstances... well there you go.
    you talked about post season, game 7, and i destroyed you accordingly. no need to back track and make excuses now.

numbers is only part of what my roster is based on, it is based on impact, circumstance, production, wins, and games played.

i can play this game too: you see a player strictly based on whether or not he has hakeem olajuwon playing along side him

you talked about post season, game 7, and i destroyed you accordingly. no need to back track and make excuses now.
    ok calm down. destroyed me?? wow well while i was trying to have a logical debate with you, you were taking offense to it. notice my initial tone were not to attack you, you were disrespectful from the get go.

1) you keep saying the roster is based on impact, circumstances, production etc.. i already proved you wrong.

2) then you want to make a ridiculous statement about my statement is strictly because hakeem is on the team. Its clyde drexler?? you have him 2nd. basically the debate was based on my opinion of clyde starting over mac opposed to your opinion of mac over clyde. so obviously, you also think highly of drexler although you keep stating he just piggy backed on Hakeem.

3) lets talk about game 7. my statement stands. he DISAPPEARED. and multiple times when it mattered most mac disappeared. why do i make this argument? because you have him on a pedestal about all the impact he made in houston, yet all ive seen is underachievement and a lack of success.

If i may make a suggestion, when you make a thread, expect people to debate againts you. that's the point of a basketball forum, you can't expect everybody to agree with everything you said. so when i disagree with you, im not disrespecting you and you need to learn to accept that and make your argument accordingly. I don't know how old you are but you sure are carrying yourself immaturely.

So you know what, you don't want anybody to disagree with you YOU WIN. i lost, you have the perfect all time roster. good job.

Decent college freshman

ok calm down. destroyed me?? wow well while i was trying to have a logical debate with you, you were taking offense to it. notice my initial tone were not to attack you, you were disrespectful from the get go.
    i'm sorry you feel that way. if i come across as disrespectful its only because my teams are final, and no changes need to be applied. some choices, however, are alot closer than others, but mcgrady over drexler is not a close call in this case. maybe you might feel more disrespected by me because of this fact, and if it was a closer call i'd show less disrespect. who knows?
    1) you keep saying the roster is based on impact, circumstances, production etc.. i already proved you wrong
    when did this happen?
    2) then you want to make a ridiculous statement about my statement is strictly because hakeem is on the team. Its clyde drexler?? you have him 2nd. basically the debate was based on my opinion of clyde starting over mac opposed to your opinion of mac over clyde. so obviously, you also think highly of drexler although you keep stating he just piggy backed on Hakeem.
    yes, that was ridiculous statement for ridiculous statement. acknowledged . drexler was a fantastic player for the rockets, you wouldn't be included in an all-time team if you weren't. infact i have drexler as the fourth best player off that houston bench after moses malone, elvin hayes, and yao ming - elite company if you ask me. mcgrady was just on another level, and the only time drexler had playoff success was when his teams were stacked.
    3) lets talk about game 7. my statement stands. he DISAPPEARED. and multiple times when it mattered most mac disappeared. why do i make this argument? because you have him on a pedestal about all the impact he made in houston, yet all ive seen is underachievement and a lack of success.
    game 7 against the jazz? when mcgrady scored 8 points in the fourth quarter? when the rockets decided to go to yao ming down the stretch because he was hot? when the result of going to yao resulted in turnovers? when houstons big men could not grab a defensive rebound to save their lives? and you're going to blame tmac for all this? gtfo. drexler never had a superstar type playoff series in his houston career.
    If i may make a suggestion, when you make a thread, expect people to debate againts you. that's the point of a basketball forum, you can't expect everybody to agree with everything you said. so when i disagree with you, im not disrespecting you and you need to learn to accept that and make your argument accordingly. I don't know how old you are but you sure are carrying yourself immaturely.
    lol thanks. you seem like a kewl guy, and i guess i'm just used to dealing with 12 year old twerps on this forum. i'll try and apply this advice to my postings

Saw a basketball once Saskibaloia's Avatar

Starting Five:

Centre: Hakeem Olajuwon
    Centre: Moses Malone
    Shooting Guard: Clyde Drexler
    Shooting Guard: Tracy McGrady
    Point Guard: Steve Francis

Bench:

Yao Ming
    Otis Thorpe
    Kenny Smith
    Shane Battier
    David Andersen

Note: I only put in Shane Battier because currently he's my favourite Rocket and David Andersen because his an Aussie and I'm from The Land Down Under

National High School Star mattevans11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saskibaloia
    Starting Five:

Centre: Hakeem Olajuwon
    Centre: Moses Malone
    Shooting Guard: Clyde Drexler
    Shooting Guard: Tracy McGrady
    Point Guard: Steve Francis

Bench:

Yao Ming
    Otis Thorpe
    Kenny Smith
    Shane Battier
    David Andersen

Note: I only put in Shane Battier because currently he's my favourite Rocket and David Andersen because his an Aussie and I'm from The Land Down Under

Note: your notation going along with this is the exact reason why your opinion doesnt matter..... you tried to make a serious list, then ruin it with this....huh?