Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Insider Request: Pelton: Cavs, Mavs win offseason

Default Re: Insider Request: Pelton: Cavs, Mavs win offseason

cant deny that

cavs - lebron, wiggins

mavs - parsons, very cheap dirk, nelson at 2.7m, aminu at vet min, rj for vet min, tyson, greg smith for free

mavs killed it!

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Bucks are in the top 2 behind Cleveland.

They got the best player in the draft and got Kidd in the process.

That organization is on the definite upswing

College superstar

Cavs definitely won, but I don't think Dallas is number two.

Dirk signing offsets the bad Parsons contract. But Parsons only being two years (right?) makes it better. So it's good, but not great.

I really like what Clippers did, and Boston, and Nets. Denver had a good offseason. Bulls are up there. But the second best offseason might be Charlotte. I don't like the money they gave Marvin Williams, but it's only two years, and other than that, they had a great offseason.

here:

When the question of "Who got better this summer?" was posed at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas earlier this month, there was an easy answer: the Cleveland Cavaliers. By signing LeBron James, the Cavaliers landed the offseason's biggest prize.

Finding other teams that improved was more challenging.

To quantify my answer, I turned to the wins above replacement projections I previously used to rank this summer's top free agents. They incorporate both my box score ratings for next season from the SCHOENE projection system and ESPN's real plus-minus ratings, adjusted for age. For each team, I added up these projections for players lost and added via free agency and trades.

These team ratings don't include the draft and are still a work in progress. In particular, the final two top free agents on the market -- Eric Bledsoe of the Phoenix Suns and Greg Monroe of the Detroit Pistons, both restricted -- will swing things when they sign new contracts. Nonetheless, this method offers a good snapshot of which teams have helped themselves the most heading into the 2014-15 season via free agency and trades and which lost the most talent.

Here's a look at the five biggest winners and five biggest losers of the NBA offseason according to WARP projections.

Biggest improvements

1. Cleveland Cavaliers | plus-9.9 WARP

Key addition: LeBron James
    Key losses: Luol Deng, Spencer Hawes, C.J. Miles

The Cavaliers lost a pair of starters acquired midseason in Deng and Hawes. They added the best player in the NBA. James alone is projected for 21.1 WARP next season, making it somewhat surprising Cleveland isn't projected to improve more. Blame gutting the bench to make room for James' maximum salary. Officially signing Mike Miller (1.2 WARP) will help a little. Adding Kevin Love (14.6, fourth in the league) would help a lot, no matter the package the Cavaliers send in return.

2. Dallas Mavericks | plus-9.1 WARP

Key additions: Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Jameer Nelson, Chandler Parsons
    Key losses: DeJuan Blair, Jose Calderon, Vince Carter, Samuel Dalembert, Shawn Marion

No team has been more active turning over the roster this offseason than the Mavericks, who could have three new starters on opening night: Chandler, Parsons and perhaps either Felton or Nelson at point guard. The result is potentially a major upgrade. Parsons (7.6 WARP) projects better than any player Dallas lost, and the center swap of Chandler (6.6) for Dalembert (2.4) is a boost. Also, give the Mavericks credit for nailing minor moves such as adding Greg Smith (0.7) and Al-Farouq Aminu (3.4) at the minimum salary. Aminu's signing hasn't been announced yet; when it is, Dallas will actually shoot to No. 1 pending a Love trade.

3. Chicago Bulls | plus-4.3 WARP

Key addition: Pau Gasol
    Key loss: D.J. Augustin

Since Nikola Mirotic was a draft pick, this figure includes only Gasol (4.6 WARP) and Aaron Brooks (0.1). Yet the Bulls still rank third in terms of offseason improvement because they lost little of value. Augustin has the best projection of any player they gave up, and he's still projected below 1 WARP because of his poor real plus-minus rating.

4. Utah Jazz | plus-3.1 WARP

Key addition: Trevor Booker
    Key loss: Richard Jefferson

After the top three, it's hard to find teams that made dramatic improvements via free agency and trades. The Jazz, like the Bulls, benefit from some addition by subtraction. Of the 10 players who saw action for Utah who are now gone, six project worse than replacement level -- including Jefferson (minus-0.3 WARP). So any contributions the Jazz get from Booker (0.6) and Steve Novak (1.8) are an upgrade.

5. Portland Trail Blazers | plus-3.0 WARP

Key additions: Steve Blake, Chris Kaman
    Key loss: Mo Williams

Surprisingly, both WARP and real plus-minus rated Williams (minus-0.2 WARP) at or below replacement level last season. So the Blazers may have upgraded at backup point guard with Blake (1.1) while also adding Kaman (1.3) to their thin bench.

Biggest declines

30. Miami Heat | minus-12.4 WARP

Key additions: Luol Deng, Josh McRoberts
    Key losses: Ray Allen, LeBron James

Newton's third law of motion applies to the NBA offseason: For each action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. While James' addition makes the Cavaliers the most improved team, his departure leaves Miami atop the declining list. Deng (5.4 WARP) was a decent Plan B and McRoberts (4.2) a solid addition, but neither can replace the four-time MVP.

29. Houston Rockets | minus-11.5 WARP

Key addition: Trevor Ariza
    Key losses: Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons

Continuing the Newton theme, the loss of Parsons is one reason the Mavericks improved and the Rockets declined. Actually, Ariza (6.4 WARP) has a similar projection for next season. Houston will find reserves Asik (3.5) and Lin (4.1), sacrificed in the pursuit of cap space for a failed run at free agent Chris Bosh, more difficult to replace.

28. Brooklyn Nets | minus-11.4 WARP

Key addition: Jarrett Jack
    Key losses: Shaun Livingston, Paul Pierce

Pierce (6.1 WARP) projects as one of the best players to change teams this summer, and the Nets added no obvious replacement. They will rely on better health from Andrei Kirilenko and the signing of former draft pick Bojan Bogdanovic (who projects below replacement level) to fill Pierce's minutes. Though Brooklyn did deal for Jack as a replacement for Livingston, buyer beware: Jack (minus-0.7) may struggle to reach replacement-level play, let alone Livingston's standard.

27. Detroit Pistons | minus-5.1 WARP

Key additions: D.J. Augustin, Caron Butler, Jodie Meeks
    Key losses: Greg Monroe, Rodney Stuckey

While Stan Van Gundy's first offseason at the helm of the Pistons has produced curious contracts for veterans such as Butler (making $4.5 million for minus-1.1 projected WARP), Detroit hasn't actually declined, provided that Monroe returns (a near-certainty barring a sign-and-trade). Adding his 7.6 projection would put the Pistons near the top of the rankings.

26. New York Knicks | minus-4.4 WARP

Key additions: Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert
    Key losses: Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton

Offensively, Calderon and Dalembert should be an upgrade on the departed duo of Chandler and Felton. Defense is a different story entirely. While Chandler shined in real plus-minus, Calderon (2.8 WARP) lags because of his poor defense. As a result, the Knicks appear to have taken a step backward in the short term while building their base of young talent with the additions of Shane Larkin and the draft pick they used on Cleanthony Early.

OFFSEASON PROJECTED WARP CHANGES (TRADES AND FREE AGENCY)
    Team Lost Added Change
    Cleveland 9.6 19.5 9.9
    Dallas 14.1 23.2 9.1
    Chicago 0.3 4.6 4.3
    Utah -0.7 2.4 3.1
    Portland -0.5 2.4 3.0
    Charlotte 4.6 7.1 2.5
    New Orleans 2.4 4.7 2.4
    Toronto 1.8 3.8 2.1
    Orlando 1.9 3.9 1.9
    Memphis 3.4 5.1 1.8
    L.A. Clippers 2.9 4.5 1.6
    Philadelphia -1.2 0.0 1.2
    San Antonio -0.7 0.0 0.7
    Washington 7.3 7.9 0.6
    Oklahoma City 0.5 1.0 0.5
    Boston 1.9 2.2 0.3
    Minnesota 0.3 0.0 -0.3
    Golden State 2.5 1.7 -0.9
    Denver 1.1 0.1 -1.0
    Phoenix 14.3 11.4 -2.9
    Indiana 5.9 2.9 -3.0
    Milwaukee 3.6 0.0 -3.6
    Sacramento 6.2 2.5 -3.8
    L.A. Lakers 9.3 5.1 -4.2
    Atlanta 6.8 2.5 -4.3
    New York 11.1 6.6 -4.4
    Detroit 8.4 3.4 -5.1
    Brooklyn 10.5 -0.9 -11.4
    Houston 18.2 6.7 -11.5
    Miami 23.8 11.4 -12.4

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

too early to tell, but i think getting David Blatt was good for the cavs. I'd sure as f*ck rather roll the dice with him than hire Gentry or VDN.

College superstar

lol at WARP being the only factor.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    too early to tell, but i think getting David Blatt was good for the cavs. I'd sure as f*ck rather roll the dice with him than hire Gentry or VDN.
    I don't think either of those guys were ever real options for the head job. It's no coincidence that both Gentry and VDN are tight with Griff and he gave both of them courtesy interviews. They get some exposure in a high profile situation, Griff gets the appearance of an exhaustive coaching search. Everybody wins.

Interestingly, the only two guys that were in competition at the end -- Blatt and Lue -- ended up as head coach and assistant. And, I think it was a tremendous choice/job by Griff and Gilbert.

Quite honestly, this has the potential to go down as the single greatest offseason by a franchise in the last 25 years depending on what happens with Love and how the season goes. Couldn't have scripted it any better.

The only downside was losing Zeller and Karasev... and potentially Wiggins/AB. But even that is a relatively small price to pay for what we have the chance to create.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Cavs definitely won, but I don't think Dallas is number two.

Dirk signing offsets the bad Parsons contract. But Parsons only being two years (right?) makes it better. So it's good, but not great.

I really like what Clippers did, and Boston, and Nets. Denver had a good offseason. Bulls are up there. But the second best offseason might be Charlotte. I don't like the money they gave Marvin Williams, but it's only two years, and other than that, they had a great offseason.
    What did the Clippers do besides add Hawes? Hawes will be a nice 3rd big but provides no defense.

Boston drafted well, made a good trade...but are they really going anywhere for now? Still rebuilding...winners in that sense I suppose.

Nets? What did they even do? Make that trade to get Jarrett Jack? Their haul in that deal is probably like a C imo. Lost PP and Livingston.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    lol at WARP being the only factor.
    Lol no shit.

May as well use ppg.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    ****ing awesome gif.
    Didn't know the mavs signed aminu. Nice pickup for them even if he doesnt work out. He can definitely make up for Dirk's weak rebounding and maybe do a little to replace Marion on D.

Our offseason could have been a lot, and I mean a lot, worse considering we lost LeBron.

As a Mavs fan I'm pretty proud. Definitely a top 6 team in the West now.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    What did the Clippers do besides add Hawes? Hawes will be a nice 3rd big but provides no defense.

Boston drafted well, made a good trade...but are they really going anywhere for now? Still rebuilding...winners in that sense I suppose.

Nets? What did they even do? Make that trade to get Jarrett Jack? Their haul in that deal is probably like a C imo. Lost PP and Livingston.
    Hawes is pretty underrated, IMO. Very versatile big man. He's like a poor man's Pau Gasol, but with a 3p shot. Definitely starting caliber, and the Clippers got him as a backup on a good deal money-wise. Clippers also added Farmar, and didn't offer enough to keep Collison (good move). Not earth-shattering moves, but when your roster is oh-so-close, you don't need them.

Boston drafted well, made a good trade to get a pick and a future lottery selection, and who cares if they are going anywhere this season. They're on the upswing and, last I checked, that's the point of rebuilding. They've put themselves in a great position to have quality assets.

As for the Nets, I like Jack more than Livingston, so that may be part of the reason we differ in opinion. I like Karasev a lot as a player. Basically, this team was dead-in-the-water, and they somehow managed to get two quality assets for nothing, with their cap stretched to the limit. Great offseason considering their limitations.