Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who's going to Brazil for the world cup?

Brazilian Footballer's Decapitated Head Reportedly Sent to Wife by Drug Lords
    BY NICK AKERMAN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON OCTOBER 30, 2013
    5,123 reads 8 Icon_comment
    SHARE TWEET
    Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
    Hi-res-170610238-security-services-patrol-as-protestors-gather-prior-to_crop_north (Photo by Scott Heavey/Getty Images)
    Former Brazilian footballer Joao Rodrigo Silva Santos has been kidnapped and decapitated by suspected drug traffickers in Rio de Janeiro.

As confirmed by Matt Roper of the Mirror, the former Bangu, Olimpia, Nacional and Oster player’s severed head was delivered to his wife on the morning of Oct. 29:

The horrified wife of Joao Rodrigo Silva Santos, 35, made the gruesome discovery as she left the house in Rio de Janeiro for work early yesterday morning.

The player's eyes and tongue had been cut out and his head placed inside one of his own rucksacks, police said.

According to ESPN, Santos was grabbed after leaving the local convenience store he owned in Realengo, a lower- and middle-class district located in Rio’s western area.

The victim’s brother-in-law, who refused to be named, suggested Santos' wife remained up all night waiting for her husband’s return, per Roper’s report:

Every time a car passed by she would go to see.

She was getting ready to go to work at around 5:30 a.m. when she heard a noise, opened the front door and saw his rucksack. When she opened it, it was his head.

From what I know, he didn't have any enemies and neither did his wife.

Santos’ wife, Geisha Silva, works as an officer in Rio’s Pacification Units. As reported by Roper, investigators are trying to determine whether her work at a military police base in the area could have triggered the murder.

Police chief executive Rafael Rangel confirmed Silva is a social worker and doesn’t possess the power to make arrests in the street, per Brazilian newspaper O Dia and via Roper:

Mrs Silva has no idea who would have done this.

Neither she, her husband or any other member of the family have suffered any type of threat as far as she knows.

There is nothing that would justify such a barbarous crime.

Such a horrific event will fail to allay fears for next summer’s World Cup. Brazilian football is often linked with gang activity and has produced a plethora of frightening occurrences across the years.

Back in July, referee Otavio da Silva was stoned and dismembered by angry supporters after he fatally stabbed a player for refusing to leave the pitch, per BBC News. As noted by the Daily Mail's Ashley Collman, the official’s head was reportedly put on a stake after the incident.

Many top Brazilian footballers have also seen their loved ones kidnapped by gangs in an attempt to extort huge funds for their release.

Ann Gripper of the Mirror highlighted key incidents in 2006, with stars such as Romario and Robinho being forced to deal with family disappearances, while Pele narrowly escaped two gunmen when they recognised the Brazilian legend in his car.

At the end of 2012, Hulk’s sister was reunited with her family after being taken hostage for a day, per Alex Horlock of the Daily Mail.

A teenager was recently killed during a million-strong protest against the World Cup, which sees major funds spent on sporting stadia rather than the nation's poor, per The Telegraph. Alongside this, protestors recently halted an official FIFA visit to one of the upcoming tournament's arenas, per BBC News.

Just two weeks before Santos' murder, Brazil's largest drug cartel promised a "World Cup of terror," as highlighted by the Daily Mail.

With under eight months until the competition begins and an influx of tourists arrive, it's clear security forces have plenty of work to do
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rial&hpt=hp_t2

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re: Who's going to Brazil for the world cup?

I would without even a little bit of fear. Only losers who havent been 10miles away from home might see this as something "really" dangerous.
    There is 1000x more chance of getting killed while driving than during this world cup.

it will be safe for players but not safe for fans especially the ones that feel like exploring... but anyway..football.. world cup.. rio.. yolo

i'm still planning to go to Rio, but probably not during the WC

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

a buddy of mine is going. South and central america scare the sh*t out of me. Far more dangerous than Qatar or russia or wherever the hell its supposed to be next.

There are going to be a lot of people in town for the World Cup and the infrastructure and security in the touristic areas is going to be top notch. It's probably the safest (but busiest) period to go to Brasil as a tourist.

But as in all countries with lots of poverty, lots of crime and lots of gangs it's probably a smart idea to either stick to the beaten path or travel with people who know what they are doing.

I'm wondering why the drug gangs want to terrorize this event. if anything, i figure it would be good for business.

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    I'm wondering why the drug gangs want to terrorize this event. if anything, i figure it would be good for business.
    Probably because the police is "cleaning" some favelas to make cities appear safer. I don't really know, that'd be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    i'm still planning to go to Rio, but probably just for the ass.

fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    Probably because the police is "cleaning" some favelas to make cities appear safer. I don't really know, that'd be my guess.
    I was going to comment the same. From what I remember reading is that they drove out a lot of people from their homes.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    All three WC host countries from now are not really the safest places to be.

Thanks a lot, Blatter.
    Qatar is pretty safe unless you're there to do manual labor

Quote Originally Posted by yobore
    Qatar is pretty safe unless you're there to do manual labor
    Safe in the sense that you'll be fine as long as you leave your girlfriend at home, steer clear of women, don't drink beer and don't piss of a Qatari citizen. Otherwise you might end up in jail for a couple of years.

I plan on going. I've been reading up on all the shit thats been happening there and it honestly scares the shit out of me. I plan on going with a kid I used to work with who usually goes to Brazil and plans on going for the World Cup. If he doesn't go, I might seriously re consider going. I've been wanting to go since the last one ended.

Getting killed because you went to see people play soccer would be one of the most pointless ways to die.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Safe in the sense that you'll be fine as long as you leave your girlfriend at home, steer clear of women, don't drink beer and don't piss of a Qatari citizen. Otherwise you might end up in jail for a couple of years.

i'd rather not have to drink beer than have to worry about my taxi driver holding me hostage.