Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

OMG even if they do make minimum wage who gives a ****? It's not like anybody can live on minimum wage, help the poor bastards out and quit bitching.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    Why does America have this consensus that people should tip 15%?

I mean these waitress/waiters are making at least minimum wage PLUS tips. This is almost $20-40 per hour. How is that even fair? Thats a very very good wage for someone without a college education and doing some trifling work.

Other jobs like CPAs or attorneys do not get tipped. In fact, with these occupations, people try to take advantage of them and demand free consultations before even signing a retainer with them

No other occupation requires tips, but why restaurants? If those waiters/waitress feel they are underpaid, they can always get another job.

People who work much harder jobs don't even make $20 per hour.
    I am sure this has been pointed out, but minimum wage doesnt apply to servers. There is a difference minimum wage for them, which I think varies by state. Basically, they have to earn minimum wage INCLUDING their tips.

What you don't understand is that they get paid in FULL...minimum wage to serve your. its their job to serve you. They have no other duties BUT to serve you.

So why should they be entitled to a tip? When they are simply doing their job.

If they don't like the wage of being a waitress, they can get another one.

Like some restaurants that charge over 30 dollars a person, the amount of tips become outrageous very easily when there are a party of 5 or more. At this point, charge over 30 a person, the restaurant can easily give their waitresses a higher wage.
    again, no they dont. Server minimum wage is something like 2.50 per hour in the states I am familiar with.

Now, the real tip scam is bartenders. Supposed to be a buck a drink? What a rip off.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    again, no they dont. Server minimum wage is something like 2.50 per hour in the states I am familiar with.

Now, the real tip scam is bartenders. Supposed to be a buck a drink? What a rip off.
    California you get $8 minimum wage even if you are a waitress.

Don't get me started with bartenders.

They want tips for popping a bottle for me.

California you get $8 minimum wage even if you are a waitress.

Don't get me started with bartenders.

They want tips for popping a bottle for me.
    that is not most of the country.

What you don't understand is that they get paid in FULL...minimum wage to serve your. its their job to serve you. They have no other duties BUT to serve you.

So why should they be entitled to a tip? When they are simply doing their job.

If they don't like the wage of being a waitress, they can get another one.

Like some restaurants that charge over 30 dollars a person, the amount of tips become outrageous very easily when there are a party of 5 or more. At this point, charge over 30 a person, the restaurant can easily give their waitresses a higher wage.
    Restaurants are some of the riskiest businesses out there and profit margins are incredibly thin with this system of tippin already in place.....if they had to pay their waiters/waitresses 16-20$/hr so a snotty nosed fugazzy like you would stop bitching, forget about it.

Best advice for you is to stay at home and only interact with the world via the Internet, where your distorted view of reality can remain reinforced by other pre teens agreeing with your simple and clueless ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Restaurants are some of the riskiest businesses out there and profit margins are incredibly thin with this system of tippin already in place.....
    This.

Generally the costs of food, employment, and overhead account for ~70% of most restaurants' gross in the industry. Just thought people should know that since they clearly don't.

   

Its pretty clear you're the idiot. I suspect you are a ****en waiter.

Go get your ass to work on a sunday you dipshit.
    i worked mcdonald's part-time my senior year in HS. went in to computer science right after that and never worked in the food industry again. but i still go to restaurants and i still very much appreciate the many jobs those people do. thank you very much.

BUT here's a major news flash for you since you don't seem to have comprehended it yet: servers get paid about half minimum wage across the states and are expected to make up the rest by tips. the numbers may vary, but that's the basic situation across this land.

hopefully one of these days you'll get off of your bratty little ass and recognise simple reality. in the meantime, your views and the 'stats' you've posted in this thread are quite, quite pathetic.

No wonder youre calling people cheap. Its easy to spend mommy and daddy's money. Try making your own money and see you being super "generous"

I make my own money and think you are coming off like a cheap, miserable prick who doesn't know what the hell you are talking about. I always tip well and never even worked as a waiter though I do know enough about the food biz to know they get shit on constantly and don't get paid what they deserve in most cases. You're just a cheap shit who is desperately trying to justify being a cheap shit so you don't feel like the asshole you are behaving as.

College superstar

Can someone even survive on their own in a state as exspensive as Cali only making minimum wage? Do we expect high school kids who live with their parents to supply the demand for all these service jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i worked mcdonald's part-time my senior year in HS. went in to computer science right after that and never worked in the food industry again. but i still go to restaurants and i still very much appreciate the many jobs those people do. thank you very much.

BUT here's a major news flash for you since you don't seem to have comprehended it yet: servers get paid about half minimum wage across the states and are expected to make up the rest by tips. the numbers may vary, but that's the basic situation across this land.

hopefully one of these days you'll get off of your bratty little ass and recognise simple reality. in the meantime, your views and the 'stats' you've posted in this thread are quite, quite pathetic.
    And in the mean time your stats are completely wrong. Waiters and waitresses make minimum wage in Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    I make my own money and think you are coming off like a cheap, miserable prick who doesn't know what the hell you are talking about. I always tip well and never even worked as a waiter though I do know enough about the food biz to know they get shit on constantly and don't get paid what they deserve in most cases. You're just a cheap shit who is desperately trying to justify being a cheap shit so you don't feel like the asshole you are behaving as.
    Tell that to the subway lady who's serving you food. Ask them how much tips THEY are making.

So a high class expensive restaurant, charging over 50 dollars a plate gets to charge a MANDATORY 18% gratuity? give me a break. No other service ANYWHERE do this.

Go ask your grocery bagger or the cashier how much they are making and how much tips they are getting.

Tell that to the subway lady who's serving you food. Ask them how much tips THEY are making.

So a high class expensive restaurant, charging over 50 dollars a plate gets to charge a MANDATORY 18% gratuity? give me a break. No other service ANYWHERE do this.

Go ask your grocery bagger or the cashier how much they are making and how much tips they are getting.
    Those are shittier jobs dipshit, go ask how much forced labor workers in China make...Go ask how much starving nomadic tribes in Africa make in tips....go ask how much a lifer in peneteniary makes in tips in the laundry room, go ask how much a 14 year old Russian girl forced into sexual slavery makes in tips, you flagrant imbecile...

You don't get the same service from waiting in line and doing your own groceries, and it's also not as satisfying as a formal outting, that's why they don't make tips...

Any other fool proof arguments to excuse your behaviour as a piece of shiiit greedy scum broke biitch?

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Those are shittier jobs dipshit, go ask how much forced labor workers in China make...Go ask how much starving nomadic tribes in Africa make in tips....go ask how much a lifer in peneteniary makes in tips in the laundry room, go ask how much a 14 year old Russian girl forced into sexual slavery makes in tips, you flagrant imbecile...

You don't get the same service from waiting in line and doing your own groceries, and it's also not as satisfying as a formal outting, that's why they don't make tips...

Any other fool proof arguments to excuse your behaviour as a piece of shiiit greedy scum broke biitch?
    What the **** are you talking about? So all of a sudden serving people at a restaurant is a prestigious job?

The baggers job is to Bag, the cashiers job is to man the cash register, the waiter's job is to serve.

Roles are clearly defined. Do your job or get the **** out.

Why dont u go tip your doctor next time for his excellent service. Or the nurse who provided you excellent service. Next time go tip the nurse who cleaned your grandma's diapers 18%.
    Last edited by BMOGEFan; 01-06-2013 at 04:39 PM.