Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Mark Aguirre

Hey Mavs fans…

What are your guys impressions of Mark Aguirre? He seems to be a forgotten Maverick… was a first round, first overall, prolific scorer, an all-star, and led the team to the WCF in 1988, loosing in a deciding 7th game…

I have heard that there was some issues with him in Dallas prior to the trade…

Just curious, why he never gets talked about, or why his number wasn't retired or something… He did alot for the franchise during its infancy…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board
Default Re: Mark Aguirre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Hey Mavs fans…

What are your guys impressions of Mark Aguirre? He seems to be a forgotten Maverick… was a first round, first overall, prolific scorer, an all-star, and led the team to the WCF in 1988, loosing in a deciding 7th game…

I have heard that there was some issues with him in Dallas prior to the trade…

Just curious, why he never gets talked about, or why his number wasn't retired or something… He did alot for the franchise during its infancy…

these are dallas fans, basketball didn't exist to them until 2001 but seriously he is underrated here, although with the influx of great new players he probably is no longer considered as a top 100 all-time talent .
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenryan
these are dallas fans, basketball didn't exist to them until 2001 but seriously he is underrated here, although with the influx of great new players he probably is no longer considered as a top 100 all-time talent .

I wouldn't say Aguirre was ever top 100, but in his time in Dallas, he was at his prime and was an amazing player… He just seems to be forgotten in Dallas - The Mavs were a pretty decent team in the later 80s and Mark Aguirre was there for that time - It seems after the trade (and the Tarpley incedent) the franchise took a turn into its horrible era… The Mavs were ONE game from the finals - I wonder how the Pistons would have fared with them…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
AirJordan23
Local High School Star

AirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat cool

Aguirre was before my time but I've done a lot of research on some of the elite teams of the 80s and watched a couple of Mavs games from that time period. Regarding Mark, I got the feeling that he wasn't a great teammate. He also got into a fight with Derek Harper during a TO and was a key reason for the Mavs' loss in game 7 in the '88 WCF. iirc, he refused to participate since there weren't enough plays being called for him and this would lead to his departure with the Mavs. Both sides left on bad terms since Aguirre was accused of tanking games, not playing his heart out and wanting out. This is probably the reason why they never retired his number because in terms of talent and stats, he is one of the best Mavs ever. I'd say he was a top 5 SF for most of the 80s and this was in an era that was pretty stacked at the 3. Guys like Bird, Nique, Nance, Dantley, English, X-man, Kersey etc.

As a side note, nobody talks about Roy Tarpley when talking about all the "what-if" scenarios. He was on his way to greatness before violating the drug policies.
AirJordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: