Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The race to find dark matter

Quote:
Next Gen Mining When it closed in 2002, Jim Hanhardt had spent most of his 15 years at the Homestake mine looking for gold. Now he's helping to complete its replacement, the Sanford Underground Lab, where his son Mark works as a physics graduate student. John B. Carnett
Between 1876 and 2002, the people of Lead, South Dakota, extracted $3.5 billion worth of gold from the Homestake mine. It was the town’s main business, and when falling prices and diminishing returns finally shut it down, no one was sure what to do with the remaining 8,000-foot hole in the ground. Then, in 2007, the National Science Foundation decided that an 8,000-foot hole would be the perfect place to put its proposed Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, or DUSEL, a massive research complex that will include the world’s deepest underground lab.

Now a team of physicists and former miners has converted Homestake’s shipping warehouse into a new surface-level laboratory at the Sanford Underground Laboratory. They've painted the walls and baseboards white and added yellow floor lines to steer visitors around giant nitrogen tanks, locker-size computers and plastic-shrouded machine parts. Soon they will gather many of these components into the lab’s clean room and combine them into LUX, the Large Underground Xenon dark-matter detector, which they will then lower halfway down the mine, where—if all goes well—it will eventually detect the presence of a few particles of dark matter, the as-yet-undetected invisible substance that may well be what holds the universe together.

The LUX project is just one of at least 10 efforts worldwide to find direct evidence of dark matter, and with a Nobel Prize and longer-term federal investment in play, the 50 researchers of LUX and 2,848 citizens of Lead (pronounced “leed”) are pretty open about wanting to be first. But already there are problems.

Dark matter

I wonder what exactly could be done with Dark Matter? Fuel sources, time travel, God particle, interdimensional travel???
Anti Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The race to find dark matter

found it!

Last edited by kentatm : 01-05-2011 at 04:08 AM.
kentatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That genuine chocolate face didn't even realize she was standing over a gold mine.
Anti Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Coulda sworn I saw PowerGlove post like 2 hours ago. I didn't know anyone was lookin for him or I would have said something.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

AirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Coulda sworn I saw PowerGlove post like 2 hours ago. I didn't know anyone was lookin for him or I would have said something.

I actually don't know what he looks like.

Must of missed when he posted his pic.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
CMsam
Banned

CMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong wayCMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong way

you should have excerpted the part of the article that explains what "dark matter" actually is - which is simply a guesswork theory trying to explain why galaxies remain in tact when the amount and position of the calculable matter in them dictates that they shouldn't.

the only thing we know responsible for gravity is matter/mass, so because galaxies are gravitational anomalies, many theorists just assume the cause is simply matter that we can't see.

but it could be a force or concept that we just have absolutely no comprehension of right now. dark matter might not even exist and these people are spending all this time and money looking for it. it's like betting all your savings on a particular team to win March Madness. They may be a heads-up favorite against any one team, but against the field they're a longshot. I'm really not sure we should be putting federal funds into such a wild goose chase at a time like this.
CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMsam
you should have excerpted the part of the article that explains what "dark matter" actually is - which is simply a guesswork theory trying to explain why galaxies remain in tact when the amount and position of the calculable matter in them dictates that they shouldn't.

the only thing we know responsible for gravity is matter/mass, so because galaxies are gravitational anomalies, many theorists just assume the cause is simply matter that we can't see.

but it could be a force or concept that we just have absolutely no comprehension of right now. dark matter might not even exist and these people are spending all this time and money looking for it. it's like betting all your savings on a particular team to win March Madness. They may be a heads-up favorite against any one team, but against the field they're a longshot. I'm really not sure we should be putting federal funds into such a wild goose chase at a time like this.

I've also read something about dark energy which might because causing the universe's expansion to accelerate so I wonder what the link if any exist between the two.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Naruto-sama
High School Starter

Naruto-sama has a bad reputationNaruto-sama has a bad reputationNaruto-sama has a bad reputationNaruto-sama has a bad reputation

I didn't know dark matter existed in our planet. I thought it was only in space.

i thought the reason they think it exists is because when we scout for other planets far away there is a lot of matter blocking our rays we send out that looks like empty space.
Naruto-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
vinsane01
National High School Star

vinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero

Dark matter

I wonder what exactly could be done with Dark Matter? Fuel sources, time travel, God particle, interdimensional travel???

I guess none of what you've mentioned can be done. They are just trying to find a hint of its existence. I didnt read the article but ive seen a lecture of lawrence krauss and i believe the bronzed colored material in that picture is germanium. According to krauss, theoretically dark matter is all around us and if it bounces off the germanium it will heat it to 1/1000th of a degree. If dark matter really exist, scientists are close to finding it. But harnessing any form of energy or practical usage is like jumping from the stone age to the industrial era. The Large hadron collider is also looking for the dark matter using a different method which is recreating the first seconds of the big bang and i believe they probably get the results before these guys do.
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: