Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
fsvr54
Bitch Hands

Default Re: Dave Chappelle is back

That LD story reminded me of the GOAT

Quote:
Carlin performed regularly as a headliner in Las Vegas, but in 2005 his run at the MGM Grand Las Vegas was terminated after an altercation with his audience. After a poorly received set, filled with dark references to suicide bombings and beheadings, Carlin complained that he could not wait to get out of "this ****ing hotel" and Las Vegas; he wanted to go back east, he said, "where the real people are". He continued:

People who go to Las Vegas, you've got to question their ****ing intellect to start with. Traveling hundreds and thousands of miles to essentially give your money to a large corporation is kind of ****ing moronic. That's what I'm always getting here is these kind of ****ing people with very limited intellects.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
KNOW1EDGE
OREGrOwN

Dave Chappelle is Black
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Pushxx
Pushxx

I absolutely hate comics who take their frustration out on legit audience members.

I am there to see a comic perform. Why make me suffer cause a bunch of people aren't paying attention?

I paid money to see that person. He has to man the fuck up.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvr54
That LD story reminded me of the GOAT

Can you find me an example of Carlin being funny? I haven't seen a ton of his material, but what I've seen is him making a lot of smart and interesting points but he just doesn't have that "it" quality about him that makes him funny. Most great comedians have funny written all over them. They don't even have to try to do too much, because one little gesture can set an audience off. Carlin was so straightforward and almost boring at times like he's giving a university lecture.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Can you find me an example of Carlin being funny? I haven't seen a ton of his material, but what I've seen is him making a lot of smart and interesting points but he just doesn't have that "it" quality about him that makes him funny. Most great comedians have funny written all over them. They don't even have to try to do too much, because one little gesture can set an audience off. Carlin was so straightforward and almost boring at times like he's giving a university lecture.

macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #21
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Carin was an observational comedian. You're looking for more of that slapstick comic.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #22
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Carin was an observational comedian. You're looking for more of that slapstick comic.

No, slapstick is not the right term.

Name a stand-up comedian who is not observational. His delivery just had no humor in it. Delivery doesn't have to be big and wacky necessarily, but it should be unique and have some humorous quality. Nothing about Carlin was unique in that way. He sounded and spoke like most old white dudes but just had thoughts that make you go "aha!"
Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac

Hardly ever makes me laugh. He makes me think, but he doesn't make me laugh. Reminds me of college professors who try hard to be funny with their curriculums.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #24
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
No, slapstick is not the right term.

Name a stand-up comedian who is not observational. His delivery just had no humor in it. Delivery doesn't have to be big and wacky necessarily, but it should be unique and have some humorous quality. Nothing about Carlin was unique in that way. He sounded and spoke like most old white dudes but just had thoughts that make you go "aha!"
Jim Carrey is slapstick. Nothin but impressions and silly faces.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Jim Carrey is slapstick. Nothin but impressions and silly faces.

You're falsely implying that I can't appreciate cerebral, stoically delivered comedy.

Not a big Jim Carrey fan, and not a fan of the Wayans save for Marlon's performance in 'Above the Rim' and some of Damon/Keenan I's works.

Carlin is just bland as an entity.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
You're falsely implying that I can't appreciate cerebral, stoically delivered comedy.

Not a big Jim Carrey fan, and not a fan of the Wayans save for Marlon's performance in 'Above the Rim' and some of Damon/Keenan I's works.

Carlin is just bland as an entity.
You a fan of Chris Rock, Bill Maher, Collin Quinn, Eddie Griffin?

Jim Carrey's stand up is terrible, but his sketch work is amazing. Kill yourself if you don't like the Wayans!

I'm not a huge fan of Carlin, but I can appreciate his work and what he did in his prime of the 70s.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #27
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
You a fan of Chris Rock, Bill Maher, Collin Quinn, Eddie Griffin?

Jim Carrey's stand up is terrible, but his sketch work is amazing. Kill yourself if you don't like the Wayans!

I'm not a huge fan of Carlin, but I can appreciate his work and what he did in his prime of the 70s.

Don't know much of Colin Quinn's material, but I like the others you listed. They all make me laugh more than Carlin.

Jim Carrey was good on 'In Living Color', but most of his films don't do it for me.

Maybe the problem is I haven't seen much of George Carlin's prime... that's why I asked someone to show me something.

Myq Kaplan > George Carlin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-l56gojjM
Old 09-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #28
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

i would've immediately broken jaws if i was there. how dare they interrupt chappelle!
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: