Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: The advanced defensive tactics of today would limit past bigs

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL

OP is retarded. just like 3ball.

Together we proved that post scoring is easier today than before - guys like Al Jefferson, Lopez and Valcunious lead the NBA in post efficiency at the elite rate of 1.00 PPP...

Accordingly, we know that in say, 1996, at least 11 bigs would do better, including: Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Alonzo, Sabonis, Karl Malone, Barkley, Webber, and Kemp.

so it's intuitive... and proven by the stats.
    Last edited by 3ball; 04-05-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    My first assumption was that someone had hacked your account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KNhaDDKCY

Think I was a little too believable like GOB

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Together we proved that post scoring is easier today than before - guys like Al Jefferson, Lopez and Valcunious lead the league in post efficiency at the elite rate of 1.00 PPP...

Accordingly, we know that in say, 1996, at least 11 bigs would do better, including: Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Alonzo, Sabonis, Karl Malone, Barkley, Webber, and Kemp.

I think he agrees with us, but like I just said to LAZERUSS I was a tad too believable haha

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Together we proved that post scoring is easier today than before - guys like Al Jefferson, Lopez and Valcunious lead the league in post efficiency at the elite rate of 1.00 PPP...

Very few here provide the research that you do to back up your opinions. I may not always agree with every one of them, but I really respect you as a poster.

The vast majority of posters on this forum lack knowledge and intelligence, but they don't lack for opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KNhaDDKCY

Think I was a little too believable like GOB

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I assumed it was a joke at first because I didnt right away connect you with any idiocy on that level. And people rarely go from normal to that bad. If its sarcasm....

Ok then....moving on.
    No worries, haven't gone off the deep end just yet

Would you agree with my assumption that if their points wouldn't be higher, their fg% would Be considerably?

A lot of people seem to have the opinion that bigs couldn't shoot then...Then I see guys like Bellamy, and Reed light it up from midrange

Maybe none of the serious posters/fans think what I said in the OP, or the statement above....But it sure seems like it sometimes

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

No worries man, I was being sarcastic. I think all those guys would dominate today...Almost more so with the spacing in the videos above.

In cavs video "Why the Dunk was outlawed" someone said no one does the hook because it simply couldn't be done with today's defences....Seemed serious also....starting to think a lot of people simply can't comprehend what's going on
    I thought it simply had to be, judging by the first 30 seconds on the first clip.

But you never know these days.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I thought it simply had to be, judging by the first 30 seconds on the first clip.

But you never know these days.
    Yeah watching Duncan go to work leaves little doubt as to how Wilt would do today...Who plays Vaguely similar. Wilt reminds me of Duncan but in Shaq's body if he was a Cardio freak. Their Fade away bankshot is a pleasure to watch

Let alone this nonsense I'm seeing about Kareem not being able to do his hook shot as well today

Imagine either of those two on the Warriors with their passing...

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Yeah watching Duncan go to work leaves little doubt as to how Wilt would do today...Who plays Vaguely similar. Wilt reminds me of Duncan but in Shaq's body if he was a Cardio freak. Their Fade away bankshot is a pleasure to watch

Let alone this nonsense I'm seeing about Kareem not being able to do his hook shot as well today

Imagine either of those two on the Warriors with their passing...
    Kareem also got a nice fadeaway. He was very versatile.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAz8EpuNUM

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    He'd eat up the league today...Hell, Gilmore would be a MONSTER with the spacing Im seeing

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    https://youtu.be/i1xqwh7PE4I

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

It's basketball, there is no "advanced" defensive tactics, it's not quantum physics. What today's defenses have is freedom. They are ALLOWED to be much more dynamic than in the past. Being allowed to double off the ball and being allowed to play "in between" committing to helping or staying home enables the defense to much easily and greatly impact spacing, rhythm and time.

So that it is much easier for defenders to help and recover, rotations are much shorter because the help can come from a shorter distance. 1 on 1 defense is harder to play but team defense is much easier, and I'm certain EVERYONE would agree that team > individual.

Certainly it's easier to affect a team's offensive efficiency as is evident in the numbers (speaking specifically about offensive efficiency in the 80's and 90's vs today) however that is not the where the biggest impact is made.

The biggest impact is on time and opportunity. It takes more time to get open shots and more time to get the ball to your most proficient offensive player. The effect is exponentially
    more pronounced for offensive player's who rely on low post play to be dominant scorers.

Because the defender is allowed to play freely between ball and man, the defender is allowed to sag all the way back to the post player to discourage the entry pass and still be able to recover. On top of that weakside defenders can also sink down and play defense on a post player who doesn't even have the ball.

So the angles for the entry pass are more acute, so a post player has to start his offense one or two more steps farther than where is is most effective. Added to this if he does get the ball he has less time to operate.

So, previously his avg catching point would be say 3-6 ft from thee basket, now its 6-9 ft. Where he had an average of 10-14 seconds to go to work, now he has 8-11 secs. So the amount of opportunities inarguably decrease in this era, the amount of FGA inarguably decrease also, markedly decrease at that.

You would literally have to FORCE feed a low postplayer every possession for him to avg 20 FGA. Just being able to get the ball in his hands to begin with is MUCH more difficult.

This is why ppp is irrelevant, cause bigs these days much more seldomly touch the ball in positions where they can attack.

80's/90's = 50 touches, 20 FGA on avg
    00's-??= 25 touches, 10 FGA

then when an offensive player DOES get the ball in prime position with time to work, the much more dynamic and amorphous help defense makes READS much more difficult. Is a guy helping is he staying? do i dropstep baseline or go middle? Do I pass to back to the entry passer or skip it across the court because the defense it tilted to my side.

Many more decisions to make, far less time to make them. I dont see how ANYONE disagrees with this, this is fundamental FACTS.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 04-05-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Whether 60s/70's centers played today, or the bigs from today back then how would you rank the top 5 for each if they all played together?

If you think the rule differences might change someones positioning in either direction say so ...Fir instance I could actually see Reed doing a lot more damage with todays relaxed dribbling rules

yup you're right OP. Kareem, Hakeem, Ewing would all be bench players in today's league

Shaq would dominate in any era