Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Default I think Steve Smith may have made the same mistake Houshmandzadh did...

they were both very relied upon by their first teams and had great rapport with their QB's where their last years with those teams they were considered up and commers, and as a result gained a lot of respect around the league as very good WR's. they could have both stayed and played out long, fruitful careers with those first teams and flourished.

then they both leave for greener pastures, or more money in Housh's case i believe, and lose that understanding of the offense, system, and most importantly role they had and become after-thoughts where nobody wants them when they aren't in the same situation to succeed with their new teams, at the very least not in anywhere near the same pivotal roles they had.

obviously Steve Smith hasn't gone too far down that road yet, but to me i wouldn't be surprised at all if his future ends up the same after this season, or near future
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: I think Steve Smith may have made the same mistake Houshmandzadh did...

Steve Smith (i assume you mean the guy on the Eagles) is a very good possession receiver and I expect him to possibly replace Avant in the future if he continues to improve... Avant is very good, but I think smith can be better. I think we resign him next season and he continues to be an eagle..

he's only got 2 catches so far, but according to NY giants, he shouldnt even be healed and practicing, let alone playing yet...

IMO, he'll improve and find a long term spot on this team if he doesnt have an injury setback.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Default Re: I think Steve Smith may have made the same mistake Houshmandzadh did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Steve Smith (i assume you mean the guy on the Eagles) is a very good possession receiver and I expect him to possibly replace Avant in the future if he continues to improve... Avant is very good, but I think smith can be better. I think we resign him next season and he continues to be an eagle..

he's only got 2 catches so far, but according to NY giants, he shouldnt even be healed and practicing, let alone playing yet...

IMO, he'll improve and find a long term spot on this team if he doesnt have an injury setback.

thing is he's gone from being a 1st, arguably 2nd option to a 3rd wheel and he's not surpassing Maclin or Desean unless they get hurt. that drops his value considerably and is tied to what he will make in the future. i also can't see him getting the same targets and passes from Vick he got from Eli, who favored Steve Smith a lot.

don't get me wrong i think he's very talented but i thought Housh was too. even last year with the Ravens Housh showed he can still play and he's a big body WR(despite the choke drop he had in the clutch at the end of last year), and yet nobody wants him.

the more i watch how quickly big name players or up and commers fall off in this league the more i think how dumb players/agents can be leaving great situations for whatever reasons. how much a team is willing to make u the focus seems to be the biggest factor to NFL player success, and he has killed himself in that regard.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

he was the 3rd receiver in NY too.. Eli just used him alot.. since he was hurt, this is a transition year for him (just like Ronnie Brown and a few other guys we picked up)

these guys werent going to get better deals then they got here, so they figure they play with us for a year, and then see who wants their services next year. Its not like he just decided he was leaving NY... He was a free agent and the Giants were lowballing him and putting out the word that he was hurt in order to scare off the other teams... the eagles called bluff and signed him anyway... He felt he was getting the shaft from NY so he stepped off...

He is only 26, so he has plenty of career left, he just needs to improve this year and show some worth to either the Eagles or some other team if we dont resign him...

I like this move, and he has a good chance of sticking here...

I can see where Tj went free agent and fell off, but this seems like a different circumstance to me
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

He was offered less money to stay in NY. If he had any concern over the long term health of his knee it would be stupid for him to play for pennies. All he has to do is prove that he's healthy, his talent is already proven.

He said the reason he came here was because the Eagles said they would discuss an extension with him should he prove healthy. 5 snaps week 1, 18 snaps week 2, and Morningweg says he'll get more this week. Crazy since the Giants said he wouldn't be ready until November at the earliest.

Housh is like 35 years old.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

i wonder what the dollar differences were between the Giants offer and Philly.

i just think in terms of re-signing thats where he's going to lose his value as a 3rd option with the Eagles vs a focus for the Giants. there is just no way i can see the Eagles paying a lot for their 3rd WR vs the Giants being a 1st/2nd option WR. i just can't see him being a focus nearly as much for the Eagles that he was for the G-men, and thats really where dropping off in value in this league comes in IMO.

Housh's career spiraled downward right after he left the Bengals with a much worse QB and system, and if he'd have never left and settled for less(altho still a lot of money) he'd have had a good long career with the Bengals, i'd bet on it. and he played well for the Raven's last year, even if he was only part time, he was a huge target that could generally catch the ball in traffic pretty well.

as for the health part, i don't think anyone knew for sure and most were surprised he got healthy this fast. including the eagles...

Last edited by Godzuki : 09-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: