Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Amir Johnson fights ball away from ref, is ejected, throws mouthguard at ref

Amir should try a sneaky head butt next time. Refs forget these are the guys people wanna watch. Their egos out of the charts in these days.

Default Re: Amir Johnson fights ball away from ref, is ejected, throws mouthguard at ref

what was the refs problem... every player tries to go get the feel of the ball after a free throw

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    Amir does this after every free throw. He touches the ball, feels it and gives it back to the ref. This is just the ref power tripping again. Amir will get 1 game for throwing the mouth-guard. Anything more than that would be stupid and excessive...
    i hate nba refs........but "He touches the ball, feels it and gives it back to the ref"....that is just lame, stop doing that

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    what was the refs problem... every player tries to go get the feel of the ball after a free throw
    Every player, right? We've got a league full of retards then.

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

What a badass.

What's the big deal with the whole feeling the ball situation anyway. What kind of guy needs a ritual to stand waiting for another guy to shoot a freaking free throw? It's a raptors game, let's get in an out of it as quick as possible

Stupid from Amir. If the ref's not giving that ball up there's no way Amir was walking away from that unpunished. Is an ejection harsh, yeah, but pretty idiotic all in all.

NBA lottery pick

WTF is that dumbass Johnson doing. They should give him 50 games for being an idiot, and one for throwing his mouthpiece at the referee.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    I have no idea why the ref made such a big deal out of Amir rubbing the ball during a dead ball.

Dirk usually bounces the ball a couple times on FTs he isn't shooting before he gives it to back to the refs and they have never bothered him about it.
    I don

College superstar

is REJECTED* out of game

-Smak

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Chapallaz
    Maybe Amir saw a chance to get actual touches in the paint.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Amir ejected, Aaron Gray enters game for 8 minutes. GAME OVER.

Real life, you just don't take things from the hands of other people without asking. Needless to say you just don't try to take the ball from a ref, and even worse proceed to force your will.

Amir thought he was Kobe and the ref a white girl, understandable mistake.

NBA Superstar

I think there's an order of operations here. Many ball players may feel and grab the ball when they can in between free throws, but they don't do it by just randomly grabbing it out of the official's hands. Moreover, if those players did try to steal it out of the official's hands and were refused, they wouldn't try to fight him for it.

I have seen a few posts wondering what the official was doing, grabbing the ball as it fell through the net, preparing for the following free throw. I say, he was doing his job. If a player can sneak in there and rub the ball, more power to them. And if the official grabs it and a player says, "Ey, let me get that rock for a minute" and the official complies, then again, more power to him. But if a ref's got the ball, he's not obligated to fulfill each player's fantasy about rubbing it before the second free throw, especially if that player decides he's willing to fight over it.

All that said, I remember Amir in Detroit and he really does seem like a relatively chilled out guy. I think this was just an awkward situation. Amir tried to make a power move and take the ball from the ref (wrongfully figuring it wouldn't be a big deal) then when he was refused, I think he probably felt he was already in too deep to give it up. Maybe there was some humiliation there (i.e. I'm going to look retarded for being shut down by a ref in a situation like this) which maybe led to him trying harder to get the rock. Then, before you know it, things get really weird and you're ejected.

This actually happened during a Knicks game against the 6ers I believe. I think Nick Young or someone asked for the ball and the ref held it away from him then gave it up for the next free throw. With the new rules about delay of game and stuff, it's probably just a part of that. Want to keep the game going without any unneeded delays.

There's literally NO reason for players to grab the ball after a free throw and play with it. As soon as the ref said no, Amir should've been done with it.

I'll say Amir gets 3-4 games. One game for fighting with the ref in the first place, then 2-3 for throwing his mouthguard at him.