Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Kobe responds to Jordan...

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    It goes beyond aping MJ's moves. It's trying to ape his mannerisms, swagger, gum chewing, fist pumping, interview cadence, manipulating and copying of exact MJ moments, etc.

Kobe took imitation to a borderline creepy level, especially earlier in his career.. .

I agree with this. It's not about the actual basketball moves, it's more about the ''he can't guard me'' type of copy moves. It's normal for a average 10 years old kid on the playground to do this, it's normal to see a highschool player celebrate the exact same way Jordan did, but it's quite weird to see an adult NBA superstar with his own NBA legacy do this.
    Last edited by LBJ 23; 10-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ 23
    I agree with this. It's not about actual basketball moves, it's more about the ''he can't guard me'' type of copy moves. It's normal for average 10 years old kid on the playground to do this, it's normal to see a highschool player celebrate the exact same way Jordan did, but it's quite weird to see an adult NBA superstar with his own NBA legacy do this.
    You're trying too hard.

Name me one original player in the NBA that invented all of his own manerisms and moves.

Definitely not LeBron. Even he does the Jordan fist pump celebration.

I'll wait.

After you're done with that, name me one player that wouldn't want to be like Michael Jordan.

Still waiting.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 7_cody
    You're trying too hard.

Name me one original player in the NBA that invented all of his own manerisms and moves.

Definitely not LeBron. Even he does the Jordan fist pump celebration.

I'll wait.

After you're done with that, name me one player that wouldn't want to be like Michael Jordan.

Still waiting.
    Lebron is far more original than Kobe Lebron can be described as hybrids of various players before him but no singular player is like him. lebron is one of the most unique players ever while Kobe is a downgraded lower level imitation of Jordan

I've never been mad at Kobe from copying MJ's moves. Hell, I did the same thing when I used to ball. The thing that pissed me off about Kobe when he first came on the scene is when he denied it, saying Magic was his favorite player growing up.

Now, how many of you had a favorite player growing up--but wound up copying the moves of another player completely? GTFOWTBS

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopz2332
    Lebron is far more original than Kobe Lebron can be described as hybrids of various players before him but no singular player is like him. lebron is one of the most unique players ever while Kobe is a downgraded lower level imitation of Jordan
    Is there anything original about LeBron? He isn't the first point forward. He isn't the first playmaker. What did he invent?

So not being able to master every move from other great players before you is more impressive than being able to master any move?

Ok. If you say so. I respectfully disagree that Kobe trying to be like MJ is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    I've never been mad at Kobe from copying MJ's moves. Hell, I did the same thing when I used to ball. The thing that pissed me off about Kobe when he first came on the scene is when he denied it, saying Magic was his favorite player growing up.

Now, how many of you had a favorite player growing up--but wound up copying the moves of another player completely? GTFOWTBS
    yeah I didn't like that either. I have always thought that he only said that because he is a Laker, and it makes a better story

MJ was obviously his favorite player...

Local High School Star

You're trying too hard.

Of course you're right with this one. But with Kobe it goes beyond that and you know it.

And I'm not saying that it's wrong, I'm just saying it's weird cuz Kobe really didn't need to do this. He was so good/famous/hyped up at such an early age that he would be where he is now without being Jordan nr. 2 as far as manerisms go. I can see some scrub doing this trying to become more famous but for Kobe it really wasn't neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ 23
    Of course you're right with this one. But with Kobe it goes beyond that and you know it.

And I'm not saying that it's wrong, I'm just saying it's weird cuz Kobe really didn't need to do this. He was so good/famous/hyped up at such an early age that he would be where he is now without being Jordan nr. 2 as far as manerisms go. I can see some scrub doing this trying to become more famous but for Kobe it really wasn't neccessary.
    ok fair enough, IMO he didn't do it on purpose it just came naturally after spending his entire life trying to be like MJ. Too bad he didn't copy MJ's shot selection, limited 3-pointer attempts and increased effort into finding the higher percentage shots, instead he fell in love with MJ's hero shots and difficult to guard fadeaways

Even someone like me, say I was good enough to go pro (hahah, yeah right!), even I would probably use some of Kobe's manerisms and verbage without meaning to. I'd be like, "We just didn't execute well enough. We need to execute better." ya know, I don't know, I would love to be like MJ or Kobe personally

Think on the business side too, if a business is successful, than other entrepreneurs will try to copy that. It's hard to invent a business model, but profits can be made by successfully copying something that already works

Great college starter

Is there anything original about LeBron? He isn't the first point forward. He isn't the first playmaker. What did he invent?
    There has never been a player like in all aspects like Lebron.

This is the breakdown they did on Lebron on ESPN countdown

How Good Is LeBron James?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO_yl_oRQR4

So not being able to master every move from other great players before you is more impressive than being able to master any move?

Ok. If you say so. I respectfully disagree that Kobe trying to be like MJ is a bad thing.
    Taking a few moves from Jordan is one thing, jacking his mannerisms is another level of weirdness on some stalker sh!t.

Kobe Bryant is gone from the NBA playoffs, but he remains the most riveting and controversial figure of the postseason. Even his absence fills the room.

Bryant solidified his position as the most polarizing player in the NBA with a wildly inconsistent and confounding series against the Suns. There he is, passing and moving without the ball and generally playing like Steve Nash. There he is, putting up 50 because his team needs it. There he is, petulantly putting up three shots in the second half of the seventh game, just to prove a point about the inadequacies of his teammates.

And to think, the seventh-game disappearance came just as everyone was ready to attach a new description -- team player -- on him.

Say what you want, but he's the only guy who could have pulled that one off.

How's this for redirecting responsibility: You can make a good case that 90 percent of Kobe's problems stem from the lingering, and bizarre, national fixation with Michael Jordan. Kobe is part of the fixation; he's groomed himself to be the successor to the point of imitating Jordan's mannerisms.

And that, more than anything, is why every game featuring Kobe comes across not as a basketball game but as "Kobe on Kobe."

He's been trying so hard to be someone else -- or someone else's version of who he should be -- that he isn't really anybody. From the outside, his words seem hollow and his actions seem borrowed.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=keown/060510
    Last edited by Hoopz2332; 10-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Lebron was dipped in Kobe Bryant gear...even trying to swagger jack Kobe's do.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Who stole anything from Kobe?

Off the top....

Marshon Brooks

Paul George

Kyrie Irving

Andrew Wiggins

and just like MJ in the 90's.....we all wanted to be like mike.....but honestly who could?

who stole from MJ and actually used it in game and suceeded?.....hardly anyone.

Banned

Lol @ This generation copying Kobe. And it's true. We see that in chuckers like Melo and Westbrook. Kobe has embraced ball hogging and chucking in basketball.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    Off the top....

Marshon Brooks

Paul George

Kyrie Irving

Andrew Wiggins

and just like MJ in the 90's.....we all wanted to be like mike.....but honestly who could?

who stole from MJ and actually used it in game and suceeded?.....hardly anyone.
    none of those guys play like Jordan therefore they don't play Kobe.

none of those guys play like Jordan therefore they don't play Kobe.

- actually all of them play like Kobe....

Brooks especially.....not only do I recognize this.....but so does Brooks ( as he always says he patterned his game after Kobe)

so either me , Marshon and most fans are lying....or you don't understand basketball.

( same goes with PG 24)