Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516

Default Re: the ultimate ish otc funk/soul/jazz thread

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    since we are on the prince wagon:

DMSR from 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcLM...eature=related
    Cloreen Bacon Skin

15 minutes of unadulterated dunk by Prince and Pete's favorite Morris Day.

5-time NBA All-Star

hey

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    hey
    Clyde McPhatter: Love Please

NBA Superstar

I'm not huge into funk or soul, but I do like jazz. The problem is, I'm having a tough time getting my feet off the ground and finding specific artists to focus in on (aside from the super most popular names I've heard like Miles Davis and Louie Armstrong). I'm interested in traditional jazz (if that's what it's called), as opposed to comtemporary Kenny G type stuff. I'm particular a fan of songs featuring prominent piano and perhaps, trumpet.

Do any of you guys have a direction you could point me? I'm ignorant enough about this music that this thread was tough to work through because I couldn't tell by name which links were going to be funk, which were going to be soul and which were going to be jazz. For the time being, my outlet for this genre has been a jazz channel on Pandora.

Whatever happened to playtetris?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm not huge into funk or soul, but I do like jazz. The problem is, I'm having a tough time getting my feet off the ground and finding specific artists to focus in on (aside from the super most popular names I've heard like Miles Davis and Louie Armstrong). I'm interested in traditional jazz (if that's what it's called), as opposed to comtemporary Kenny G type stuff. I'm particular a fan of songs featuring prominent piano and perhaps, trumpet.

Do any of you guys have a direction you could point me? I'm ignorant enough about this music that this thread was tough to work through because I couldn't tell by name which links were going to be funk, which were going to be soul and which were going to be jazz. For the time being, my outlet for this genre has been a jazz channel on Pandora.
    Grant Green is a jazz guitarist that I like a lot. He has a smooth, low-key sound. Freddie Hubbard is usually who I listen to when I want to listen to hard bop/bebop.

Also, listen to Christian Scott asap. He is the best modern jazz artist I've heard. Angola, LA & the 13th Amendment might be my favorite jazz song ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm particular a fan of songs featuring prominent piano and perhaps, trumpet.
    Given this description I would say a good starting point is Herbie Hancock's earlier stuff. Empyrian Isles or Maiden Voyage would be good records to first get into. Those are some of the greatest jazz records ever, featuring a pianist leader (actually not that common in jazz), a fantastic rhythm section and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

If you are looking for something slightly more traditional, I would reccommend you to look into some of Thelonious Monk's earlier work such as Brilliant Corners and Monk's Music.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Given this description I would say a good starting point is Herbie Hancock's earlier stuff. Empyrian Isles or Maiden Voyage would be good records to first get into. Those are some of the greatest jazz records ever, featuring a pianist leader (actually not that common in jazz), a fantastic rhythm section and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

If you are looking for something slightly more traditional, I would reccommend you to look into some of Thelonious Monk's earlier work such as Brilliant Corners and Monk's Music.
    Awesome. That all sounds right down my alley. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Grant Green is a jazz guitarist that I like a lot. He has a smooth, low-key sound. Freddie Hubbard is usually who I listen to when I want to listen to hard bop/bebop.

Also, listen to Christian Scott asap. He is the best modern jazz artist I've heard. Angola, LA & the 13th Amendment might be my favorite jazz song ever.
    Thanks for this too. I'm not sure how I feel about jazz guitar yet but I'm willing to give it a shot.

College star

this thread needs a bump, since I recently hit an old-school record store and reactivated my LP player.

fits this thread only barely, but I've revisited Jethro Tull and cannot stop being amazed at the virtuosity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWubhw8SoBE