Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #211
gigantes
   

Default Re: Time to end this debate: Best player in the 2000's: Duncan or Shaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Well then your youngest brother must be a hell of a lot older than you. I've worked fulltime for half a decade, when I started you most likely weren't even in junior high.
lol... you worked fulltime for half a decade, as if that's meant to impress anyone.

but i do suggest you look into intermediate math and basic english since you're struggling with the concept of the word "younger".

Quote:
Not many of those people reside outside of San Antonio.
sure, whatever.
that's why this thread has gone on so long- because everyone who prefers duncan must be a homer.

i'll tell you what- i'll leave you to your shaq worship and head back to the nets forum where i don't have to put up with your tiresome presence.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #212
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
lol... you worked fulltime for half a decade, as if that's meant to impress anyone.

I was pointing that out because you assumed I was a college kid.

Quote:
yes, i suggest you look into intermediate math and basic english since you're struggling with the concept of the word "younger".

You said youngest not younger. You could have a few older brothers, and you could use the youngest of those as an example. he could still be your youngest brother, it doesn't mean he has to be younger than you.

Despite implying that you're an adult, I still don't buy it. You seem like some 15 year old punk to me.

Quote:
sure, whatever.
that's why this thread has gone on so long- because everyone who prefers duncan must be a homer.

It's funny that you're being sarcastic, yet if you weren't you'd actually be right for once.

Quote:
i'll tell you what- i'll leave you to your shaq worship and head back to the nets forum where i don't have to put up with your tiresome presence.

That sounds like a smart idea, go run and hide. You're getting your ass handed to you in this thread so that sounds like a good idea for you.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #213
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Yeah, don't forget Shaq had already been in the league like 8 years in 2000. So, that's not a fair comparison. People also sleep on Shaq's defense. The only place Shaq fails at defense, is the pick and roll... but that's only if the big can shoot jumpers.

People have gone at Duncan. Remember Amare going at Duncan. Nobody ever went at Shaq. Why? Because he would knock them down. Shaq might not be as skilled of a defender, but even today you can see the amount of intimidation people have when driving on him. He turns most into jump shooters and treats the rest like Stuckey.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #214
rzp
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Yeah, don't forget Shaq had already been in the league like 8 years in 2000. So, that's not a fair comparison. People also sleep on Shaq's defense. The only place Shaq fails at defense, is the pick and roll... but that's only if the big can shoot jumpers.

People have gone at Duncan. Remember Amare going at Duncan. Nobody ever went at Shaq. Why? Because he would knock them down. Shaq might not be as skilled of a defender, but even today you can see the amount of intimidation people have when driving on him. He turns most into jump shooters and treats the rest like Stuckey.

-Smak

well said ... Shaq is underated defensively as mutch as TD is overrated ...i also remember some VC and Lebron sick dunks on TD . Also i believe Shaqs dominance and intimidation turned many bigs that would be naturally centers into soft-panzies-7foot-pf-jump-shooters like KG , Sheed , Dirk ...just my opinion anyway
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #215
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Overall he was nothing more than a role player that series, a role player who had 1 superstar type game.
some role. kobe's role was to minimize the impact of the opposing teams most dangerous offensive option, and to come up huge in series defining moments, so i guess if you want to call him a role player then go ahead, just recognise his role was greater than anyone on the lakers team not named o'neal, and that he was the second most valuable player of that series.
Quote:
It's an example
which has become a destroyed example
Quote:
27 shot attempts, 33% shooting. pathetic.
pathetic? you tell me a "role player" who wouldn't be happy with 26 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and 2 blocks, with only 1 turnover and holding his man to 2-10 shooting from long range.
Quote:
Kobe was no superstar yet.
yes, this was kobe's first year as a superstar
Quote:
And yet he still got his 25 points on a respectable number of shots.
but he didn't take over the game, and he didn't do enough to get his team a victory
Quote:
I don't round up an inch. I round up a quarter inch, should I go around saying I'm 5-7 3/4 when asked? No, almost everyone rounds to the closest number.
no, you should say 5-7. are you 5-8? no, you're not 5-8, so you'd be lying. are you 5-7? yes, you are 5-7
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #216
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
some role. kobe's role was to minimize the impact of the opposing teams most dangerous offensive option, and to come up huge in series defining moments, so i guess if you want to call him a role player then go ahead, just recognise his role was greater than anyone on the lakers team not named o'neal, and that he was the second most valuable player of that series.

Of course his role was much greater than anyone on the Lakers not named Shaq. Kobe was still an all-star/borderline star that year, but in the series he didn't produce quite at that rate. He excelled in his defensive role and was a streaky scorer.

Quote:
pathetic? you tell me a "role player" who wouldn't be happy with 26 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and 2 blocks, with only 1 turnover and holding his man to 2-10 shooting from long range.

Name me a coach who would be happy with a player shooting 33% and scoring 26 points on 27 shots? They won the championship so it didn't turn out to be a big deal, but they won more because of Shaq's 41/12/4 game.

Quote:
yes, this was kobe's first year as a superstar

I can't agree with you there, however Kobe was easily a superstar the next season.

Quote:
but he didn't take over the game, and he didn't do enough to get his team a victory

Yeah, but it wasn't a shutdown defensive effort by Kobe. Miller got his points, just not enough to counter Shaq's dominant game. Indiana was just overmatched, their best 2 players were Miller and Jalen Rose while the Lakers had Shaq and Kobe. There really was almost no chance of Indiana winning that series. Kobe's injury gave them a shot because you can't win with 1 player(O'Neal) but once Kobe was back in reality we both know Indiana wasn't going to win unless Miller went off for 35+ per game which he' was not capable of doing at that point.

Quote:
no, you should say 5-7. are you 5-8? no, you're not 5-8, so you'd be lying. are you 5-7? yes, you are 5-7

I can say almost 5-8.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #217
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Of course his role was much greater than anyone on the Lakers not named Shaq. Kobe was still an all-star/borderline star that year, but in the series he didn't produce quite at that rate. He excelled in his defensive role and was a streaky scorer.
he didn't produce at that rate most likely due to the injury he had in game 2, but numbers aside his impact was still there
Quote:
Name me a coach who would be happy with a player shooting 33% and scoring 26 points on 27 shots? They won the championship so it didn't turn out to be a big deal, but they won more because of Shaq's 41/12/4 game.
the lakers won, and they wouldn't have without bryant's contributions
Quote:
I can't agree with you there, however Kobe was easily a superstar the next season.
oh well, disagreeing with me means you're wrong
Quote:
Yeah, but it wasn't a shutdown defensive effort by Kobe. Miller got his points, just not enough to counter Shaq's dominant game. Indiana was just overmatched, their best 2 players were Miller and Jalen Rose while the Lakers had Shaq and Kobe. There really was almost no chance of Indiana winning that series. Kobe's injury gave them a shot because you can't win with 1 player(O'Neal) but once Kobe was back in reality we both know Indiana wasn't going to win unless Miller went off for 35+ per game which he' was not capable of doing at that point.
indiana had a very good chance of winning that series. they had huge chances in game 2 and game 4, which would give them 2 more wins and the championship. kobe also guarded mark jackson, who made 3 field goals, including a hook shot from half court. i believe doug collins said it best when he said something along the lines of "kobe's impact is much more than his field goal makes and attempts when you look at his ability to break down defenses, make passes, defend, and create lanes from nothing"
Quote:
I can say almost 5-8.
no you can't
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: