Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Ama're Stoudemire Accepts Sixth Man Role

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
    He played, scored well and won with Nene, Camby, AND Kenyon Martin (a player very similar to Amare on the offensive end)....PLUS AI running around dominating the ball as he playing began himself out of the NBA. He can do it, doesn't mean that's what's best for the team.

Anyways. The lineup of Felton/Kidd/Brewer/Melo/Tyson fits very well together. It is most successful starting lineup in the NBA, because they can play defense at all 5 positions, specifically Melo who can defend the pf position (even if it's a legit pf), and rebound the position while giving the Knicks a huge offensive advantage. Meanwhile, when either one of Tyson or Melo go to the bench, the team struggles and is currently searching for the right player to back them both up with Rasheed Wallace and even played Chris Copeland....that's where Amare is needed.

So you have the most successful starting lineup. Add Amare to the bench with JR Smith/Iman Shumpert/Novak/Wallace/Camby/Prigioni and you cement the fact that you have the best, most well rounded bench in the NBA. I mean that team off the bench could be as good as the starting lineup for the Knicks in 2010 when they were "reborn" . That's where the games will really be won. They're going to blow teams out of the water (especially weaker teams). They're going to limit minutes for everyone as well, which will keep them fresh for the post season.

Melo does not rebound the position. How can people get on Amare when Anthony rebounds less, even while at PF? This is not Marc Gasol's rebounding numbers looking worse than they really are. We do not rebound well. I don't know what you mean by most successful starting 5, but the Grizzlies have a better 5, clearly.

That Denver team always won 50 games. They won 50 with AI, then 54 and 53 with Billups. AI wasn't a great fit for the team, tho Melo handled it just fine.

Clearing the lane for Anthony is not what's best for him. He's best when he's not catered to. The last two seasons (not including this season so far) his game has changed. I always liked Anthony and I never thought he was a ball-stopper. That's something that we saw glimpses of towards the end of his last full season in Denver, and throughout his last actual season. And it got worse with the Knicks, especially last season. He's playing better now. The best thing he's doing is he's committing to defense. Offensively, I've seen him play better in Denver. But the last few games, the man has been a beast. And despite his hot shooting, remarkably in control of his volume.

It's not because the lane is clear.

Also, Amare can rebound off the bench (tho I worry that he'll neglect it in that role and focus on scoring). But the team rebounding needs to improve. We need a guy there to improve.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 11-29-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    I'm not gonna get over how terrible and ridiculous this is.

We amnestied Billups to get Chandler, but to preserve having the two stars. There's one season where they're both oft-injured and neither one plays well (yet somehow Carmelo makes an All-NBA Team) and now Amare is out?

Make fun of Amare's rebounding all you want. He's not bad. He's always around 9 and never playing crazy minutes. But more importantly, even 8RPG is more than 7. 7 is more than the 5.8 per36 that Brewer gets us. That kind of rebounding helps Chandler rebound. We cannot win with this rebounding. This is the sort of issue that can keep us in the 1st round. We're gonna max Amare to come off the bench, when the whole idea was to sacrifice everybody to have these two guys work together...just so our rebounding can suck?
    Amare's knees are shit. If his knees were great it makes sense to break up the starting unit and how we play to fit him in. But he's not going to be a 30+ minute a game guy and be effective. The bench role limits his minutes to the 20-25 (30 if possible only somtimes) a game. If you start him and play him 35 minutes a game, even if he's healthy his knees will explode and you'll need to play small anyway.

This argument talks like he is healthy. When did that occur?

Amare still deserves 25-30 minutes, somewhere in the middle likely.

At least he isn't making a big stink about not starting. That was my big worry, STAT coming back from injury and pouting about starting.

I really want to see if his work with Dream was worth it. He was never one to play with his back to the basket, and its tough for a guy to change his ways a decade into the league. But my fingers are crossed. I hope STAT comes back and plays his ass off

After years of NY bball in the NBA being non-existent, now NBA got 2 legit NBA teams in NY.

Serious playground baller schism206's Avatar

Well you can look at this a few ways. Sure it's not exactly ideal to know a multi-million dollar player is not a starter, but I think it's a good thing. Amare can ease back into playing, not put too much wear and tear on his knees and getting back into shape, and if he's willing to be a bench player (for now), more power to him. That's big, if the mentality is there. That just means the Knicks have more options. If they are playing well without him, let starting 5 continue. It's not like Amare won't play much, and it's not like you can't use him to close out games if he's got a hot hand or seems to be playing well with Melo. I think it's worth giving a shot, and if it doesn't work, you can always put him into the starting line-up once he's been integrated. Will be a mean second unit to deal with.

I do believe Amare will eventually start.

Woodson seems to want to play big, you can see that in the way he tries to start Kurt Thomas all the time. Kurt Thomas is simply useless offensively, and slows them down defensively, but still are productive on that end. He's also 40.

I feel like Amare coming back into the starting lineup where the pick and roll is working so great with the court spacing, and Melo has been allowed to work inside the paint with great court spacing and good passing will change a lot. He'd essentially have to take the role that Melo is playing right now in order to be most effective. Off the bench with the same spacing that Melo receives, he can actually showcase those post moves he payed 100,000 to learn.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Melo is a beast on the offensive glass. He don't get defensive rebounds because half the time he gets stuck closing out shooters, that's the reality, you can't be in two places at once.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Amare's knees are shit. If his knees were great it makes sense to break up the starting unit and how we play to fit him in. But he's not going to be a 30+ minute a game guy and be effective. The bench role limits his minutes to the 20-25 (30 if possible only somtimes) a game. If you start him and play him 35 minutes a game, even if he's healthy his knees will explode and you'll need to play small anyway.

This argument talks like he is healthy. When did that occur?

Are his knees that bad? I haven't heard anything like that, just assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Are his knees that bad? I haven't heard anything like that, just assumption.
    No

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

I'm kind of interested in seeing how well Kidd/Amar'e do together. I hope it's as fun as Nash/Amar'e.

Quote Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
    I'm kind of interested in seeing how well Kidd/Amar'e do together. I hope it's as fun as Nash/Amar'e.

Will look quite like Kidd/Tyson in Dallas/and now (even though Kidd doesn't handle a whole bunch in the pick and roll anymore playing the 2).

Banned

Funny thing is that people don't seem to remind how good Felton was playing alongside Amare and vice versa. It's gonna be unfair for other teams.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Stat come off bench is good. Everything is good now. Why mess it up. He and Melo is just not work. Or you guys want Melo come off bench ?