Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Default Is Jim Buss running the Lakers?

Who has the final say at this point regarding the Lakers personnel decisions, Kupchak or Jim Buss?

Im trying to figure out why they're clearly defying logic by refusing to sign Gilbert Arenas although Mike Brown, Kobe, & other teammates support the move.

Kupchak seems to realize the Lakers need to make changes, considering he's been GM for 10+ years and re-built the team once before.

It's hard for me to believe that he, being a former player himself, wouldn't realize that the players opinion of how to build the team is very important.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
talkingconch
College superstar

Default Re: Is Jim Buss running the Lakers?

Jack Nicholson.

No but seriously I hope Mitch has some good influence on decisions.
talkingconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
White Mamba
@kobemania

the minute we hired mike brown and all mitch's scouts got fired you know mitch isn't runing anything anymore.
White Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
RazorBaLade
Banned

I think we're waiting on Howard.

We'll get Arenas if we get Howard because it'd take all of our assets, but we don't want to get Arenas if potentially Howard is not coming and we have a first round pick that can easily get Ramon Sessions.

Simply waiting until 1 or 2 weeks left till trade deadline IMO.

The lakers are kinda in a shitty situation, you can't blame anyone besides Stern. Jim Buss had orchestrated an absolute dynasty before it got shut down, all thats left now is seeing what happens. We might end up with both gasol and bynum gone, stay as is, ramon sessions, arenas and howard, IDK. Its crazy.

Just remember what could have been:

CP3
Kobe
MWP
Okafor
Howard
RazorBaLade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
ChrisPosh
♕ James

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBaLade

CP3
Kobe
MWP
Okafor
Howard

ChrisPosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Poodle
Banned

whoever-is-running-the-Lakers-deserves-credit-for-not-signing-Arenas...altho-they-suck-for-picking-MikeBrown.

they're-much-better-off-going-after-Sessions-than-Arenas...i'd-be-shocked-if-Arenas-made-them-any-better-than-signing-AI.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Who has the final say at this point regarding the Lakers personnel decisions, Kupchak or Jim Buss?

Im trying to figure out why they're clearly defying logic by refusing to sign Gilbert Arenas although Mike Brown, Kobe, & other teammates support the move.

Kupchak seems to realize the Lakers need to make changes, considering he's been GM for 10+ years and re-built the team once before.

It's hard for me to believe that he, being a former player himself, wouldn't realize that the players opinion of how to build the team is very important.
Playing in the NBA hasn't been proven to lead to better personnel decisions. Look at Michael Jordan, Kevin McHale and Isaiah Thomas. We all saw Arenas in Orlando, and that was an undesirable player. Maybe now he's in better shape but they bought him in for a workout, saw what he could do, and decided to wait and see who else they could get first. And it's the right decision. There's no line of suitors they have to wait in, no fight for his services. No need to bring him in ASAP.You should understand that Arenas's reputation is in shambles, both as a player as well as as a person. Bad knees and bad attitude, this is a guy that hasn't contributed positively in something like 4 years, once took a dump in a teammate's shoe, and of course the gun incident that destroyed a whole season for the Wizards. A responsible GM would think twice about giving a good player with his history a spot on the roster. A player that thinks it's ok to shit in Blatche's sneakers and just shot 34%?

I think LA can wait.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
BØBØ
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mamba
the minute we hired mike brown and all mitch's scouts got fired you know mitch isn't runing anything anymore.
"All" of The Lakers scouts didn't get fired. That's a falsehood or twisting of facts spread by the media. When they laid off 20 people at the end of last season it was reported as "scouts" it was actually 11 or 12 video film people and the assistants to the assistant coaches.

Phil Jackson didn't use scouts, he used the assistant coaches to scout teams and players, each one of them had an assistant to help with scouting so when they fired those coaches their assistants were out too. Each coach was assigned a number of teams to watch at the start of the season to watch and game plane for.

As a result the Lakers didn't have a need for a large scouting staff other than for drafting and watching for possible free agent pickups. Both of the scouts that helped Mitch watching the college kids and minor league ball are still with the Lakers as is Rudy-T and new head of european scouting Ettore Messina and his small staff that stays overseas.

It's not uncommon when a team changes coaches to have a changing of the guard. Established coaches like brown have their own people they feel comfortable working with. Lakers have always given their coaches full control over their staff
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

He is. I believe they are waiting for something.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
kennethgriffin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
I think we're waiting on Howard.

We'll get Arenas if we get Howard because it'd take all of our assets, but we don't want to get Arenas if potentially Howard is not coming and we have a first round pick that can easily get Ramon Sessions.

Simply waiting until 1 or 2 weeks left till trade deadline IMO.

The lakers are kinda in a shitty situation, you can't blame anyone besides Stern. Jim Buss had orchestrated an absolute dynasty before it got shut down, all thats left now is seeing what happens. We might end up with both gasol and bynum gone, stay as is, ramon sessions, arenas and howard, IDK. Its crazy.

CP3
Kobe
MWP
Okafor
Howard

kobe would rather win with a good supporting cast than 2 hof legends

not to mention their averages would have looked like this

cp3 - 14/8/3
kobe - 21/5/4
mwp - 8/4/3
Okafor - 12/9/4
Howard - 18/12/2

kobe would have been 3rd team all nba and howard would have won finals mvp based on the similar scoring but vast differential in rebounding and blocks.

kobe would have been a 2nd fiddle 3rd team all nba champion

as the lakers are right now they are 1 solid pg away from contending... and kobe is the main man with 29ppg... its his team.. and any title goes through him and only him

thats the way i like it.

i dont want a cheap and easy path to the finals like miami. no thanks... wheres the fun?
kennethgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
"Kobe" wants Championships. He's not going to get them with the team as they are currently constructed, nor by adding on Agent Zero Value. He wanted Paul and he wants Howard. Unlike you he knows he can't just drag any collection of guys to the Finals.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Poodle
Banned

Quote:

cp3 - 14/8/3
kobe - 21/5/4
mwp - 8/4/3
Okafor - 12/9/4
Howard - 18/12/2

kobe would have been 3rd team all nba and howard would have won finals mvp based on the similar scoring but vast differential in rebounding and blocks.

as the lakers are right now they are 1 solid pg away from contending... and kobe is the main man with 29ppg... its his team.. and any title goes through him and only him

thats the way i like it.

i dont want a cheap and easy path to the finals like miami. no thanks... wheres the fun?

oh-cmon...to-be-fair-you-guys-stacked-as-much-as-anybody-especially-with-the-Gasol-trade...altho-i-guess-it-wasn't-a-premeditated-thing-like-the-big-3-in-Miami...more-similar-to-what-Boston-did.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
DavisWarriorsFan
Bay Areaaaaaaaaaaa!

Jim Buss hired Mike Brown. And it doesn't matter if Mike Brown leads the Lakers to a 3peat or win 6 NBA Championships and make Buss look like a genius. Lakers fans are still gonna hate him for disrespecting Phil Jackson.
DavisWarriorsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Kobe681
Great young streetballer

Quote:

cp3 - 14/8/3
kobe - 21/5/4
mwp - 8/4/3
Okafor - 12/9/4
Howard - 18/12/2

thats the way i like it.

Wow, you are a disgrace to Lakers fan. I hope you dont consider yourself a Lakers fan btw.

It shouldnt matter who's the "main man" on the team, as long as the Lakers are winning championships. jackass...
Kobe681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Sadly yes....
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: