Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Moving to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Just funny that you are so invested in the diss, you'd think it wouldn't even be on the radar if you truly believed in the disses.
    Just having fun on the internets.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    My plans are to move to Canada by next year.

I've been to Ottawa and Toronto and I love it, although I didn't go during the winter.

Canadians are a million times more welcoming, friendly, conscious of others, respectful, cleaner, etc. Moving there for the people alone is worth the taxes one pays. I grew up in L.A. and I'd pay more taxes if I was guaranteed a safer, cleaner less stressful environment. That alone should be worth the price for most people. Canadians are also far more tolerant of other cultures and ethnic backgrounds (from my experiences). I asked if after 9/11 Muslims got treated differently and consensus answer was "NO". They were treated just the same after 9/11.... with acceptance.
    Not only do we treat immigrants well, we actually kowtow to their every whim. Don't want to wear the Mountie hat, a part of the RCMP uniform since forever, because you want to wear your turban instead? Hey, no problem! Want to bring your razor-sharp dagger to school because it's part of your beliefs? Certainly! Don't want to learn English or French? Hey, no problemo! Canada's like heaven for immigrants. Just come to our country, don't learn the language, don't observe any of the customs, with no consequences.

Like some said, Canada is like America 2.0... just colder (depending on which area). They have everything we have, but in a better environment. Sure, taxes are higher, but it's well worth the price. The entire country is like living in a safe secured exclusive gated community here in the States... but like everywhere. They still live by the 'honor' system which is something very rare here in the states.

Imo paying higher taxes is worth the higher quality of life, any time.
    This is one thing we take for granted in Canada, is the safety of where we live. The city I used to live in here in AB (Calgary) has about a million people and violent crime is basically nonexistent when you compare it to any American city of similar size.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Not only do we treat immigrants well, we actually kowtow to their every whim. Don't want to wear the Mountie hat, a part of the RCMP uniform since forever, because you want to wear your turban instead? Hey, no problem! Want to bring your razor-sharp dagger to school because it's part of your beliefs? Certainly! Don't want to learn English or French? Hey, no problemo! Canada's like heaven for immigrants. Just come to our country, don't learn the language, don't observe any of the customs, with no consequences.

This is one thing we take for granted in Canada, is the safety of where we live. The city I used to live in here in AB (Calgary) has about a million people and violent crime is basically nonexistent when you compare it to any American city of similar size.
    The sense of safety is unexplainable and doesn't have a price imo.

I grew up in well.. Compton/Lynwood and every day you felt the pressure. Even if you venture out of the inner cities, you still have your guard up even in a family environment.

I felt different being in Canada.

I didn't measure everybody that walked through the door, I didn't anticipate anything bad happening, like a huge pressure was released that is really hard to explain. I mean, you guys don't even look both ways when crossing the street, you just WALK!! I am still utterly blown away by this, ya'll have no clue. I saw people just walking in front of moving cars and the drivers were more than happy/willing to just stop and even smile!!!! it didn't matter who it was.

And I know you're being sarcastic, but from what I noticed and from what I was told, immigrants for the most part adapt very quickly to Canadian lifestyle. Sure, part of their cultural identity remains, but overall they adapt. It's harder here because life is much harder in every aspect, it truly is a dog eat dog world here so it brings out the worse in people. Then you have bigotry and hatred thrown into the mix, and the friction creates problems that shouldn't really exist between immigrants and opponents. Canada's tolerance doesn't really create much friction (at least not compared to US) so much of that isn't a big deal.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Shit.... speaking of crime and safety in Canada.

I visited Toronto's 'hood' and I thought I was in Downey, CA. Downey is a safe middle class city, that's clean and relatively friendly.

I was in heaven.

If that's the hood then count me in!

Good High School Starter hammer2010's Avatar

It's a multicultural country retard. Which means that we are all immigrants and all cultures are tolerated and none are seen as better than any other. At least in theory. The safety that you take for granted is partly due to Canada being a welcoming and non discriminating society as a whole. In a way immigrants assimilate in Canada better than in most other societies and in their own pace while keeping the parts of their culture which they feel is important.

Most violence in the States is due to poverty, and large portions of the population feeling segregated and disenfranchised. Immigrant relations is one of the things that Canada gets so right that all other countries should follow its example.
    Last edited by hammer2010; 11-22-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    And I know you're being sarcastic, but from what I noticed and from what I was told, immigrants for the most part adapt very quickly to Canadian lifestyle. Sure, part of their cultural identity remains, but overall they adapt. It's harder here because life is much harder in every aspect, it truly is a dog eat dog world here so it brings out the worse in people. Then you have bigotry and hatred thrown into the mix, and the friction creates problems that shouldn't really exist between immigrants and opponents. Canada's tolerance doesn't really create much friction (at least not compared to US) so much of that isn't a big deal.
    I'm not being sarcastic at all. We let immigrants come to the country and change customs hundreds of years old because it doesn't jive with their culture. Sure, I get that you don't want to become completely assimiliated, and I respect that, but at a point, you have to play by our rules. If your own country was so shit hot, you'd still be there, so don't come over to ours and start dictating terms. Sikhs, for instance, won't remove their turbans to put on hard hats on construction sites, then sue for discrimination. Then we decide it's okay to let Sikhs carry knives to school, but unsafe to let children bring soccer balls to school. What I said was without a word of lie or sarcasm, we really do let immigrants walk all over us here. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer2010
    It's a multicultural country retard. Which means that we are all immigrants and all cultures are tolerated and none are seen as better than any other. At least in theory. The safety that you take for granted is partly due to Canada being a welcoming and non discriminating society as a whole. In a way immigrants assimilate in Canada better than in most other societies and in their own pace while keeping the parts of their culture which they feel is important.
    You have completely missed the point, kiddo.

To hammer2010 or w.e, multicultural tolerance is different than not requiring your citizens to learn the language and abide by certain rules. No one is saying you have no right to express your beliefs, but if they interfere with the safety or well being of others (the example of bringing a dagger to school) then it shouldn't be allowed. Simple enough.

Being condescending doesn't make you right or even seem right. Your smug games won't work on me. It's quite pathetic actually.

So what is your point? We force sikhs to cut off their hair which they see as a religious duty to grow which goes back hundreds of year in their culture? And doing so would be discriminatory and cause much unneeded tension in society. The point of multiculturalism is that nobody is right. Every culture is accepted and can live their lives in line with their cultural beliefs as long as they are within the laws of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3

To hammer2010 or w.e, multicultural tolerance is different than not requiring your citizens to learn the language and abide by certain rules. No one is saying you have no right to express your beliefs, but if they interfere with the safety or well being of others (the example of bringing a dagger to school) then it shouldn't be allowed. Simple enough.
    They aren't going around stabbing people. It's a symbol for them and it's kept hidden and in a special sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3

This. I thought it was pretty clear. Express your beliefs up until the point where they either endanger yourself (ie, not wearing a f*cking hard hat on a construction site but wanting to work there anyway), others (bringing a f*cking blade to school), or break customs and laws that have been followed for centuries (there are also groups who refuse to have their pictures taken for their drivers licence, they have supporters nationwide as well). EVERYONE should have to follow the basic rules of society. Decisions shouldn't be made on a case-by-case basis. Hey, my religion requires I bring a loaded 12-gauge shotty to school. That ok too?

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    They aren't going around stabbing people. It's a symbol for them and it's kept hidden and in a special sleeve.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crim...h-daggers?bn=1

So only Sikhs can carry knives in public places because, well, gosh, we know they'll be responsible with them. Responsible people of other religions, however, cannot bring weapons. The majority of people who own pistols won't go around shooting people either, but due to the matter of public safety, you can't walk around the GTA toting a pistol. It's common sense.

I'm sorry, these are still PEOPLE that are carrying knives. Subject to emotions and outbursts just like the rest of us. I mean really, this one is a no-brainer.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 11-22-2011 at 03:49 PM.

I know, but what's to stop it from happening? You don't put a knife in the hand of a kid then say "they weren't supposed to do that"

I'm all for cultural expression, don't get me wrong. I love walking around Toronto and seeing people in different garments, it's almost surreal, but there's a point where we have to say no. Anyone can say "it's part of my religion" to justify a lot of dangerous behaviours, and when things go wrong, who is there to blame?

No kidding. When I was in high school 30 students were stabbed everyday by sikh students.

It's so adorable seeing some of these racists mask their hate as a concern for public safety.

Oh and we shouldn't have scissors in school either neither should we have saws in shop classes nor knives in food's classes. Obviously student safety is of the utmost importance and kids will obviously stab each other any chance they get.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer2010
    No kidding. When I was in high school 30 students were stabbed everyday by sikh students.

It's so adorable seeing some of these racists mask their hate as a concern for public safety.

Oh and we shouldn't have scissors in school either neither should we have saws in shop classes nor knives in food's classes. Obviously student safety is of the utmost importance and kids will obviously stab each other any chance they get.
    You are a complete fu[color=black]cking[/color] idiot. These comparisons are beyond laughable, and the conclusions you are 'drawing' from my posts are pathetic and misleading. What's next from you? Sikhs shouldn't have to wear hard hats at job sites because that's discriminatory too? Omigosh the racism! How dare they!