Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dennis Rodman on the 2nd three-peat Bulls was so overrated

Quote Originally Posted by icewill36
    idk, about overrated, but karl malone shouldve killed rodman. jazz lost because he didnt step up. rodman pretty much dared him to shoot and he just couldnt make them, even though he had for most of his career.
    Karl Malone is overrated. Rodman wasn't the one who discouraged him in "stepping up". He choked in big games before 97 and 98 Finals and after.

Malone should've killed a lot of guys when the playoffs came around (he obviously did get his in some series), but he overall didn't step up enough like other have in the past and present. Same goes for John Stockton. They had too many inconsistencies.

Downgrading Rodman is retarded way to imply Jordan is better than Kobe, OP.

MJ, Pip, PJax and the rest of the Bulls roster had nothing but praises for The Worm's 100% effort on the court. Overrated my a$$

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by stax
    Always wondered how this picture ends does he fall on his stomach or wut

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    "[COLOR="Red"]but one can even argue[/COLOR]"

I never stated that he was like Haslem, but one can certainly make an argument that he was a glorified role player similar to Haslem. A player that has one role which is to be tough defensively and rebound. Although even Haslem had to be an option offensively.

Rodman's sole focus was to rebound, that's what he did. If they ran plays for him he'd lose position and possibly use up some energy which will result in a decline in his boards.

We are also talking about an older Rodman and NOT the defensive player of the year version.

But as I mentioned, it sounds harsh but not my intention to diminish him as much as it may appear. Simply something to think about.
    You put Haslem name in there exactly to say Rodman was like him. Don't try and sniggle out of what you did, putting those names in the same breath like that.

And no. Sorry. None of this is correct.
    Rebounding wasn't ever Rodman's sole focus, contrary to myth. Teams seldom ran plays for D Rod because he had low scoring skills due to his late start in the game. His energy level was insane, out-driving everyone on the court for many minutes even when he was aged. And his defense got smarter as he got older to the point where he was a literal defensive genius in the late '90s.

We can disagree all right, but at least use some fact somewhere.

As absurd as the premise the comparison isn't even Rodman vs Gasol. Ir's Rodman vs Lamar Odom. Scottie Pippen vs Pau Gasol.

3-time NBA All-Star

Rodman was a glorified role player. Why the hell is anyone arguing that he wasn't? It doesn't mean he wasn't an all-time great player, but any player thats success comes mainly from his hustle and energy and is basically almost useless offensively is a role player. Rodman literally is just a much better version of someone like Reggie Evans. There roles were basically the same, Rodman just being much better and more consistent at it.

And Rodman being better then Gasol? Gasol should be compared to Pippen, not Rodman.

Rodman is role player, Pippen is complimentary player, Kukoc is euro trash ,poor Mike did it all by himself.

In second three peat, Pippen was almost superstar, Rodman was borderline all star player. Kukoc could be easily star player in most of the teams.

None of these can stain MJ's GOAT status. It means Bulls were that good.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    Rodman is role player, Pippen is complimentary player, Kukoc is euro trash ,poor Mike did it all by himself.

In second three peat, Pippen was almost superstar, Rodman was borderline all star player. Kukoc could be easily star player in most of the teams.

None of these can stain MJ's GOAT status. It means Bulls were that good.

Saying Rodman was a role player doesn't mean he wasn't a great player and Jordan did everything by himself. Rodman was a role player even when he was making all-star teams in Detroit. He's arguably the greatest role player ever, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a role player.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Saying Rodman was a role player doesn't mean he wasn't a great player and Jordan did everything by himself. Rodman was a role player even when he was making all-star teams in Detroit. He's arguably the greatest role player ever, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a role player.

I don't care a whole lot for math but really you should indulge yourself.

http://skepticalsports.com/?p=1143

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    I don't care a whole lot for math but really you should indulge yourself.

http://skepticalsports.com/?p=1143
    I'm not going to bother reading all that, because numbers have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Rodman is the type of player that is always defined as a role player. That's not diminishing him, even if you think it is, its just stating the truth. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a huge impact on his teams, cause he did. But generally, players who's job is to do the thing that he does and nothing else are defined as role players.

Rodman was a glorified role player. Why the hell is anyone arguing that he wasn't? It doesn't mean he wasn't an all-time great player, but any player thats success comes mainly from his hustle and energy and is basically almost useless offensively is a role player. Rodman literally is just a much better version of someone like Reggie Evans. There roles were basically the same, Rodman just being much better and more consistent at it.

And Rodman being better then Gasol? Gasol should be compared to Pippen, not Rodman.
    So you agree that (prime) Ben Wallace a role player?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    So you agree that (prime) Ben Wallace a role player?
    Sure I'd agree with that. Like I said, that doesn't mean they aren't two of the greatest players ever, easily in the top 75-100 players of all-time, but they are still glorified role players like someone else said.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    it's amazing how they could of threepeated against opponents such as Shaquille O'Neal, Shawn Kemp, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning
    Don't forget Hakeem and Robinson! They were still effective and All-Stars during the Bulls' second 3-peat.

Goes to show how GOAT Jordan really is.

Sure I'd agree with that. Like I said, that doesn't mean they aren't two of the greatest players ever, easily in the top 75-100 players of all-time, but they are still glorified role players like someone else said.
    Bill Russel would be greatest glorified role player too then. If guys like Barkley,Amare,Melo doesn't considered as role players because they can't defend, Rodman & Wallace should not be considered as role players because they can't score.

Ron Harper second threepeat was a great role player. Luc Longley was a role player. Rodman was a star player for the Bulls.