Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Looper is getting amazing reviews

Gonna try and catch it this weekend sometime.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/looper/

So far, 100% with an avg rating of 8.6/10 from 26 critics.

Just a few critic quotes:

This may end up being my favorite movie of the year.
    The idea that the mob controls time travel always cracks me up. What a stupidly unbelievable premise, the movie is already ruined because of that for me.
    Like a bunch of meathead guidos would be on the cutting edge of science. The f*ck out with that nonsense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    The idea that the mob controls time travel always cracks me up. What a stupidly unbelievable premise, the movie is already ruined because of that for me.
    Like a bunch of meathead guidos would be on the cutting edge of science. The f*ck out with that nonsense.
    Well sure, the mob in it's present state would not be the ones controlling it. But we don't know what types of ruins the future could be in 30+ years. Also, it says it controls time travel, not invented it. If time travel were made illegal by the government, then the mob would likely be the ones that gain control of it, just like they were in control of the alcohol during the prohibition. But if you are going to let that ruin the movie for you, then don't watch it while the rest of us have a great time at the movies

Saw it today. The best sci-fi movie I've seen in the past few years (up there with Moon and Time Crimes). Very action packed first half which slows down in the second, but it's still very entertaining. Look out for the performance by the little kid Pierce Gagnon, it's impressive.

Judging from the trailer I thought it'd be a very straight laced sci-fi action/chase type film (Like a sci-fi Fugitive), but there's a whole other story in there which is a very moral grey area where you can find yourself jumping back and forth over which character you'd identify and agree with them and their actions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Saw it today. The best sci-fi movie I've seen in the past few years (up there with Moon and Time Crimes). Very action packed first half which slows down in the second, but it's still very entertaining. Look out for the performance by the little kid Pierce Gagnon, it's impressive.

Judging from the trailer I thought it'd be a very straight laced sci-fi action/chase type film (Like a sci-fi Fugitive), but there's a whole other story in there which is a very moral grey area where you can find yourself jumping back and forth over which character you'd identify and agree with them and their actions.
    QFT

It was brilliantly executed.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Saw it today. Great movie.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

I didn't even know what it was before now, but from the little description it looks it could be great.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

To be honest, these time travel movies really fuck with your head.

SPOILER ALERT:

So, the reason why the dude became the rainmaker was because of the whole shenanigans that almost happened at the end.

But the rainmaker still existed when present Joe killed future Joe.

So basically, since present Joe didn't kill future Joe (which is dumb because otherwise future Joe wouldn't have existed the way he did) he saw that there would just be a continuous loop of present joe not killing future joe and sid catching the train and becoming the rainmaker.

Banned

I actually thought that this was one of the time travel movies that didn't fukk with your head. It was pretty clear and straightforward.

Da Mavs

Just got back from seeing it. Wow. My jaw was dropped at the ending. Certainly the best action thriller of the year and arguably my film of the year so far. Loved it, the time travel was very well done. Story had a lot more depth than the trailer revealed.

Hmmm, I might have to use my free movie pass to see this.

Banned

Saw it a little while ago, damn good movie, will give review in rate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    I actually thought that this was one of the time travel movies that didn't fukk with your head. It was pretty clear and straightforward.
    Yeah, Bruce Willis made it clear during his little speech in the dinner that the movie basically wasn't going to get into the specifics and mind f*ck of the time travel concept. I think it was something like 'We would be hear all day talking about how time travel works...'.

Probably a cop out so they wouldn't have to explain away some plot holes, but I let it slide since they laid it out on the table- the movie isn't going to delve into the theory surrounding time travel, only the actual execution. I can vibe with that.

There's probably always going to be plot holes with time travelling movies, that's just the way it is when you decide to use it in a story. Nothing to be done about it, no matter how hard you try to fill in and explain every little detail.

F*cking loved this movie. It is either #1 or #2 movie of the year for me. I'll give it some time to sink in before settling on such an answer.

Btw, I thought the movie felt like some combination of Terminator 2, 12 Monkeys, and Carrie, but with it's own style.

Terminator 2 because of the dynamics of having a man from the future trying to kill a kid, a protector figure, the kid himself, and a mother trying to work with the protector to keep the kid alive.

12 Monkeys because of how the ending of each movie ties into how all the problems of the future started (plus having Bruce Willis).

Carrie because.... well that is obvious.