Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

Default New Ebola virus potentially cooking inside bats in Africa

It was in bats that the other Ebola viruses formed, as well as the Marburg virus. And it was barely confirmed that the SARS epidemic came from bats as well less than a year ago. Originally it was thought SARS came from civets but scientists think it went from bats to humans, from humans to civets, and then back to humans, before eventually mutating into a weaker version of itself (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

https://www.newscientist.com/article...fight-viruses/

Quote:

FREETOWN (AFP) -
A new Ebola virus has been found in bats in Sierra Leone, two years after the end of an outbreak that killed over 11,000 across West Africa, the government said on Thursday.

It is not yet known whether the new Bombali species of the virus -- which researchers say could be transmitted to humans -- can develop into the deadly Ebola disease.

"At this time, it is not yet known if the Bombali Ebola virus has been transmitted to people or if it causes disease in people but it has the potential to infect human cells," Amara Jambai, a senior ministry of health official, told AFP.

"This is early stages of the findings," Jambai added, calling on the public to remain calm while awaiting further research.

A health ministry spokesman and a researcher who worked on the discovery confirmed the findings to AFP.

Bats are fascinating because their bodies are put through more strenuous exercises than basically any other mammal. Because of this their bodies create lots of free radicals which ram into their DNA causing it to burst into their cells creating new viruses. Also because of the tax put on their bodies by flying, they don't have the ability of other mammals to fight viruses, so they don't attack the new viruses or free floating material like DNA particles, making them a perfect bio manufacturer of new diseases. Fortunately for them, they have developed an immunity to most viruses without having to rely on their white blood cells to attack foreign agents(again someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Default Re: New Ebola virus potentially cooking inside bats in Africa

Interesting...just the other day I was watching a documentary on bats...can you imagine seeing these disgusting looking creatures flying at night over your head?

TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

Damn, here we go again

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/17/hea....google.com%2F

Quote:
CNN) There have been 78 cases of Ebola reported in the current outbreak in North Kivu and Ituri provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo as of Wednesday, the World Health Organization said Friday.

Of those cases, 51 are confirmed, and 27 are probable. This includes 44 deaths.
The reported cases are in five health zones in North Kivu and one health zone in Ituri, but all of the cases are linked to the "outbreak epi-center" in Mangina, the agency said.

In addition, 10 health care workers have become infected with the disease. Nine of those cases are confirmed, and the one probable case is a worker who died.

"These health care workers were likely exposed in clinics, not Ebola treatment centres (ETCs), many of which may have been infected before the declaration of the outbreak," according to a statement from WHO.

The agency is working to "increase awareness of Ebola among health care and other frontline workers, and to strengthen infection prevention and control (IPC) measures."
The affected provinces share a border with Uganda and Rwanda and are densely populated. Ongoing conflict and violence in the area pose security concerns for those working to contain the outbreak.

Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Loco 50
I usually hit open layups

The bad news about ebola is how effectively and efficiently it kills people. That's also the good news and the reason why these outbreaks are contained fairly easily, let's say compared to the flu. It kills so quickly it limits it's own transmission.

Of course, all that shit goes out the window if it becomes airborne, but the likelihood of that is hopefully smaller than what was feared during Ebola Mania a few years ago.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0412130805.htm
Loco 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Loco 50
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
It was in bats that the other Ebola viruses formed, as well as the Marburg virus. And it was barely confirmed that the SARS epidemic came from bats as well less than a year ago. Originally it was thought SARS came from civets but scientists think it went from bats to humans, from humans to civets, and then back to humans, before eventually mutating into a weaker version of itself (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

https://www.newscientist.com/article...fight-viruses/

Bats are fascinating because their bodies are put through more strenuous exercises than basically any other mammal. Because of this their bodies create lots of free radicals which ram into their DNA causing it to burst into their cells creating new viruses. Also because of the tax put on their bodies by flying, they don't have the ability of other mammals to fight viruses, so they don't attack the new viruses or free floating material like DNA particles, making them a perfect bio manufacturer of new diseases. Fortunately for them, they have developed an immunity to most viruses without having to rely on their white blood cells to attack foreign agents(again someone correct me if I'm wrong).
The bolded statements contradict each other.

After reading a brief article on these bats immune system, bats immune system essentially ignore the viruses. They aren't immune. They just don't recognize the viruses as foreign or problematic and that's because, as you mentioned, bats are exposed to dna all the time. Viral/bacterial infections in general are dangerous not because they themselves are dangerous, but the hyperactive chaos that it sends our immune system into.

From an evolutionary standpoint, these things don't want to kill you, they want to replicate themselves like any other "living" (viruses are not living) thing on the planet. The fever, shock, etc after effects of our immune response is what does us in.
Loco 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: