Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
nnn123
I rule the local playground
 
nnn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 558
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Tucker is from San Diego. You know that used to be Mexico, right? Tacos actually are native cuisine where he’s from.

Borders change whether it’s the Spanish Empire, Mexico or the United States of America. Tacos ARE native to the American Southwest.

Dude.

Just give it a rest. We all make mistakes, say stupid sh!t. What's wrong with just admitting he made a mistake and moving on?
nnn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,917
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

If Mexico wants to now claim Taco Bell, go for it.

I always get corrected when I say I love mexican food to hispanics and they say, "it's not mexican. It's Tex-mex."

And Tex-Mex is an american style of food.

So I guess it's back to being mexican again.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #18
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,443
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Tucker is from San Diego. You know that used to be Mexico, right? Tacos actually are native cuisine where he’s from.

Borders change whether it’s the Spanish Empire, Mexico or the United States of America. Tacos ARE native to the American Southwest.

Native cuisine introduced by whom, NumberSix? The guest spoke of Mexicans sharing their food and cultural heritage only to have Tucker Carlson claim that such statements and attitudes amount to cultural appropriation. Are we siding with someone who is claiming that Mexicans are culturally appropriating a food they themselves introduced to the region? Is this really the hill you want to die on?

Incidentally, tacos in the region predated even the arrival of the Spanish in Mexico.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #19
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s
 
Cleverness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

bad joke fell flat wow this is news

the actual story he was presenting was Liberals Outraged Over Mexican Restaurant Owner's Selfie With Attorney General Sessions

and nobody was surprised by it because anyone who has any tie (including a selfie) to a republican is racist.



watch any "late night TV show"

trump insult after trump insult disguised as jokes. no need to make 100s of threads because all their "jokes" fall flat like the fox anchor's cultural appropriation joke
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s
 
Cleverness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn123
Dude.

Just give it a rest. We all make mistakes, say stupid sh!t. What's wrong with just admitting he made a mistake and moving on?

he's pretending to take it as seriously as you guys are

which is

way too seriously

Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
Funktion
NBA lottery pick
 
Funktion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Best Coast
Posts: 5,485
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Pretty sure maize, beans and meat were staples for native americans and natives of mexico alike. Taco bell, and lard not so much.
Funktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #22
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s
 
Cleverness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktion
Pretty sure maize, beans and meat were staples for native americans and natives of mexico alike. Taco bell, and lard not so much.

you mean they didn't eat nacho fries w/ sour cream?
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #23
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 22,999
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Cultural Appropriation is a yuuuge joke.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #24
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 27,950
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Native cuisine introduced by whom, NumberSix?
Does it matter? Mexican food is OBVIOUSLY a part of Californian culture. To argue otherwise is beyond absurd.

It doesn’t remotely matter who “introduced” it. You know, the english language is part of American culture. If you’re American, english is part of your culture, even if your ancestors weren’t from England.

Catholicism is a major part of Mexican culture. It obviously doesn’t come from Mexico.

Quote:
The guest spoke of Mexicans sharing their food and cultural heritage only to have Tucker Carlson claim that such statements and attitudes amount to cultural appropriation.
He was making that argument ironically. Tucker doesn’t believe in “cultural appropriation” in the first place. He was using the left’s own argument to mock them. To display how nonsensical their own argument is. He was not genuinely arguing that his culture was being “appropriated”. This is so obvious that I shouldn’t have to explain it.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #25
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 20,984
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Tucker is from San Diego. You know that used to be Mexico, right? Tacos actually are native cuisine where he’s from.

Borders change whether it’s the Spanish Empire, Mexico or the United States of America. Tacos ARE native to the American Southwest.

And you just said it used to be Mexico lol. Therefore, tacos were invented by Mexican people in Mexico.

It's amazing to see Fox News stop even trying and devolve into full on internet style trolling tactic. These people will twist themselves into knots so that they can find a way to be the victim.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 AM   #26
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,443
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Does it matter? Mexican food is OBVIOUSLY a part of Californian culture. To argue otherwise is beyond absurd.

It doesn’t remotely matter who “introduced” it. You know, the english language is part of American culture. If you’re American, english is part of your culture, even if your ancestors weren’t from England.

Catholicism is a major part of Mexican culture. It obviously doesn’t come from Mexico.

He was making that argument ironically. Tucker doesn’t believe in “cultural appropriation” in the first place. He was using the left’s own argument to mock them. To display how nonsensical their own argument is. He was not genuinely arguing that his culture was being “appropriated”. This is so obvious that I shouldn’t have to explain it.

I'm aware of why he was making the argument. The point is that it's a foolish argument capped off by a dumb example. For instance, using your example, we'd have Tucker complaining that an English person who shows pride and takes credit for the introduction of English to the Americas by those of their cultural background to be engaging in cultural appropriation.

Cultural appropriation specifically refers to the use or adoption of certain cultural aspects of a minority culture by a dominant culture, especially when the dominant culture refuses to appreciate or acknowledge the minority culture for their contributions or takes those aspects of their culture out of its true context. Tucker was arguing with someone who was noting the cultural contributions by people of Mexican heritage and the adoption of those contributions in spite of the animosity directed towards those people who have migrated to the US both illegally and legally. If anything, Tucker's argument betrays the fact that he is ignorant of what cultural appropriation actually is, and his attempts to use this opportunity to dismiss it only underscore the fact that he probably doesn't care whether or not he understands what he is talking about as long as it sounds like it could make sense in the context of the argument he is trying to push.

In all of this... he ultimately ended up bolstering the "left's" position by making himself look foolish and nonsensical, though perhaps not to his Fox viewers... but then again, that's the point, right: as long as his Fox viewers think it's a good argument or example, it doesn't actually have to be a good argument or example.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:24 AM   #27
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,443
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
And you just said it used to be Mexico lol. Therefore, tacos were invented by Mexican people in Mexico.

It's amazing to see Fox News stop even trying and devolve into full on internet style trolling tactic. These people will twist themselves into knots so that they can find a way to be the victim.

That's their MO. Look, they'll shoot you, stomp on you, drag you through the street... and then complain that your outrage in regards to your treatment and the resulting lawsuit are forms of virtue signaling and victimhood, all while complaining about your animosity towards them.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:30 AM   #28
sd3035
Impartial NBA analyst
 
sd3035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,765
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Tucker is from San Diego. You know that used to be Mexico, right? Tacos actually are native cuisine where he’s from.

Borders change whether it’s the Spanish Empire, Mexico or the United States of America. Tacos ARE native to the American Southwest.

Except they aren't, fukktard, tacos are 100% Mexican
sd3035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:33 AM   #29
sd3035
Impartial NBA analyst
 
sd3035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,765
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

The first “taco bash” in the history of New Spain was documented by none other than Bernal Diaz del Castillo. Hernan Cortes organized this memorable banquet in Coyoacan for his captains, with pigs brought all the way from Cuba. It would, however, be a mistake to think that Cortes invented the taco, since anthropologists have discovered evidence that inhabitants of the lake region of the Valley of Mexico ate tacos filled with small fish, such as acosiles and charales. The fish were replaced by small live insects and ants in the states of Morelos and Guerrero, while locusts and snails were favorite fillings in Puebla and Oaxaca
sd3035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:27 AM   #30
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!
 
TheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: amongst wackos
Posts: 11,738
Default Re: Tucker Carlson "Tacos are American food! You’re not going to appropriate my culture!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd3035
The first “taco bash” in the history of New Spain was documented by none other than Bernal Diaz del Castillo. Hernan Cortes organized this memorable banquet in Coyoacan for his captains, with pigs brought all the way from Cuba. It would, however, be a mistake to think that Cortes invented the taco, since anthropologists have discovered evidence that inhabitants of the lake region of the Valley of Mexico ate tacos filled with small fish, such as acosiles and charales. The fish were replaced by small live insects and ants in the states of Morelos and Guerrero, while locusts and snails were favorite fillings in Puebla and Oaxaca
Damn savages...yeah I think I'll skip those, I prefer pastor or suadero.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy