Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Default Books you've read over 1000 pages?

List em!

Mine: Atlas Shrugged, Lord of the Rings, War and peace (havent finished it_

Anyone else take on these behemoths?

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Books you've read over 1000 pages?

A Song of Ice and Fire series... each book is like 1200+ pages if I remembered correctly.

The Art of War

I have War and Peace and Anna Karenina but haven't got around to starting them yet.

Dunking on everybody in the park

War and Peace
    Song of Ice and Fire books
    Wheel of time books (not sure which ones are over 1.000 pages but they are huge and there are 14 books)
    Atlas Shrugged
    Lord of the Rings

Also some close to 1.000 depending on the edition/publishing style like the Fountainhead, Patrick Rothfuss' saga..

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

The only one that big worth reading...
    The Holy Bible, Authorized 1611 King James Version.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
    The only one that big worth reading...
    The Holy Bible, Authorized 1611 King James Version.

The bible sucks...not much character development, terrible dialogue, the plot is not very believable, pretty much a snooze fest.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    The bible sucks...not much character development, terrible dialogue, the plot is not very believable, pretty much a snooze fest.
    a whle bunch of deus ex machina too

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Well you're just a little hellbound blasphemer aren't you?

Banned

Well you're just a little hellbound blasphemer aren't you?
    I imagine Hell would be a whole lot more fun and interesting than Heaven, so not a bad deal.

Only 1000 pager that comes to mind is Atlas Shrugged and that book could have been 400 pages shorter if Ayn Rand didn't like the sound of her own voice so much.

John Galt is supposed to be a revolutionary genius who discovered the most efficient use of energy in human history....yet he gives a radio broadcast that has a manuscript of 90 pages. You would think that a engineer and genius of his caliber wouldn't say the same thing 20 different ways in a speech.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    I imagine Hell would be a whole lot more fun and interesting than Heaven, so not a bad deal.
    Oh so you're one of those pyromaniacs hmmmm?

Banned

Oh so you're one of those pyromaniacs hmmmm?

Nah. Just doesn't make sense that the Sovereign in Hell would punish souls in his domain for joining his fight against the Tyrant in Heaven. History is written by the victors so obviously everything Lucifer related will be negative when authored by Jehovah and his various mouthpieces. What people forget (or never knew) is that Lucifer was God's right hand man, the most powerful and beautiful of the archangels. He started his war because of the perceived injustices done by the big man and his son.

It wasn't because he was 'evil', maybe a little power hungry. But he had legit grievances and he can be viewed as a sort of freedom fighter. His coup failed and he was banished from Heaven. So logically... why would he punish those who, like himself, fought against tyranny? If anything, he would reward them, no?

All Heaven is- everyone spending every waking moment fawning over and praising an insecure overlord. Does that sound more enticing than say a game of strip poker with Elizabeth Bathory and Bonnie Parker?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Weird view of hell you got. I'm more accustomed to the whole "burning for eternity" thing. It kind of drags the place down, you know. I mean, shit an "eternity"? At least give us the weekends.
    Right, but where are you getting your info from? Has the devil ever gone the Jehovah route and given an account of what Hell is really like through a human mouthpiece? Does John Milton count as a prophet of Lucifer?

None and hopefully it will stay that way

Taiko and Musashi are both amazing 1000 page novels. The first one deals with the life of Hideyoshi, one of the pivotal figures involved in the unification of Japan. The latter deals with Japan's greatest martial artist, Musashi, and picks up right after the unification. Both are very readable despite their length.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Nah. Just doesn't make sense that the Sovereign in Hell would punish souls in his domain for joining his fight against the Tyrant in Heaven. History is written by the victors so obviously everything Lucifer related will be negative when authored by Jehovah and his various mouthpieces. What people forget (or never knew) is that Lucifer was God's right hand man, the most powerful and beautiful of the archangels. He started his war because of the perceived injustices done by the big man and his son.

It wasn't because he was 'evil', maybe a little power hungry. But he had legit grievances and he can be viewed as a sort of freedom fighter. His coup failed and he was banished from Heaven. So logically... why would he punish those who, like himself, fought against tyranny? If anything, he would reward them, no?

All Heaven is- everyone spending every waking moment fawning over and praising an insecure overlord. Does that sound more enticing than say a game of strip poker with Elizabeth Bathory and Bonnie Parker?
    the problem with that theory is that it's assuming that the "loser of the coup," Lucifer, gets to be the warden of his own prison. if God was the winner in the battle, and he cast down Lucifer to hell, i'm pretty sure hell would be the equivalent of prison. inmates don't run it.

which leads me to my next point. if God's version of hell is an eternity of fire and brimstone, God's cruelty disturbs me to no end.