Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Books you've read over 1000 pages?

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    The Wheel of Time series. Long ass series and books.

I think Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix was like 1000 pages? I can't remember.

And Game of Thrones. I haven't read the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire series. I don't want to get ahead of the TV show.
    What did you think of the ending on the wheel of time series? Think Sanderson did a good job? I liked it, but the writing doesnt compare to Song of Ice and Fire imo, Martin is just so much better on creating tension.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    What did you think of the ending on the wheel of time series? Think Sanderson did a good job? I liked it, but the writing doesnt compare to Song of Ice and Fire imo, Martin is just so much better on creating tension.
    Stopped reading after The Fires of Heaven, the fifth book. I might pick it up again since the series is done, but I've been reading other stuff. I was sad that Robert Jordan couldn't complete the series, and I don't know if Sanderson did a decent job or not on the final 3 books.

And yeah, I like the Song of Ice and Fire better too. I just don't want to get ahead of the TV show because I think I would criticize the TV on the small little things. But it's hard because I want to know what happens next.

And I would like to see a Wheel of Time TV show, movie, or another video game from that universe.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Oh i thought you had finished them. Sanderson does a good job imo, writes pretty much in the same style as Jordan. Also from what i read Jordan knew he was dying so he left thousands of pages of notes on how the book should end, so it wasnt a travesty like the Dune books.

Gibbon - Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (4,000 pages)
    Anthony Powell - A Dance to the Music of time (3,000)
    Tolstoy - War and Peace (1200ish)
    Tocqueville's Democracy in America i think is just about 1,000
    Lord of the Rings

I've also got some collected works that are 1,000+ pages, but that doesn't really count. And there are lots of really good books around 800-900 pages (Middlemarch, The Brothers, Anna Karenina etc.).

In grade school I read Stephen King's IT and The Stand.

Later I read books such as War and Peace, The Brothers Karamazov and The Count of Monte Cristo. Middlemarch is close to 1000 pages I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    These authors are some self absorbed cvnts if they think people wanna read that much of their shit
    I know you're trolling, but I agree. I can't even imagine how long of a time period or the amount of information a book would have to cover in order to have 1000 pages of good writing.

But I don't believe in lulls. I prefer books about 200-300 pages long. Short stories are obviously my favorite sort of prose, but if a book gets over 500 pages, it better be amazing, and even then I find myself snoring through parts of it.

-Smak