Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default When/why did black kids stop playing baseball?

I remember about 15 years ago the sport was king in my neighborhood. I never played basketball, like most black kids in my neighborhood due to my small stature in height only 5'9. Every little black kid was playing baseball in my day. Nowadays as a walk through the parks with my wife and kid all I see is basketballs.

I feel old.

Great college starter Black Joker's Avatar

Default Re: When/why did black kids stop playing baseball?

i stopped playing because the pitchers around where i lived sucked, and i didn't like getting hit

Its expensive.

This goes back farther than 15 years ago. Baseball was the main sports young blacks played up until sometime in the 70s. A lot of blacks growing up in the country, that's all they knew was baseball. Get a stick (not a bat) and a ball and bam, you had a game goin'.

I never grew up playin baseball, but if this were the 60s, I'd probably play everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Its expensive.
    All you need is a stick and a ball.

NBA Superstar

There are some fundamental socio-economic reasons which lead to its demise in the black community.

The main reason is because there are so many more scholarships on offer in football and basketball. Division 1 schools can only offer 11.7 scholarships to the entire baseball team and many offer even less. This means that most college baseball players get fractional scholarships or pay their own way and sadly this leaves out a lot of black players.

So, only the black players who opt to play baseball straight out of high school will for the most part have a chance at the majors. This route is less popular though as many of these same athletes are eligible for football or basketball scholarships (3 sport stars) and put they baseball on the back burner as a fall back sport opting firsts to pursue an education.

Smash cut to the future and baseball has fallen off the map in urban centers and areas with large black populations. Blacks in the 60s and 70s were also a source of cheap labor, they'd get paid less than white players, but since the 80s the pay has been more or less equal, so MLB teams now look to Latin America to obtain talent at a discounted pay rate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    All you need is a stick and a ball.

because stealing wasn't worth it.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

no one wants to be like THAT mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    There are some fundamental socio-economic reasons which lead to its demise in the black community.

The main reason is because there are so many more scholarships on offer in football and basketball. Division 1 schools can only offer 11.7 scholarships to the entire baseball team and many offer even less. This means that most college baseball players get fractional scholarships or pay their own way and sadly this leaves out a lot of black players.

So, only the black players who opt to play baseball straight out of high school will for the most part have a chance at the majors. This route is less popular though as many of these same athletes are eligible for football or basketball scholarships (3 sport stars) and put they baseball on the back burner as a fall back sport opting firsts to pursue an education.

Smash cut to the future and baseball has fallen off the map in urban centers and areas with large black populations. Blacks in the 60s and 70s were also a source of cheap labor, they'd get paid less than white players, but since the 80s the pay has been more or less equal, so MLB teams now look to Latin America to obtain talent at a discounted pay rate.
    I came in here to post something similar.

Second and third points are very good ones, third one isn't quite true anymore however, as teams are paying latin american players a lot more money than players get through the draft, at a younger age (usually 16). But the point of teams scouting mainly in latin america is very true.

Lack of resources in the community can be another large factor.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo

You think black kids stopped playing baseball because of scholarships? Kids don't careabout scholarships, they play it cause they like it. Something happened in the inner city that turned young blacks away from the game. Ask any 50 year old black man what he played more baseball or basketball and I bet you'll get basebal as your number one answer.

I havent heard of an innercity HS playing baseball all of my life. Maybe that's why.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

You think black kids stopped playing baseball because of scholarships? Kids don't careabout scholarships, they play it cause they like it. Something happened in the inner city that turned young blacks away from the game. Ask any 50 year old black man what he played more baseball or basketball and I bet you'll get basebal as your number one answer.
    I love baseball, it is my favorite sport in terms of actually playing. I wish our people did also.

NBA Superstar

Its cause and effect from what I stated in my above post, if you can't connect the dots I can't really help you. Once a generation goes by the younger kids stop caring and you are where you are today.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Its expensive.
    I don't think it's a money thing, because the kids in Latin American countries grow up poorer playing with sticks and stones, and many of them become the best in the world. I think it's more of a cultural thing.

To be honest, I have no idea...and I'm black as hell and love playing sports. We just don't play that shit. I grew up with a basketball and football. I used to think it was because our athletic builds (usually tall, lean, and lanky) were better suited for sports like basketball, track, and football. Now that I'm thinking about it, that doesn't sound right. I dunno...I don't play it because it's just hard. Hitting a small ball with a stick is hard and not fun. Personally, it's only fun when I'm way out in the field running for a ball or something.