Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: NBA Statisticians / Stat-keeping

Quote Originally Posted by RightTwoCensor
    Nice work. I may have to skew towards using away stats to compare some of the great passers in league history.

I'd think turnovers is another thing that could be home cooking. Chris Paul has 140 more career turnovers on the road than at home.
    I think it's harder to fudge turnovers though. Same goes for rebounds.

Blocks and assists aren't actual events that have an impact on games. A turnover means possession is lost, and a rebound means that possession was secured.

It's possible that you'll get some stuff happening (maybe calling a bad pass by the passer a lost ball by the recipient if the ball is bobbled to help out a star at home or screw him on the road), but I don't think it happens as much. Could happen with steals too actually (crediting the guy who secures the ball vs the one forcing the turnover). I don't think it's a big issue though.

Anyhow though, more reason why I'm skeptical of individual box score stats.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Chris Paul APG:
    Home: 10.4
    Away: 9.4

Derrick Rose APG:
    Home: 6.9
    Away: 6.6

Jason Kidd APG:
    Home: 9.2
    Away: 8.2

Michael Jordan APG:
    Home: 5.3 APG
    Away: 5.1 APG

LeBron James APG:
    Home: 7.0
    Away: 6.8

Rose, Jordan, LeBron, hardly a difference... Chicago stat-keepers doing a good job, same for Cleveland/Miami.

But it's pretty visable for Paul and Kidd... If you would do single years, you can see the difference more clearly in certain years.
    That's incredible!
    , Rose had bet 6.5-6.9 assists per game? Where did he register this, "fantasy" league?
    Calm down worshippers, I am just kidding...

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

Funny that you don't take into account the fact that away teams stat keepers may also not count certain stats from opposition players.

I watched a Pelicans game about 2 weeks ago where AD had 3 clear blocks in the 1st, Only the one he swatted into the stands was counted. Finished the game with 1 block, where I counted 5 that were blatantly obvious.

I'd say it all evens out at the end of the day.

With the way home crowds literally hate some opposition players... you can't honestly tell me CP3 doesn't show up in Chicago or Oakland or anywhere else where the Home team has a good pg only to have the home town scorers be really tight on what they class as an assist?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Bit of a bump, but I had a chance to calculate home/away assists for Stockton (rookie year)/Magic/Oscar (Magic's are complete, Stockton's and Oscar's aren't...also note that when Oscar played, there were a number of games at neutral sites). hs = home season, hp = home playoffs, as = away season, ap = away playoffs, ns = neutral season, np = neutral playoffs:

So for their careers:

Stockton (5 games missing)
    10.9 in 748 home games
    10.1 in 751 road games
    +0.8 home-road difference

Magic (0 games missing)
    11.6 in 448 home games
    10.8 in 458 road games
    +0.8 home-road difference

Oscar (141 games missing)
    10.4 in 370 home games
    8.9 in 404 away games
    10.7 in 125 neutral games
    +1.5 home-road difference
    +1.1 home-road/neutral difference

Would be interesting to do something similar for blocked shots (another stat with some home statistician bias).
    Incredibly small sample size, but maybe it would be more fair to say that the home scorekeepers do it properly, while the away are the ones that try to alter?

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    It's actually pretty damn huge... Not just does this amount to over thousands in the totals category, but its also a big difference in averages.

Superstars don't really care about Home or Away, it's the Role Players that get carried from a strong home crowd.
    It's also the role players that finish the shots that create assists...

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    really weird... some players play better at home.

My god. Call CNN!
    My thoughts too. Teams as a whole tend to shoot better at home, so that would make more assists. Are stat keepers the only reason for better free throw percentages at home too?

Should definitely have neutral stat keepers...

the amount of home cooking assists Rondo received in Boston is TOO DAMN HIGH..

Quick browse tells me Wade has more assists on the road than at home. God damn Miami statisticians gotta cheat more, keep up with the rest of the league.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Omg a player got 2 more assists than he deserves. Who cares.
    I assume you're smart enough to know this already but add an extra 2 assists for every home game, 41 games...That player has 82 gifted assists for the season. Now multiple that over 10+ seasons, yeah you get the point......