Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 02-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Would the Mavericks be willing to trade for Eddy Curry?

No I’m not a Mav fan but here me out please…

Last summer the Mavs lost to the Warriors not because Dirk Nowitzki is soft or any of that other silliness. They lost because the Warriors did an excellent job of pushing him off the foul line elbow and forcing him to play farther from the hoop. When forced that far from the hoop Dirk can not comfortably get to the hoop and his game breaks down to be nothing but awkward looking pull-up jumpers.

Opposing teams see that the Warriors were successful with it and have been doing it this season. Come playoff time that focus on extending Nowitzki will only get magnified.

The drawback of extending Nowitzki is that it opens space on the inside for any low post guys. Unfortunately the Mavs don’t have any reliable post scorers. In a league that is becoming devoid of low post scorers Eddy Curry is a guy that is very good at it that can likely be had for cheap. The trade I had in mind was:

Devean George, Desanga Diop, and Trenton Hassel going to New York in exchange for Curry. George, Diop, and Hassell have all been playing limited minutes for the Mavs so the team isn’t losing any of its core.

After the ’08-’09 season Curry’s contract is player options so he can be bought out if it become obvious that it isn’t working in Dallas.

What do you think of this deal? Would the Mavs be willing to make the trade and run a two year experiment to see if low post scoring is the missing ingredient?
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Would the Mavericks be willing to trade for Eddy Curry?

I am not a Mavs fan either, but, Curry may give up too much interior defense.

Dirk has improved his defense a lot since first coming into the league, but he still isn't a defensive anchor. With Curry playing a lot of minutes, they finaly have a big post presence, but defensively they loose out. Diop and Dampier give them some interior defense.

If the offense is worth it to Dallas, I really like the trade.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Sorry I didn't make it clear but Curry job is NOT to be a big minute player. His job is to play about 20 minutes a night and just score interior points.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Da KO King

In light of recent events.....

If left to single coverage Eddy Curry can score on Shaq.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

1. This trade doesn't make much sense for NY, they don't get enough cap relief (about 4 mil), those players don't make them better, and they would have to cut two players on their roster for them. If I am NY There is no way Curry is going out unless I'm dumping his enitre 9-10 mil salary for cap relief or I'm getting a player back that will make me better and this doesn't do either.
2. Curry has 2 player options for 09/10 and 10/11 so its up to curry not the team if he wants to take keep the contract active. So the team may be on the hook for 4 years 40 mil
3. buying him out doesn't make the cap hit go away. You end up paying him to not be on your roster.
4. He isn't worth the risk, he's not a good defender or rebounder and is average at best in the post offensively. Is that worth 10 mil a season for 4 years?

Not a good trade for either team.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: