Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
dffsaf9
Decent playground baller

Default NBA Draft Age Limit...My English Journal Entry

NBA Draft Age Limit

- The arrival of high school players entering the NBA draft in recent years has yielded both positive and negative returns.

- Kwame Brown, who became the first ever high school player to be taken with the #1 overall pick in 2001, is a prime example. The burden of being a number 1 pick has haunted his whole career, causing him to fall far short of his potential. Many experts feel Brown’s career has become such a failure because he was far too young and immature to handle the pressure of being the number one pick. It’s believed that if Brown had chosen to attend college before jumping straight into the draft, he would have been much more prepared for the pro game.

- You can also make an argument for those former high school players such as Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and Tracy Mcgrady who have had enormous success coming out of high school. In fact, Lebron James who was taken with the first pick in 2002 by Cleveland, has arguably become the most recognizable player in the NBA today.

- However NBA commissioner David Stern argues that for every Lebron James there is a Kwame Brown, which is why he implemented the first ever NBA age limit. Beginning in 2006 all U.S. players must be at least one year removed from high school and 19 years of age before entering the draft.

- The Toronto Raptors became the first victim of the new rule when they were awarded the number one pick in 2006. Due to the rule, the Raptors were denied 7-foot high school phenom Greg Oden, and settled for Italian prospect Andrea Bargnani.

- The new rule caused much controversy among players and around the entire league. Pacers star Jermaine O’Neal believes the new rule is racist. “You kind of think that’s the reason why it’s coming up. You don’t hear about it in baseball or hockey." Voiced O’Neal.

- - Often, players are forced to enter the draft out of high school because their stock as prospects may never be higher. A superstar out of a respected prep school is going to look a lot more attractive to NBA teams then a college role player.

- One of the greatest arguments against the new draft rule is, a lot of high school stars need the NBA because they are ineligible for college. NBA superstar and MVP Kevin Garnett didn't qualify academically to play in college due to poor SAT scores. Fortunately because of no rule Garnett was able to enter the draft.

- Despite some shortcomings, the new draft rule appears to be beneficial. The college game is awarded with big time NBA prospects that gain the experience of living the college life. Most importantly the new age limit keeps more of these kids in school so they can create a foundation for a career after basketball.

Last edited by dffsaf9 : 07-06-2007 at 12:45 AM.
dffsaf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
bail
Serious playground baller

Default Re: NBA Draft Age Limit...My English Journal Entry

You just copied it from articles found in the web.
bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Getting a good enough SAT score to go to university if you're a KG caliber player can be achieved quite easily if the student gives two fcks.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
dffsaf9
Decent playground baller

Quote:
You just copied it from articles found in the web

i guess in some way, that means you think i did a good job
Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsaf9
i guess in some way, that means you think i did a good job
wow I had to wright a persuasive essay, and this would have been PERFECT. but I didn't have time to ask for an alternative to the teachers choices.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
Big One
Local High School Star

"In fact, Lebron James who was taken with the first pick in 2002 by Cleveland"

i thought it was 2003?
Big One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
iggy_needs_help
I brick open layups

What did your teacher say about it? What grade did you get on it?
iggy_needs_help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
dffsaf9
Decent playground baller

it was media class...he's one of those lazy @sss teachers who marks slow and never gives crap back so i cant remember my mark
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #9
AtTheDriveIn
04'

It's done fairly well.. I have concerns on most of the points though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsaf9
Kwame Brown, who became the first ever high school player to be taken with the #1 overall pick in 2001, is a prime example. The burden of being a number 1 pick has haunted his whole career, causing him to fall far short of his potential. Many experts feel Brownís career has become such a failure because he was far too young and immature to handle the pressure of
being the number one pick. Itís believed that if Brown had chosen to attend college before jumping straight into the draft, he would have been much more prepared for the pro game.

You could go on to talk about how almost all High School draftees picked are based on potential. You could also say that most players weren't ready to be in the league, and could've used the College game to help work on their game. It's not that the expectation was wrong, it's that it was set too high considering he was a 6'11 kid playing with other centers who were 6'5 and smaller. You can't make an educated decision about how well he'd do in the league by this.

Quote:
You can also make an argument for those former high school players such as Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and Tracy Mcgrady who have had enormous success coming out of high school. In fact, Lebron James who was taken with the first pick in 2002 by Cleveland, has arguably become the most recognizable player in the NBA today.

You couldn't really make an argument for it. No player there bar Lebron could you say was ready to contribute at the NBA level immediately. Kobe, Garnett and McGrady were all fringe NBA players at the start of their careers. All could have used some time in the College game instead of sitting on the bench, and waiting for their chance to play obviously.

Quote:
However NBA commissioner David Stern argues that for every Lebron James there is a Kwame Brown, which is why he implemented the first ever NBA age limit. Beginning in 2006 all U.S. players must be at least one year removed from high school and 19 years of age before entering the draft.

For every Lebron James there are at least 5 Kwame Browns. High School picks are never justified, they're just used because of the potential one showed during his High School career, again stating that you can't make an educated guess how well someone is going to do without seeing them play in a real league.

Quote:
The new rule caused much controversy among players and around the entire league. Pacers star Jermaine OíNeal believes the new rule is racist. ďYou kind of think thatís the reason why itís coming up. You donít hear about it in baseball or hockey." Voiced OíNeal.

How is it racist? This comment really isn't needed in there. It hasn't been studied, and it sure as **** isn't true. If you can give me a good reason on why it's racist then I'll say fine, but there really isn't a reason. What does he think, Stern is trying to keep black players out of the NBA? Stupidity.

Quote:
Often, players are forced to enter the draft out of high school because their stock as prospects may never be higher. A superstar out of a respected prep school is going to look a lot more attractive to NBA teams then a college role player.

Thats fraud. Most players aren't worried about that anyway, most High Schoolers just want to make money out of the NBA and aren't willing to look at different paths and different career options. Going first round in the NBA Draft guarantees you 12-15 million dollars if you're a high lotter pick, but none consider the consequences of when they drop to the second round and even go undrafted.

Quote:
One of the greatest arguments against the new draft rule is, a lot of high school stars need the NBA because they are ineligible for college. NBA superstar and MVP Kevin Garnett didn't qualify academically to play in college due to poor SAT scores. Fortunately because of no rule Garnett was able to enter the draft.

As someone else said, if they wanted to be in the NBA, they would have had to of worked for it, instead of being jackasses, and not doing **** at school knowing they would make it to the NBA. The new rule states that you have to do well in school, and be decently educated to make it to the NBA.

--

Education is key. Write more on it and it looks pretty good to me.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: