Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Anyone with knowledge on Tennessee?

I was considering a short trip to somewhere somewhat near my home (Michigan) that I had not previously visited. Tennessee came to mind. I see numerous "great deals" for cabins in the Gatlinburg area. Anything to that locale? Or is it super touristy or something? Any alternative suggestions?

For someone coming from Michigan, any other under-10 hours locales that may be worth a look?

Default Re: Anyone with knowledge on Tennessee?

I don't live there but I've been to TN a lot.
    Gatlinburg is awesome.
    Tons of shit to do there like Dollywood, Skylift, etc.

inb4 rosez.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is a tourist shithole. Best thing is that it's right next to Smoky Mt Park if you're into that sort of thing. It's hard to even explain what it is.

Being from Michigan, imagine the worst parts of Frankenmuth, Mackinaw Island, and Michigan City all in one spot and tied up with a hillbilly bow, but right next to a beautiful national park.

Stick to Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is a tourist shithole. Best thing is that it's right next to Smoky Mt Park if you're into that sort of thing. It's hard to even explain what it is.

Being from Michigan, imagine the worst parts of Frankenmuth, Mackinaw Island, and Michigan City all in one spot and tied up with a hillbilly bow, but right next to a beautiful national park.

the only thing better than gatlinburg that u listed is memphis MAYBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I was considering a short trip to somewhere somewhat near my home (Michigan) that I had not previously visited. Tennessee came to mind. I see numerous "great deals" for cabins in the Gatlinburg area. Anything to that locale? Or is it super touristy or something? Any alternative suggestions?

For someone coming from Michigan, any other under-10 hours locales that may be worth a look?
    If you're a music fan both Nashville and Memphis are must visits.

I'm assuming (s)he isn't a 16 year old loser on vacation with his/parents.

NBA Superstar

Haha. I've heard some people say there's good aspects to Gatlinburg in terms of nature and hiking and whatnot. But then again, I just Googled Dollywood and your Frankenmuth comparison resonated pretty heavily. Had that 1960's tourist attraction feel to it. My friend mentioned some cheap cabins in the area and I figured there had to be a catch - that may be it.

Any solid-but-not-too-next-level nature or hiking opportunities in that region you know of? I'm not a guy who can pull off living on the land for multiple days and whatnot, but I do like exploring when I can. Is Smoky National great enough to offset the other stuff?
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-23-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Gaitlinburg is pretty touristy. But there's not a good deal of things to do in that part of the state particularly if you don't like outside stuff such as: Hiking in the Smokies. Abrams Falls is really cool, well worth the hike. It's a fair challenge, but nothing intimidating. Ramsey Cascades is a really nice hike you can go in and out in a day.

Dollywood is okay-ish. It's no Cedar Point, which I'm sure you've been too, but the Thunderhead is my favorite roller coaster that I've been on. Tennessee Tornado is solid in its own right. That's about it though for dollywood things could have changed since I haven't been there since 08ish. Ripley's Aquarium is pretty cool too. I have no idea how good it actually is in comparison to other ones since it's the only one I've been too.

Personally I prefer Memphis. You can take in all the jazz bars/clubs, Civil Rights Museum which is absolutely worth a visit if you like museums. If you come in early May there's the Beale Street Music Festival line up Memphis Zoo is really top notch. Tons of animals, well-maintained place, just about everything you could ask for in a zoo. Beale Street itself is home to tons of just interesting shops/eatery places.

Gus's is getting famous too thanks to ESPN.

Graceland obviously too.

Oh, it's world class hiking and nature. Being one of the most visited parks in the country it has plenty of spots you can drive to, park and then do a 20 min hike to an incredible view.

Despite being a forest ecologist, I don't like to camp and shit. I had a great time there. You can hit up a several amazing spots that are easily accessible and friendly to the old-young-overweight, etc.

NBA Superstar

Oh, it's world class hiking and nature. Being one of the most visited parks in the country it has plenty of spots you can drive to, park and then do a 20 min hike to an incredible view.

Despite being a forest ecologist, I don't like to camp and shit. I had a great time there. You can hit up a several amazing spots that are easily accessible and friendly to the old-young-overweight, etc.
    Sorry for being dense but just to make sure, you're still talking about Gatlinburg and Smoky National, right? So in theory, some cheap housing in the area could serve at least as a home base while we head to Smoky National and find worthwhile things there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Gaitlinburg is pretty touristy. But there's not a good deal of things to do in that part of the state particularly if you don't like outside stuff such as: Hiking in the Smokies. Abrams Falls is really cool, well worth the hike. It's a fair challenge, but nothing intimidating. Ramsey Cascades is a really nice hike you can go in and out in a day.

Dollywood is okay-ish. It's no Cedar Point, which I'm sure you've been too, but the Thunderhead is my favorite roller coaster that I've been on. Tennessee Tornado is solid in its own right. That's about it though for dollywood things could have changed since I haven't been there since 08ish. Ripley's Aquarium is pretty cool too. I have no idea how good it actually is in comparison to other ones since it's the only one I've been too.

Personally I prefer Memphis. You can take in all the jazz bars/clubs, Civil Rights Museum which is absolutely worth a visit if you like museums. If you come in early May there's the Beale Street Music Festival line up Memphis Zoo is really top notch. Tons of animals, well-maintained place, just about everything you could ask for in a zoo. Beale Street itself is home to tons of just interesting shops/eatery places.

Gus's is getting famous too thanks to ESPN.

Graceland obviously too.
    Good stuff, Rose. I appreciate the knowledge. Memphis sounds legit, but I feel myself leaning toward the mountainous side of the state. Is Knoxville a worthwhile stop as well?
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-23-2015 at 10:08 PM.

   

I'm assuming (s)he isn't a 16 year old loser on vacation with his/parents.
    rake is the man. he usually posts in the NBA i think, but his posts are sincere, enlightening, fascinating.

retract your words, deuce! retract them!

anyway i remember driving through TN with a GF a few years ago. we camped it up. no complaints. i liked the people.

and yet these were the same goofballs who couldn't choose one of their own over bush junior in that famous election, eh?

Banned

I know next to nothing except that Elvis is from there but I wonder if "Are you from Tennessee? Because you're the only ten I see!" works there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Sorry for being dense but just to make sure, you're still talking about Gatlinburg and Smoky National, right? So in theory, some cheap housing in the area could serve at least as a home base while we head to Smoky National and find worthwhile things there, right?
    Yes it can serve as home base with a few more restaurants (shitty ones) for day trips to Smoky Mt. National.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

gatlinburg is super touristy, but very very beautiful. Depends what you are into, but I think every place has something worthwhile. 10 hours from detroit-area can take you to a ton of interesting places. When are you going? Even within state, Traverse City, UP (Lake Gogebic, beaver island, etc) are all pretty fun, especially if you are going in the summer. Red River Gorge in KY is cool, so is Lexington. Memphis is sweet. Nashville is a little much. Land between the lakes is kinda eery. Do you have a passport?