Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Default Re: do air jordan releases still draw a long line?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    The three I've had over the years. I'm currently wearing the ones on top.

Nice. I see you tend to favor whites. I'm more partial to black.

I missed the raffle for these coming out on Saturday

Hopefully some pairs will be forfeited and up for grabs.

They draw lines over here i'm told. I work with a guy who collects them (He's got like 60 pairs or some ridiculous amount). Has to do the early morning lineup to get a pair.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Nice. I see you tend to favor whites. I'm more partial to black.

I missed the raffle for these coming out on Saturday

Hopefully some pairs will be forfeited and up for grabs.

Yeah, black shoes tend to make my feet look huge so I stick to the cleaner look. I like those black and purple V's you're chasing though. Not as much a fan of the III's you just posted though. But again, probably because I prefer the lighter colors. Like these:

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yeah, black shoes tend to make my feet look huge so I stick to the cleaner look. I like those black and purple V's you're chasing though. Not as much a fan of the III's you just posted though. But again, probably because I prefer the lighter colors. Like these:

Those are fire too.

Do you do anything special to keep your whites clean? I worry about them getting dirty easier. Are the shoe cleaners in the can worth it or do you just stick to damp cloths?

People who line-up for Jordans today are fools. All you have to do is wait a couple of years and they will retro them...again, Then again!
    I feel so violated but what the Jordan corperation has done with the retro collection. From all the loss sleep and constant research, relationship building that I've worked for to build my collection, all I had to do was wait and it gets retroed over and over. And trust me, the quality gets worse, and they charge more.
    The shoes I've collected over the years I used to be able to be able to get at least double the value at the time, now I'm lucky to get retail. I tried to sell a guy an OG pair or retro XI cool greys a couple of Chrsimats's ago and kid was like, naw, I'm just going to line up for the retros.
    To put into perspective how much demand is for Jordans, go to any open gym and check out what kicks people are wearing. It's all about Kobe's, Adidas, KD's....nobody wears Jordans anymore. Only collectors and resellers. Jordan is dead to me. i've even put my shoes on consignment trying to unload them.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    People who line-up for Jordans today are fools. All you have to do is wait a couple of years and they will retro them...again, Then again!
    Every retro release is highly anticipated and forces a buyer to line up though. Especially when you have rappers who send out their cliques to buy multiple pairs for them since it's limited to 1 per customer.

And, yeah, it's a shame about the declining quality. Are these things even comfortable to wear anymore? Jordans used to feel so luxurious and plush on the feet. I haven't tried on a pair in over a decade, so I have no idea how these modern retros feel.

Every retro release is highly anticipated and forces a buyer to line up though. Especially when you have rappers who send out their cliques to buy multiple pairs for them since it's limited to 1 per customer.

And, yeah, it's a shame about the declining quality. Are these things even comfortable to wear anymore? Jordans used to feel so luxurious and plush on the feet. I haven't tried on a pair in over a decade, so I have no idea how these modern retros feel.
    They aren't assembled for durability anymore. The stitching is more made for the mantle, the material for casual walking. Yet they charge more because they are sought after from collectors. what the collectors don't realize the value no longer and hasn't been therein the last 5 years. I'll keep certain pairs just for the nostalgia and sentiment, but no longer does my collection hold value.

As for comfort, today's technology has far surpassed anything made before it. Shoes are lighter, more breathable, and more comfortable that they've ever been. I'd wear my Derrick rose all-stars over my AJ XI 10 out of 10 times any day.
    Here's my collection (this was in 2005 so I've grown it since then) if you're interested, and it doesn't include my And 1's, adiadas, pumus, Fila, converse, and non-jordan stuff.

http://www.slideroll.com/show.php?s=ha1wm9jq

BTW, HWL, you've become somewhat of my predecessor on here. You're a supplement junkie, a shoe junkie, you have the same demenor, you're like the little bro I've never had on here.
    Last edited by hateraid; 05-24-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Best J's ever. Can't wait for June 15th.

You ever own those, Screwston?
    Nope, never had those. Hope to snag them this time. They supposedly limited so might be more difficult to get.

I feel so violated but what the Jordan corperation has done with the retro collection. From all the loss sleep and constant research, relationship building that I've worked for to build my collection, all I had to do was wait and it gets retroed over and over. And trust me, the quality gets worse, and they charge more.
    Yes, they retro every few years but depending where you live, there will still be a line when they retro whatever shoe again. You're kidding yourself if you think that waiting for the next time they retro, won't be a line. Might be an even bigger line with the way things have been going.

To put into perspective how much demand is for Jordans, go to any open gym and check out what kicks people are wearing. It's all about Kobe's, Adidas, KD's....nobody wears Jordans anymore. Only collectors and resellers. Jordan is dead to me. i've even put my shoes on consignment trying to unload them.
    that's because those Kobe's, KDs, Lebrons have much better technology for basketball shoes. These Jordan Retros were made in the 90s. Most people don't wear them to hoop, but for casual.

I wish you were right but The demand is still there, if not even bigger. Just about every OG retro sells out and people line up every time they drop. Where I live, everyone still wears Jordans. Still creates ridiculous hype that you don't see with other brands. DS space jams still go for $300+

And I'm glad some resell prices have gone down. If people would just stop paying over retail for a pair of sneakers, these resellers would be out of business and have a room full of unsold sneakers. Then again, JB could just make more pairs and that would solve many problems.

NBA Superstar

Those are fire too.

Do you do anything special to keep your whites clean? I worry about them getting dirty easier. Are the shoe cleaners in the can worth it or do you just stick to damp cloths?
    I don't do anything special but my little brother owns all sorts of chemicals and cleaners and whatnot. He was buying shoes second hand and refurbishing them for a while. I'd have to check exactly what he uses.

Personally, I buy the Jordans to wear them. It's kind of tough to get down to wearing them for the first time, because I hate breaking up the pristine beauty, but the original reason I ever bought a pair was to play in them, so I'm not sure I could convince myself to spend that kind of money and not get maximum use. And so, I kind of just accept their wear and tear. I rock 'em until they become too slick for indoor use, then I wear them outside until the toe rips through.

My newest V's actually broke in pretty well. I've had bigger problems with my BB4 retros. The few times I've tried to play in them, they've hurt pretty good.

These, it feels like my foot is going to fall out every time I take a step::

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    Yes, they retro every few years but depending where you live, there will still be a line when they retro whatever shoe again. You're kidding yourself if you think that waiting for the next time they retro, won't be a line. Might be an even bigger line with the way things have been going.
    There are line-ups for some of the iconic pairs ie: XI cool greys, space jams, concordes, III fire reds... nobody is lining up for shoes like the V grapes and other off colorways anymore, at least not around here. And if you look at the people who are lining up, yes they are fools, maybe more like sheep, herding to something they think has value. If they were smart they could probably research and get an OG pair off Flighclub or ebay. But comparing to the line-ups back in the time of the original OG retros, that was when it was the pinnacle of collecting.

that's because those Kobe's, KDs, Lebrons have much better technology for basketball shoes. These Jordan Retros were made in the 90s. Most people don't wear them to hoop, but for casual.
    Same could be said of the early 2000. Shoe technology had been getting better, at least better than some of the retros coming out. But you still saw more people rocking III's or IX's on the court over some of the more technologically advanced Flights or Huraches. If it was still a respected brand ballers would still wear them over today's current shoes. If it was still a respected brand the current Jordans would be in demand IE CP3 or Melos.

I wish you were right but The demand is still there, if not even bigger. Just about every OG retro sells out and people line up every time they drop. Where I live, everyone still wears Jordans. Still creates ridiculous hype that you don't see with other brands. DS space jams still go for $300+
    The landscape of the people buying now has completely changed. It's not the shoeheads or basketball players, it's resellers and hipsters that buy the shoes now. I just recently unloaded some space jams for $300. I told the guy to meet me at the gym. He meets me and the kid looked like a total hipster. Even rode in on his skateboard. Inspected the shoes and looked for the typical collector things and gives me what I asked. I asked him if he wanted to stick around and play. he says naw man, I don't play ball. these are the people lining up.

And I'm glad some resell prices have gone down. If people would just stop paying over retail for a pair of sneakers, these resellers would be out of business and have a room full of unsold sneakers. Then again, JB could just make more pairs and that would solve many problems.
    I wish they did, or just quit the retro game all together and just focus on marketing, aquiring new athletes and building the brand. I bet if the did that they could sell any iconic retro for $500 a pair every ten years and sell twice as many units and still carry a reputable brand for basketballers.
    Last edited by hateraid; 05-24-2013 at 02:48 PM.

There are line-ups for some of the iconic pairs ie: XI cool greys, space jams, concordes, III fire reds... nobody is lining up for shoes like the V grapes and other off colorways anymore, at least not around here. And if you look at the people who are lining up, yes they are fools, maybe more like sheep, herding to something they think has value. If they were smart they could probably research and get an OG pair off Flighclub or ebay. But comparing to the line-ups back in the time of the original OG retros, that was when it was the pinnacle of collecting.
    I guess it just depends where you live. The Grape Vs were highly sought after here. As for lining up, if that's how they are being released, people line up. But for safety reasons, most releases herenhave been either raffle or RSVP.

I love sneakers but not enough to pay flightclub and eBay resell prices

The landscape of the people buying now has completely changed. It's not the shoeheads or basketball players, it's resellers and hipsters that buy the shoes now. I just recently unloaded some space jams for $300. I told the guy to meet me at the gym. He meets me and the kid looked like a total hipster. Even rode in on his skateboard. Inspected the shoes and looked for the typical collector things and gives me what I asked. I asked him if he wanted to stick around and play. he says naw man, I don't play ball. these are the people lining up.
    Completely agree. I have some friends, who use to tease me in high school for always picking up Jordans. Well these days those same friends are all about Jordans

I wish they did, or just quit the retro game all together and just focus on marketing, aquiring new athletes and building the brand. I bet if the did that they could sell any iconic retro for $500 a pair every ten years and sell twice as many units and still carry a reputable brand for basketballers.
    Highly disagree here. I absolutely love the Retro collection. To me, they're the best looking sneakers. Simple but at the same time, fashionable. I don't like a lot of these new sneakers today because some just have too much going on. I'll hoop in them, but wear Jordans when I go out.

Not even just Jordan Retros, but everybody else bringing back classics. This year has been great for a retro lover like me as they've brought back the Fila Grant Hills, RBK Shaq Attaqs and the Answer/Question line. And later this year, the Dikembes

As for new athletes and such, they do have Melo and CP3 signature shoes and D Wade before he left for Li Ning. I believe Blake Griffin is with Jordan as well. Problem is, Jordan is such an iconic brand, that's it hard for someone else come out from under the shadows of Jordan brand. You can see how the Lebron and Kobe signature lines have been successful.

There have been some nice non Jordan Retros, they just don't get much love because they are not Retros. Which is fine with me because I don't buy my kicks based on hype.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    Highly disagree here. I absolutely love the Retro collection. To me, they're the best looking sneakers. Simple but at the same time, fashionable. I don't like a lot of these new sneakers today because some just have too much going on. I'll hoop in them, but wear Jordans when I go out.

Not even just Jordan Retros, but everybody else bringing back classics. This year has been great for a retro lover like me as they've brought back the Fila Grant Hills, RBK Shaq Attaqs and the Answer/Question line. And later this year, the Dikembes

As for new athletes and such, they do have Melo and CP3 signature shoes and D Wade before he left for Li Ning. I believe Blake Griffin is with Jordan as well. Problem is, Jordan is such an iconic brand, that's it hard for someone else come out from under the shadows of Jordan brand. You can see how the Lebron and Kobe signature lines have been successful.

There have been some nice non Jordan Retros, they just don't get much love because they are not Retros. Which is fine with me because I don't buy my kicks based on hype.
    Maybe I've become a crusty old shoehead who can't accept change. (Apparently that's my new schtick on here ). When you've been collecting for over a decade I guess it gets a little disheartening to see a rerelease of something you've made an epic journey over, only to devalue what you currently have.
    As for the brand in itself, I see it more as a novelty now over a premium basketball shoe brand. They used to be at the top of the basketball shoe game is the 00's. It has now become what Ice Creams and Bapes were over that period. A fashion item. This to me will kill the brand all together. Once the novelty wears off, the brand will be a sitting duck, just like Ice Creams and Bapes. We still live in a generation where the consumers still recognize Jordan the brand. This may be over soon with the next generation and the emergence of new faces in the shoe game.
    KD's, Brons, Kobes, Rose will never reach that level of demand that the Jordan brand has acheived. But the shoe game as a whole will go back to the days where athletes can be endorsed despite the shoe brand. Back it the day where Nique wore Brooks, Bird and Magic wore converse, Worthy wore New Balance, The Dream wore Etonics, Dee Brown wore pumps....
    But agin I'm just an old man ranting

That's the last time I wake up early trying to do an on-line Jordan purchase.

I was delusional to think it would go in my favor.

I guess it wasn't meant to be, my dear Cement 3's.

I can't believe these sold out almost as fast as the Cement 88 AJ's.

Re-sellers and their automatic purchase bots.

Pretty funny vid of a guy reviewing the Air Raid II Peace Editions. An underappreciated classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1D0R05Q8c