Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    College superstar

Default How will the Rockets handle Parson's contract?

Parsons currently makes $926,500 which is ridiculously low for his talent level. Morey has come out and said that he and Parsons have talked about his salary and how he can't really do anything about it even if he wanted to.

Next season, the Rockets have a team option to retain Parsons for another year at only $964,750.

There are a few things that the Rockets can do:

They can retain him for just $964,750 and let him be unrestricted free agent in 2015. In 2014-15, the Rockets have a payroll totaling $68,877,826, but that number is reduced to $39,025,702 in 2015-16 which would allow the Rockets to sign another star player to join Harden and Dwight.

They could also not take the Team Option and let Parsons hit restricted FA and see what he gets. This would be the best thing for Parsons as it would get him out of a ridiculously low contract, but it's also risky for the Rockets because Parsons could potentially demand a larger contract than the Rockets are willing to pay.

They execute the team option for Parsons and use him as part of a trade along with someone like Asik or Lin for another player. LMA and Kevin Love come to mind as potentials to play alongside Harden and Dwight.

I just think it'll be interesting how the Rockets handle this situation as Parsons is one of the reasons Dwight went to Houston. Parsons is also potentially a future All-Star if he keeps improving.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: How will the Rockets handle Parson's contract?

It's Morey.

Parsons will be getting his team options until they're forced to extend him BEFORE he hits RFA.

If Parsons hits RFA I guarantee he won't be a Rocket.

Morey doesn't overpay for anyone unless they're a perennial all star, border line superstar caliber player which I don't believe Parsons will ever become.

I think I read somewhere that Morey is going to let Parsons play his contract out this season. Don't quote me on that though.

As he should.

Parsons signed a contract, you honor that.

It's just gonna suck letting Parsons go though. He's young, good, white and handsome as hell. We need him.

Banned

If Houston decides to not keep Parsons, I'd rather them trade him to a contender that needs a SF than let him walk for free. Although finding a good trade scenerio would be hard with his small contract.

I'd like if Parsons stays with HOU. He's probably the best shooter on the Rockets, also adds pretty good athletism, and can play the 4 late in games.

Quote Originally Posted by CanYouDigIt
    If Houston decides to not keep Parsons, I'd rather them trade him to a contender that needs a SF than let him walk for free. Although finding a good trade scenerio would be hard with his small contract.

I'd like if Parsons stays with HOU. He's probably the best shooter on the Rockets, also adds pretty good athletism, and can play the 4 late in games.
    How is it hard to find a good trade scenario with a player who's on a rookie contract?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRaymond23
    How is it hard to find a good trade scenario with a player who's on a rookie contract?
    Making the money match with a good player not on a rookie contract i think is what he means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    It's just gonna suck letting Parsons go though. He's young, good, white and handsome as hell. We need him.
    If Parsons leaves its becuase the Rockets didn't believe he was worth whatever offers he gets as a free agent. They'll have his full Bird Rights once his contract expires and will be able to pay him as much as they desire.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    If Parsons leaves its becuase the Rockets didn't believe he was worth whatever offers he gets as a free agent. They'll have his full Bird Rights once his contract expires and will be able to pay him as much as they desire.
    See the thing is I can't think of the last time we went over the cap though. I don't think we'd be willing to do that which is crazy not to to me.

Making the money match with a good player not on a rookie contract i think is what he means.
    Well in that aspect yes but there's always going to be a ton of suitors for a great player on a rookie scale contract.

Rockets could get a good young prospect/picks easily for Parsons today, let alone down the line after a season or 2.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRaymond23
    Well in that aspect yes but there's always going to be a ton of suitors for a great player on a rookie scale contract.

Rockets could get a good young prospect/picks easily for Parsons today, let alone down the line after a season or 2.
    There aren't a lot of players of Parson's caliber that are tradable who still on their rookie contracts. Parsons is on that Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard level.

maybe YOU need him more than you're letting on

IMO, taking the team option is the best course. if they allow Parsons to hit RFA, they will be forced to pay much higher (if they want to keep him).

good players on rookie contracts are an asset.
    Last edited by I<3NBA; 10-24-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA

maybe YOU need him more than you're letting on

Shhhhh

College superstar

The Rockets have Lin and Asik's contracts...

Parsons and Asik would be able to net the Rockets someone like LMA or Love easily I'd imagine. Love might need a third team involved since they already have Pek.

Lin is also expendable because the Rockets have Beverly who has shown that he could become as good or better than Lin. I see it as kind of pointless though as Lin would be an expiring by that point and the package of Parsons and Lin might not even get them a player of Parson's caliber.