Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #1
meanmonster
I brick open layups

meanmonster has an OK reputation so far
Default It's obvious

Its obvious to see why todays players are not fundamentally sound nor can they shoot foul shots, 3 point shots, etc. etc. Everyone is worried about jumping and dunking. Just read threads on many sports sites. Fundamentals are gone. Look what dunking got Darius Miles, Harold Miner, Shaq never learned anything else so he is trash now ... his whole game revolved around physical strength and dunking... now he is worthless... a word of wisdom... a dunk is worth only 2 points if you cannot do anything else... what good does it do?
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: It's obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmonster
Its obvious to see why todays players are not fundamentally sound nor can they shoot foul shots, 3 point shots, etc. etc. Everyone is worried about jumping and dunking. Just read threads on many sports sites. Fundamentals are gone. Look what dunking got Darius Miles, Harold Miner, Shaq never learned anything else so he is trash now ... his whole game revolved around physical strength and dunking... now he is worthless... a word of wisdom... a dunk is worth only 2 points if you cannot do anything else... what good does it do?

Most of the people (kids actually, usually 13-18) who post on the streetball forum only want the hops. They dont have the drive to get the skill. Thats why all of the get hops quick programs exist and Euro ball kicks the crap out of our olympic team. But ill tell you what, a dunk in a close contested highschool to college game is a dagger in the heart and a momentum changer. So, yes, two points but its also a little somthing on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmonster
Shaq never learned anything else so he is trash now
And he is still averaging a double double... Is that not decent?

Last edited by Fallguy20 : 05-03-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
determined2win
I hit open layups

determined2win has an OK reputation so far

youre right, ill start dunking when theyre worth 3 points. there is more to basketball than just shooting, you have to play it smart.
determined2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

ass far as the lack of fundamentals, blame the coaches and not so much the players. the players shouldn't be getting as far as they do w/o the basics.

as far as shaq, he's on the downslide but he's had a great career. what do you want him to do, some streetball ballhandling tricks or what? the dude is 7' whatever and massive as hell, hence his low post, knock-the-crap-outta-people gameplay.

Last edited by jbot : 05-04-2008 at 07:38 AM.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

I train my hops, not for the sole purpose of dunking, but being more athletic helps with alot of things. If you can jump higher/run faster, it makes rebounding easier, blocking shots easier, and not getting blocked easier.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wow dude are you an idiot or what. Post this in the main forum, watch how badly you'll get roasted.

Shaq has dominated for YEARS because of his strength and power, but also because he can move his heavy body so much to allow himself to dunk. Shaq can't just turn around and dunk, no one can, you have to do a move to allow your self to dunk.

Shaq was exceptional in his post skills, he was the best in the post because he was strong, he was quick and he had the moves to allow himself to dunk.

Not to mention he is old now, people retire at his age, but he is still playing the toughest position in the NBA and still getting double doubles like it was nothing for him, rarely dunking.

It's like saying "LOL, look how overated shooting is. Look where it got Vince Carter, he used to score alot but people realized he can only do that, now he only averages 20 points, instead of 25" He is also old now too, you can't talk **** about Shaq considering he is top ten all time.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
lil_watz
I brick open layups

lil_watz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

I have a hard time believing this is the reason why so many people aren't fundamentally sound. Fundamentals should be taught at an early age and practiced through your career. When I started playing in the 3rd grade I didn't forego the foul shots and layups to work on my jumping and dunking.

And what do you expect Shaq to do, pop out and hit an open three? He is not a Dirk who is afraid to go down low. You need to understand there are 5 players on the court. What good would it do to have five good shooters on the court who are 6'3? They would get dominated down low.

and "a dunk is only worth two," good argument. So is anything else shot inside of the three point line, guess we better quit shooting those because they are pointless. And guess what, foul shots are only worth one, better stop shooting those as well. I finally understand what you are saying, we should all practice shooting the 3 ball. Whether 5 foot nothing or 7 foot 6 we should stand outside of the arc and wait for someone to pass us the ball so we can shoot. You hit the nail on the head, teach everyone to shoot the long ball because that wins games.

One more thing while I'm at it, Shaq might be past his prime but he is still one of the greatest players to play the game, two points at a time. Not every player is a Jordan, Kobe, or Lebron who can do it all. But then again what do I know, I shoot mainly two's and still want to jump higher.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
i cant dunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

i cant dunk has an OK reputation so far

i think he was just trying to say that jumping high isn't that great. im 15 and i do not care for the hops but i know a guy same height as me and can dunk and it has a huge advantage over me considering im much more skilled.
i cant dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: