Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - Lakers Notebook: Bynum works out

Source: Lakers Notebook: Bynum works out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad brad turner

LOS ANGELES - About 40 minutes before the Lakers played Dallas on Friday, Andrew Bynum was on the Staples Center court working out.

Bynum worked on low-post moves, getting the entry pass from assistant coach Jim Cleamons and being defended by assistant Kurt Rambis, who made some contact by keeping his arm in Bynum's back.

But there still is no clear timetable for Bynum's return from a left kneecap injury that has sidelined him since Jan. 13.

Bynum, who has missed 40 games, said he'd like to play in the final two regular-season games, which would be home games against San Antonio and Sacramento. He was asked if he planned on being back for the start of the playoffs.

"At this point, I'm trying to get back a couple of games before," Bynum said. "Just because I want to try and get a tuneup. Try maybe to go out there and have a couple of games under my belt. The last two games, that's the closest I can get back."

Bynum will travel with the Lakers for games at Sacramento on Sunday and
Tuesday in Portland, but he will not play and is going to "just bond with my teammates."

Lakers coach Phil Jackson was asked if there was a possibility Bynum wouldn't be back before the regular season ends April 15.

"Oh, sure, there is a very good possibility," Jackson said.

Jackson said Bynum is reaching some of the standards in his recovery, "but he's not reaching all of them."

Friday night was the first time Bynum had been on the court working with coaches.

"We're not anticipating Andrew has to play in a regular-season game," Jackson said. "... I think we'll be fine whether or not he plays in the regular-season game or he starts playing sometime during the playoffs."
Bynum said he started running last Thursday with his teammates, all of it non-contact.

"I want to get out there, not only just for myself, but also to get used to playing with Pau (Gasol)," Bynum said. "I haven't done that yet. I've got some adjustments to make."

Jackson said Bynum and Gasol may not play together in a game, but that it could happen during practice. Jackson said the adjustment for the two will be on defense.

"The actual experience playing together is probably best formed and best learned ... on the court during a practice session," Jackson said. "Having the ability to play and work things out together."

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - Lakers Notebook: Bynum works out

the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and brighter.

I cant wait until the playoffs.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
SCV42
Buck Foston

Default Re: Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - Lakers Notebook: Bynum works out

That is very good news that there are no apparent setbacks on his recovery. I am very eager to see how that front line is gonna work together.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Quote:
Jackson said Bynum and Gasol may not play together in a game, but that it could happen during practice.
Does he mean that Gasol and Bynum will not start as PF/C ???
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
Does he mean that Gasol and Bynum will not start as PF/C ???

From everything I have read, PJax feels that Bynum will be part of the Mob Squad (second unit) for the first few games back... although no specific timetable has been given on when Bynum and Pau will play together.... it will take some adjustment for both of them, and to get immediate value from Bynum in the playoffs, it makes sense to have him start out as part of the second unit.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: