Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 05-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
JMEWLS

Default "Brian Hill's future as Orlando Magic coach in doubt"

Quote:
Brian Hill no longer is guaranteed of keeping his job as head coach of the Orlando Magic, and he might not know his fate for two to three weeks, the Orlando Sentinel has learned.

"People ask me if Brian Hill will be back as our coach. All I can say is that I have no answer for that right now," Magic President Bob Vander Weide told the Sentinel on Wednesday.

The Magic had said after the team was swept in the playoffs by the Detroit Pistons that Hill was expected to be back, but Vander Weide said Wednesday, "Sometimes there are no guarantees in life."

Vander Weide said there are some philosophical issues between management and Hill; chief among those is the team's style of play.

"We have to see if there wasn't the opportunity to run the ball more,'' Vander Weide said. "Style of play is one of the key things.''

Hill could not be reached for comment.

Hill, 59, has two years remaining on a four-year contract he signed in May 2005.

Vander Weide said he wants to take "two to three weeks" to "go through the process" of evaluating his team's past season and the job that Hill did.

Hill led the Magic to their first playoff appearance since 2003 after the young, erratic team finished 40-42.

The Magic started the season strong at 13-4 and were 22-14 in early January. But they slumped badly, partly because of injuries and losses to sub-.500 teams before rallying to clinch a postseason berth.

As the No. 8 seed, they drew the No. l-seeded Pistons but were no match despite some competitive games.

"I can tell you there is a certain level of frustration the way we limped into the playoffs," Vander Weide said.

The Magic had said even while the team struggled that they still had confidence in Hill. General Manager Otis Smith told the Sentinel before the Magic faced the Houston Rockets on March 11 that he expected Hill to "fulfill his contractual obligations" through 2009.

Although he became a target of fan criticism -- one launched a FireBrianHill.org Web site -- Hill had said he was not worried about "my job security."

But by the end of the season, Hill was receiving lukewarm endorsements from Vander Weide and Smith.

Vander Weide said after the Magic were ousted by the Pistons that he was "satisfied" with his team, and a day later, Smith said he "expected" Hill to return.

Smith said Sunday at RDV Sportsplex after the Magic met for the final time that the club might have to "take a look" at its offense to see "if we're getting the best out of our guys."

The Magic were 27th (out of 30 teams) in scoring at 94.8 points per game and next-to-last in assists distributed and turnovers committed.

Center Dwight Howard and point guard Jameer Nelson ranked first and second in making turnovers.

Nelson admitted he was disappointed in his play in his first season as a full-time starter. Asked on 740 The Team during his weekly segment Wednesday whether Nelson was the team's point guard of the future, Smith said it depended on the offense. "It depends on how we play. If we continue to play the style we've been playing, maybe not," Smith said.

"But if we increase the tempo a little bit -- which we're talking about -- I think he can be."

Hill wouldn't say Sunday whether the Magic needed to upgrade at point guard. In fact, when told that Smith said the Magic's biggest need this offseason was a scorer, Hill said he was not comfortable giving his opinion, adding he would "defer" to the general manager.

Hill was hired for the second time by the Magic on May 24, 2005, taking over for interim coach Chris Jent. Jent had replaced Johnny Davis, who was fired as head coach.

Hill had been fired by the Magic after a player revolt in 1997, ending a near four-year run in which Hill took Orlando to the NBA Finals in 1995.

In his first season back with the team in 2005-06, Hill led the Magic to a 36-46 record -- the same record they compiled under Davis and Jent the previous season.

"We're doing our due diligence," Vander Weide said. "We want to get to a point where we can say the Orlando Magic are competing for championships, and that means evaluating our playing personnel and our coaching personnel."

'People ask me if Brian Hill will be back as our coach. All I can say is that I have no answer for that right now.'

-- MAGIC PRESIDENT BOB VANDER WEIDE
SOURCE:CLICK HERE

This is what i've been looking for, i'm hoping he gets fired.

We need someone like Rick Carlisle who did wonders with Jermaine, he would probably do it with Dwight too, if not. BETTER!

I always thought he was on lock for a coaching job next season, who would the wool outta Ortis's eyes?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Default Re: "Brian Hill's future as Orlando Magic coach in doubt"

I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't see a big problem with Brian Hill. I don't think he's a bad coach, he has improved the Magic defense significantly. And he has improved the Magic overall as a team from their below mediocre season last year. I'm not sure that firing Hill will solve any problems or make Orlando a better team.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
JMEWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't see a big problem with Brian Hill. I don't think he's a bad coach, he has improved the Magic defense significantly. And he has improved the Magic overall as a team from their below mediocre season last year. I'm not sure that firing Hill will solve any problems or make Orlando a better team.
Look at players like JJ Redick and Darko Milicic.

Both i think have huge potential, and both guys should be getting more minutes then they are getting now. We dont have a real outside shooting threat, JJ would fill the void, but he just wont get the minutes.

Darko's been amazing during the playoffs, and its even more proof of why he should be getting more minutes, and even being tested at the starting spot.

Trevor Ariza i also think should be getting much more minutes, he's our best defensive player outside of Dwight IMO. He's explosive and can get to the ring with ease.

Bad coaching decisions are holding us down. We let Jameer take the final shot, when we can give the ball to Dwight inside and will have a much better chance at winning us the game.

Brian Hill hasn't bothered to find a way to give Dwight the ball. He gets around 10shots a game, and i think it should be somewhere just below 20.

He's a great coach defensively, there's no doubt about that. But offensively, he hasn't got a clue on what he's doing. Come crunch time he's making bad decisions making us drop games we should be winning.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
AtTheDriveIn
04'

I just came here to see if there was any new news.

I'm with JM, HOPING THEY FIRE BRIAN HILLS ASS!!

..going back to do assignments now
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: