Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Rosters for USA Basketball's intra-squad scrimmage at UNLV on Thursday... USA Blue Team: 46 Harrison Barnes, 36 DeMarcus Cousins, 42 Anthony Davis, 41 DeMar DeRozan, 37 Derrick Favors, 31 Gordon Hayward, 22 Damian Lillard, 62 Greg Monroe, 34 Klay Thompson, 51 Dion Waiters, 26 Kemba Walker, 50 John Wall. Twitter

[QUOTE]The Utah Jazz have signed undrafted rookie Ian Clark, his agent, Bill Duffy, told The Salt Lake Tribune.

Clark was named the MVP of the Las Vegas Summer League after a 33-point performance in Golden State

Terms of Clark's deal, first reported by USA Today, haven't been announced. But the guard's contract is set up similarly to recent Jazz signee John Lucas III, with the first year being guaranteed and a team option for 2014-15.

Clark, who chose Utah over several other NBA offers, expects to get a chance to play. He is known for his prolific scoring but is also heralded for being a good defender.

"I was so happy to end up with Utah when I got the news," Clark told USA Today. "I'm just a little bit overwhelmed."

The 6-3 Clark went undrafted out of Belmont, a small school in Nashville, Tenn., but he caught the attention of many in the NBA by his breakout play this summer, topped by a 33-point performance in the Warriors' 91-77 win over Phoenix in the Vegas title game Monday. Clark, who also played for Miami's summer squad in Orlando, averaged 12.4 points with the Warriors while earning MVP honors.

NBA teams certainly knew about him before the draft, though.

At Belmont, Clark scored 18.4 points and connected on 45.9 percent of his 3-pointers — third-best in the NCAA — his senior season. This past spring, Clark was named the Ohio Valley Conference co-player of the year with Murray State's Isaiah Canaan along with earning the league's defensive player of the year honor.

In March, Clark scored 21 points in an opening-round loss to Arizona at an NCAA Tournament game played at EnergySolutions Arena.

"I didn't expect to get drafted," Clark said. "I wanted to come into Summer League, and it was my shot to show what I could do. It's good to be here. Hard work pays off. You never want to settle."

Clark scored in double digits in nine of 12 games with summer league teams in Orlando and Las Vegas. He also hit 28 of 61 3-pointers.

Incidentally, Clark shot 5-for-9 from the field and scored 15 points for the Heat in Jazz rookie point guard Trey Burke's rough 1-for-12 debut two weeks ago.

"I'm going to continue to work," Clark said. "The knock on me was playing the point guard position. It's something I've worked on over the summer a lot. I'm not going to be a pure point, but being able to handle the ball and make reads and come off ball screens and make plays is something I'm working on.

"It's been a long process, but you have to keep working."

Clark's signing brings the Jazz roster to the league minimum of 13 players with guaranteed contracts. It's unknown what his addition means to the future of combo guard Jerel McNeal, who finished the 2012-13 season with the Jazz and has a nonguaranteed deal with Utah.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
    As I suspected Lucas is guaranteed just for this year. Another good defender it sounds like. McNeal is done I'd imagine. Camp fodder at best but who knows since they both are combo guards but different ages and experience. Clark could spend the year in the D-League or the first couple of months before McNeal becomes guaranteed for the season anyway. I'd say they need another veteran big man. Maybe give someone cap relief for a pick as we heard earlier?

Trey Burke

Kevin Pelton: Most likely to claim Ayon, in waiver order: PHI, UTA, GSW, LAC. ATL and CLE could also make it happen but unlikely. Twitter @kpelton
    He could be the other 'vet' big they need? Leave one roster spot. They still planning on giving someone cap relief for another pick?
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 07-26-2013 at 12:06 AM.

[QUOTE]Gordon Hayward is making a strong impression on Team USA coaches and teammates.

The 23-year-old Hayward is spending his second straight summer with USA basketball.

Gordon Hayward recorded 7 points and 3 rebounds in 24 minutes in Team USA's Blue and White Scrimmate at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Hayward's Jazz teammate, Derrick Favors, added 5 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, despite not playing in the second half, as their "blue" team lost 128-106.

Hayward was particularly active early, breaking up passes and distributing the ball. He made his first 3-point attempt and opened the sencond half with a corner jumper.

Cleveland guard Kyrie Irving led all scorers with 23 points, while New Orleans' forward Anthony Davis added 22 points and 7 rebounds for the white team. The scrimmage marked the conclusion of a four-day minicamp in Las Vegas, where 28 young players tried to catch the eye of Team USA coach Krzyzewski and earn a spot on the roster for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup and, eventually, on the 2016 Olympic squad.

Hayward and Favors both represented the Jazz last summer when they played on the Team USA "select" team, which practiced against the team that went on to win gold at the London Games. Hayward and Favors were generally listed among players who stood out this week, but their future with Team USA remains uncertain. However, they'll have every opportunity to increase their stock. They will both serve greatly enhanced roles for the rebuilding Jazz.

“We got smashed, but it was just good to be out there competing with ‘USA’ on your chest,” said Hayward, who made a post-Butler name for himself at minicamp. “It’s pretty frustrating (to lose), but what can you do? When I was out there, I played hard.”

Jazz power forward Derrick Favors, on the other hand, had an even more frustrating night because he wasn’t able to be on the Thomas & Mack Center court to play hard for very long with Team Blue.

Favors tweaked his lower back at practice Wednesday — no shocker, he didn’t tell anybody — and then quickly realized Thursday night that his mobility was impacted by the injury.

The 6-10 big man spent the entire second half in the training room, getting treatment on his back while 23 other Team USA hopefuls played an entertaining exhibition game.

“I couldn’t really move, couldn’t really jump, couldn’t run, so I just sat out,” Favors said, hunched over in obvious discomfort. “I was mad. I was mad as hell about it.”

Though ticked about the inconvenient timing of his back issue, Favors isn’t too worried about it keeping him sidelined from his goal of entering training camp in prime physical and mental playing shape.

“You’ve just got to regroup, rest a little bit and get back to it,” Favors said. “It just tightened. It ain’t that serious.”

The lower-back injury certainly explains why Favors looked sluggish in his short stint of just eight minutes (only player with single-digit PT). He didn't get in until the 8:09 mark of the second quarter, and he had a couple of turnovers, including one in which he bobbled away an on-target pass inside the paint from Hayward.

By the time halftime arrived, Favors had a very Vegas-like boxscore line. His statistical straight included one steal, two turnovers, three rebounds, four fouls and five points.

Despite his back and playing struggles, Favors said his second experience with USA Basketball — he and Hayward were on last summer’s Select Team that trained the gold-medal-winning national team — was definitely a positive one.

His takeaway from Vegas?

“Just how to bring it every day in practice, being around a lot of other good basketball players,” he said. “Just working hard and just bringing it every day.”

His two-team teammate, Hayward, is one of the guys who did that this week during three days of training sessions with the bulk of the best young American basketball talent — from Kyrie Irving (game-high 23 points Thursday) to Olympian Anthony Davis (22 points) and Weber State alum Damian Lillard (nine points, three assists).

Hayward made a strong impression in the practices and then continued his two-way solid effort in this intrasquad scrimmage in front of 9,513 patriotic basketball fans.

The versatile 6-8 wing, who started with Lillard, Davis, Dion Waiters and Greg Monroe, began the game with a steal, then pushed the ball upcourt and dished to Lillard for a strong dunk.

A moment later, Hayward swished a 3-pointer as Team Blue took an 11-1 lead.

Hayward finished with seven points, three assists, three steals and one rebound. He hit 2 of 5 shots and had one turnover in 23 minutes, but he seemed to be one of the few players who cared about busting it on the defensive end in this high-scoring highlight-friendly event.

“I gained some confidence, for sure. I gained some respect probably from other people,” Hayward said. “I just tried to get better through this week, and I think I did.”

That’s the word Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin heard as well after arriving in Vegas on Wednesday to observe Hayward and Favors.

"It doesn’t matter who he’s playing with or against,” Corbin said, “he’s showing his talents more — and that’s what we want."

Thursday’s balanced stat line wasn’t enough to trump the sour feelings from his team’s setback, but Hayward enjoyed his time with USA Basketball. This was his third national experience, having led the country to a gold medal in the U-19 World Championships in New Zealand in 2009 and helping prepare the 2012 Olympic winners in Vegas last July.

What did he gain from this particular week going against Paul George, Chandler Parsons, Klay Thompson et al. and being tutored by U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski & Co.?

“The experience … the whole thing,” he said. “Listening to the coaches, hearing what they have to say. Just playing with these guys is good for me.

“Competing with the best and practicing with the best only makes you better,” he added, “so that aspect of it was great.”

Another great part of Thursday’s game?

Nobody wowed the crowd like Air Force's high-flying Nathaniel "Sgt. Slam" Mills, whose windmill dunk in military gear during a timeout break was the talk of the night. After fans and media buzzed about the slam, senior Airman Nathan Mills told USA Basketball media director Craig Miller, "You should see me without fatigues and boots.”

That’s what Favors might say about having a good back.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
    Explains why Favors looked so bad anyway. His numbers looked better than his play did. He better work out with Karl more it sounds like.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 07-26-2013 at 04:06 AM.

[QUOTE] http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56...-team.html.csp

The remaining 16 NBA teams share three D-League affiliates. While teams with single affiliations hire their coaches, provide support and direct on-court decisions, others like the Jazz have to live with the decisions of their independently owned affiliates.

"There certainly is a breaking point where the system might not work as well for everyone involved," said Dan Reed, the D-League president.

The NBA is moving toward a day when every NBA team has its own affiliate

Tinsley nearly signed with the Brooklyn Nets earlier in the offseason, but the team ultimately decided to go with Shaun Livingston instead, according to sources close to the situation. Now, Tinsley is weighing his options and considering several other teams such as the Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Charlotte Bobcats and Phoenix Suns among others. HoopsWorld

Jody Genessy: Derrick Favors on missing this playing opportunity because of his back injury: "I'm mad as hell." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Marc Stein: Still hard to pinpoint a frontrunner for Mo Williams but hearing Grizzlies are firmly in mix for vet PG who's unexpectedly still available Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

[QUOTE]The Suns now will have 16 guaranteed contracts once they sign top draft pick Alex Len, whose rehabilitation on his ankles remain on target for him to participate in training camp. The Suns could add free agents on non-guaranteed deals for camp but the regular-season roster maximum is 15. The health statuses of Malcolm Lee, acquired to get Archie Goodwin on draft night, and Channing Frye are not settled. Frye missed last season for an enlarged heart but expressed optimism to azcentral sports about being cleared to play after seeking top cardiologists

Looks like Shannon Brown, Gortat , and PJ Tucker would be the guys the Jazz might want with expiring contracts. Gortat might take too much time from the kids. The others might make some sense.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 07-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Looks like Shannon Brown, Gortat , and PJ Tucker would be the guys the Jazz might want with expiring contracts. Gortat might take too much time from the kids. The others might make some sense.
    Gortat could be a decent get if you get a 3rd team involved who's willing to give up another draft pick for him. I wouldn't want him on the Jazz at this point.