Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: So, who here doesn't believe in evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    I think lowly of people who don't believe that evolution is real. I am sorry but it really irks me.
    You shouldn't though. Very few people who agree that evolution is a fact know much about (if anything) the mechanics behind evolution and the evidence for it. Most people have no clue that so many of our medical advances are a direct result of our understand of evolution for instance. They simply accept the theory because they acknowledge the expertise behind the theory, not because they understand what is going on.

If that part of a persons rationale is corrupted from the day they were born it's very hard to break out of it. And especially inherently smart people can go literally insane trying to break out of it, like that Michael Behe guy.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I think one thing that some people don't grasp when it comes to things like evolution is the time frame involved, I've never met someone who denied evolution but on TV when I've seen people struggle with it they don't understand how something can just suddenly change when in reality it happens over a very large time period that is hard for humans to comprehend. Same thing with how it's hard for us to comprehend just how small the time period is that humans have been around for, if our species was wiped out tomorrow we're really just a small footnote in the history of species.
    You do not need geological time scales to observe evolution. Just look at the artifical selection of dogs, evolution of fruit flies, evolution of microorganisms, etc. that have all been observed by humans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    You do not need geological time scales to observe evolution. Just look at the artifical selection of dogs, evolution of fruit flies, evolution of microorganisms, etc. that have all been observed by humans.
    selective breeding isn't really the same concept even if the end result is the same though. Like I'm talking about people saying they don't believe a giraffe somehow grew a longer neck to reach food and therefore it must have been designed by someone that way when in reality it's just a case of that species favouring long neck giraffes over a long time period.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    It depends on the persons expectation. A lot of people just don't seem to grasp what evolution is and want demonstrations of extreme evolution in a short amount of time. Those people will probably never be convinced. I'm sure you've seen the Wendy Wright Richard Dawkins interview, if not prepare to punch your computer screen within the first 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AekFGksvuDU

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

i believe in both evolution & creation, i think the 2 can work together

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by magic chiongson
    I respect that a lot and it's something more Christians need to do.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Yes.

Intelligent design describes a model where certain cellular structures are irreducibly complex. Meaning there was no evolutionary pathway for them to arise, they had to have just appeared. If God is selecting based off of what is already there it is no different to what humans or nature are doing. If God is creating genes and inserting them himself then that would be intelligent design.
    Fair enough

Although I'm sure most have natural selection in mind when using the word...

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

+1

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    I respect that a lot and it's something more Christians need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Fair enough

Although I'm sure most have natural selection in mind when using the word...
    At the end of the day all that evolution is describing is why we have different types of species. It doesn't really matter how those different species arose but why? And the answer is different genes were either allowed or disallowed to propagate over successive generations. Whether selection (allowance or disallowance) came from nature, God, man, or even aliens is irrelevant. All that matters is explaining the underlying mechanism that gives us different species of animals, plants, bacteria etc. Those are the broad strokes at least.

Why do you "evolution heads" always argue over beliefs? Your motive isn't actually understanding someone elses opinion but to try and assert your supposed superiority upon others.
    Last edited by Dictator; 11-12-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Same boat...kinda...

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Why do you "evolution heads" always argue over beliefs? Your motive isn't actually understanding someone elses opinion but to try and assert your supposed superiority upon others.
    It doesn't matter what people believe, but if you are going to debate over the merits of a scientific theory then you need to have a correct understanding of said theory.

If I am going to argue theology and my understanding of say Christianity is completely wrong do you think a Christian would say "OK that is your belief," or would they correct me on where I am going wrong? If I thought that Mark betrayed Judas or Noah built a great fish to save all of the animals should a Christian correct me or just let me believe in something that the bible doesn't describe?

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    It doesn't matter what people believe, but if you are going to debate over the merits of a scientific theory then you need to have a correct understanding of said theory.

If I am going to argue theology and my understanding of say Christianity is completely wrong do you think a Christian would say "OK that is your belief," or would they correct me on where I am going wrong? If I thought that Mark betrayed Judas or Noah built a great fish to save all of the animals should a Christian correct me or just let me believe in something that the bible doesn't describe?
    That logic doesnt fit my dude. Of course an evolutionist can correct an evolutionist and christians can correct christians on christianity. What's the point of an evolutionist trying to change the beliefs of a creationist? Two different topics, let people have their beliefs without trying to make them feel inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    That logic doesnt fit my dude. Of course an evolutionist can correct an evolutionist and christians can correct christians on christianity. What's the point of an evolutionist trying to change the beliefs of a creationist? Two different topics, let people have their beliefs without trying to make them feel inferior.
    It isn't about changing belief it is about changing understanding. I don't believe in Christianity but I think I have a reasonable understanding of it. If I didn't understand a particular aspect of it I would hope that a Christian or someone with more knowledge than I have on the subject would correct me.

That is the whole point of this conversation. Very few if any of us are going to change our positions, we already know that. Some of us have been going back and forth for years on this site. What we gain is possible access to new ideas and modifications to old ones. Our opinions don't change, just out understanding of other peoples opinions.