Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

oldenpolynice has decent reputation
Default Collison Should Stay in School

Last week, there was a lot of hemming and hawing about early draft entries for UCLA standouts Darren Collison and Kevin Love. First, there was a leaked announcement that they would enter. Then, that announcement was frozen by coach Ben Howland.

Love should enter the draft. No question. (Find that guy an agent!)

But Collison, I'm not so sure about. He got eaten alive by Derrick Rose in the game against Memphis and looked out of sorts at times in the tourney. Don't get me wrong, he has identifiable NBA skills. But I'm not so sure he can hang with the physical aspect of the NBA yet. To improve his chances I think he should stay in school, help UCLA win a national title (not such a stretch considering they signed Jrue Holliday) and re-enter in 2009.

Thoughts?

2008 NBA Draft Early Entry Candidates
oldenpolynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Collison Should Stay in School

i agree with you that collison should return to ucla- that may be the ucla fan in me however, as it would be difficult for a player like collison to turn down a first round pick and contract

imo love is not as nba ready as you see him- imo love should return to ucla to make his body over

love's conditioning and body are something another year at ucla could change- love would be top 3 after another year at college- maybe he is better off going 8-15 and being on a better team

love and collison should both return to ucla and become all-time legends- collison starting 4 final 4's and love becoming the next walton or christian laetner
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Collison should definitely stay. He is simply not strong enough for the NBA yet. If he comes into the NBA right now, he will be spending the vast majority of his time on the bench.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
i agree with you that collison should return to ucla- that may be the ucla fan in me however, as it would be difficult for a player like collison to turn down a first round pick and contract.

IMO it is not a given that Collison will be a first round pick. It seems unlikely that he will slip out of the first round, but stranger things have happened.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I think teams that are bubble playoff teams, that need a PG would love him. Those teams (Cavs, Wiz, and Nuggets come to mind) don't need a star, they may not even need a starting PG, they just need a guy that they know will at least give them quality minutes. Collison is not the perfect prospect because of his size, but for 20-25 minutes a game his rookie year he will be a good defender, get some steals, hit some threes, and be solid running the team on offense. His first year I think he is to PG as Luther Head is to SG.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I think teams that are bubble playoff teams, that need a PG would love him. Those teams (Cavs, Wiz, and Nuggets come to mind) don't need a star, they may not even need a starting PG, they just need a guy that they know will at least give them quality minutes. Collison is not the perfect prospect because of his size, but for 20-25 minutes a game his rookie year he will be a good defender, get some steals, hit some threes, and be solid running the team on offense. His first year I think he is to PG as Luther Head is to SG.

Quite impressed with your analogy. The Luther Head comparison is exactly what we can expect if Collison enters this season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: