Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: Who diserves HOF/retired laker#? Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, Vlade Divac or Eddie Jones

no reason to post this picture.....just felt like doing it

Default Re: Who diserves HOF/retired laker#? Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, Vlade Divac or Eddie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    no reason to post this picture.....just felt like doing it

Haha.....that's the Pat Riley I knew!!!! When he first showed up all clean shaven and hair slicked back I was like WTF??? Riles was a hard nosed scrappy guy back then and one of my faves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    You keep asking me questions, man. I'm not rude. I'm not going to ignore you.

My point was never that Norm Nixon wasn't a great player, my point was that he did not averaged close to 20 PPG for his whole career. Not "but this, but that", he didn't do it. Never came close. I never said the guy didn't have an extremely impressive career. My point, really, was that had he actually been a 20 PPG scorer, or close to it, he'd likely be in the HOF already. But he didn't have a 20 PPG career, so he isn't. Big difference between 16 PPG and 20 PPG for a career. That's all I'm saying.

If you do not wish to have my respond again, do not pose a question to me. If you do, I will respond. When people ask me questions, I answer. We're on the same page about Norm Nixon. I just want you to not act like he might as well be considered a 20 PPG guy. That's all. You have acknowledged that now. I'm good.

But as far as Lakers go, I think Bryon Scott should have his number retired before Nixon or the other guys. But I'm not sure if Scott or Nixon will make the HOF. Divac and Jones definitely won't. They'd be in the Hall of Very Good, but not the Hall of Fame.

congrats... you're re*tarded

i've just agreed with you 4 times.. yet you still feel the need to repeat it a 5th time

unf*cking real

godlike

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    norm nixon was the best player of those four, and probably had the best career. he was the starting point guard on two of those 80s laker championship teams (even though magic averaged more assists)

byron was good, but seemed like more a product of the system. the number of wide open jumpers he got because magic or kareem were being double-teamed was ridiculous. pretty one-dimensional player, and his disappearing act in the 91 finals to this day pisses me off
    Nicely said. Another player I think should be in this discussion is Michael Cooper, I would have his number retired before Byron Scott. Norm Nixon was the best player of those listed.

I think people today tend to overrated Scott, he was a one-dimensional player who disappeared in big games, not only in '91 vs Chicago, but he always disappeared vs the Celtics every time LA met them in the Finals, he also played horrible vs Houston in the '86 WCF.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Nicely said. Another player I think should be in this discussion is Michael Cooper, I would have his number retired before Byron Scott. Norm Nixon was the best player of those listed.

I think people today tend to overrated Scott, he was a one-dimensional player who disappeared in big games, not only in '91 vs Chicago, but he always disappeared vs the Celtics every time LA met them in the Finals, he also played horrible vs Houston in the '86 WCF.
    cooper has no shot at HOF though... laker owners said they only retire hall of famers

if cooper got his # retired... theyed have to retire like 20 more guys like fisher, horry etc...

they dont hang up division banners and they dont retire role player #'s.. any laker fan should know this

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    cooper has no shot at HOF though... laker owners said they only retire hall of famers

if cooper got his # retired... theyed have to retire like 20 more guys like fisher, horry etc...

they dont hang up division banners and they dont retire role player #'s.. any laker fan should know this
    Cooper isn't a HOF player, but I would easily retire his number before Scott, Divac, & Jones. LA doesn't have to retire Fisher & Horry's number if they do Cooper's considering Cooper was better than those guys, Fisher & Horry were good role players who were very clutch, Cooper is an all-time great role player.

griff - I'm not going to chime in on most of the guys you mentioned, but Norm Nixon didn't put up 9apg (well really 8.5, but it's close enough) alongside Magic. Magic missed most of the season, and Nixon started the games he missed at PG.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    griff - I'm not going to chime in on most of the guys you mentioned, but Norm Nixon didn't put up 9apg (well really 8.5, but it's close enough) alongside Magic. Magic missed most of the season, and Nixon started the games he missed at PG.
    well really it was 8.8apg

i just checked

and in the playoffs he was the team leader at 8.7apg

and before magic got there he was averaging 11.8apg in the playoffs

and the year after he left he averaged 10+apg for a full season

well really it was 8.8apg

i just checked

and in the playoffs he was the team leader at 8.7apg

and before magic got there he was averaging 11.8apg in the playoffs

and the year after he left he averaged 10+apg for a full season
    sorry, 8.5 was the number I remembered, just checked and you're right

I was just trying to say that 9 is a very difficult number to approach alongside a guy like Magic, even though the game was faster played

on topic, I think at least he and Scott would be retired on most other teams, but this is LA we're talking about...there are much higher standards

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Cooper isn't a HOF player, but I would easily retire his number before Scott, Divac, & Jones. LA doesn't have to retire Fisher & Horry's number if they do Cooper's considering Cooper was better than those guys, Fisher & Horry were good role players who were very clutch, Cooper is an all-time great role player.

he is the best role player in laker history... but if you let in one role player non hall of famer... you have to let them all in... all the guys who contributed large towards titles

i admit cooper was mainly a defensive player and maybe should get some recognition for it... i say if ben wallace makes the HOF... cooper should too

rodman made it with defense but he grabbed legendary rebounds to go with his defense

we'l see.... this just shows you how easy magic had it back in the day..

kareem putting up 27/15
    worthy putting up 20-25ppg
    wilkes putting up 20ppg
    nixon putting up 17/8
    cooper the defensive player of the year. allot of 1st team all d's
    mcadoo coming in at the end of his career to contribute 15ppg
    scott putting up 20ppg at times

all these guys are either hall of famers, or should be hall of famers

he is the best role player in laker history... but if you let in one role player non hall of famer... you have to let them all in... all the guys who contributed large towards titles

i admit cooper was mainly a defensive player and maybe should get some recognition for it... i say if ben wallace makes the HOF... cooper should too

rodman made it with defense but he grabbed legendary rebounds to go with his defense

kareem putting up 27/15
    wilkes putting up 20ppg
    nixon putting up 17/8

ehhhh, we'll have to agree to disagree

Magic is one of three guys in my book who has a case for #1 all-time (with Jordan and Russell)

kareem putting up 27/15
    wilkes putting up 20ppg
    nixon putting up 17/8

I'm not arguing that Cooper should have his number retired or that he should be in the HOF. All I'm saying is that I would have his jersey retired before Scott, Divac, & Jones.

Byron Scott - Not even close to being HOF material. One-dimensional player who choked in big games. You always saw Cooper on the floor when the game was on the line instead of Scott.

Vlade Divac - What did we win when he was our starting 5? Never even made an All-Star team when he was in LA.

Eddie Jones - Lakers isn't the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear his name. Shouldn't even be mentioned.

Banned

Vlade Dadde of course!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Not one of these players is a HOFer.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 07-27-2012 at 08:40 PM.

all boarderline hall of famers..

all big time lakers for a while...

Jamaal Wilkes just got into the hall of fame in 2012 and will have his number 52 retired by the lakers in the upcoming season.

who will be next?

one of these guys... or Shaq in another 4 years
    Byron Scott "diserves" to be in the HOF