Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The Art of the Windmill Dunk

veence cartar pls

[COLOR="Wheat"]fak u dolan[/COLOR]

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Not sure if he's the greatest windmiller of all time, but this is certainly the greatest windmill dunk of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnHkEaxFyY

And this pic *not sure where it's from* is ridiculous.

70p game: DBook-1 MJ-0 livingby3's's Avatar

yes after VC, it's Jrich. their creativity is atop the rest. Griffin don't come close to those 2.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Nah, Dominique Wilkins was the windmill GOAT... dude innovated that dunk aswell, they should retire that text "windmill" next to his jersey
    His windmill was dope. His two handed windmill sick. Yes.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    That retro slam dunk contest where he had to replicate Nique's windmill was spot on.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    Show J-Rich some love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYz-_AsTASY

After watching these videos, I think one important part that is overlooked is the precise moment that you dunk the ball in. If you are already on the way down and you dunk it while your arm is straight up, it doesn't look at good because it seems like you haven't done the whole motion. It's more like a semi-circle because you have to throw it down once you bring your arms above your head.

However, if you can get up really high, you can do a really full circular if you dunk it basically while the rim is head-level. You get to complete it by swinging your arms down in front of you. I think that is why VC's look so impressive.

NBA Superstar

A specific Vince Carter windmill I wanted to point out. I always liked this one because it almost seemed as if he finishes while still on his way upward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbbYtaolm2A#t=0m45s

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Not sure if he's the greatest windmiller of all time, but this is certainly the greatest windmill dunk of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnHkEaxFyY
    I respectfully disagree. What I personally look for in my windmills is extension and rotation. Jordan is lacking on both in this instance. With that said, it's a great dunk, I'm just not sure if "windmill" should be the umbrella it falls under through and through. His takeoff and the manner with which he leans sideways seems to make it a hybrid tomahawk. I mean, windmill elements are there, but those elements don't seem to be the appeal of that dunk.

On the flip side, Vince Carter also produced a hybrid during the 2000 dunk contests, but it seems clear the full windmill extension and rotation were still primary features to the dunk itself (i.e. no breaking at the elbow, no sideways lean and arm twirl in the upper torso): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QtljAdtwgQ
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-29-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    A specific Vince Carter windmill I wanted to point out. I always liked this one because it almost seemed as if he finishes while still on his way upward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbbYtaolm2A#t=0m45s
    Exactly what I mean, by getting up higher, you have the chance to swing your arms in front of you and complete and full circular

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

So the general consensus in this thread is that Vince is the beat dunker to ever live and it will remain like that forever. It's sad that during VC's time we would see a 360 and windmill once a week. Now I think we had only four windmills combined last year in the NBA.

Can't forget that we will never see another " dunk over 7 footer" replicated in our lifetime.

Banned

all you need to know aboutwindmills is vince carter

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    So the general consensus in this thread is that Vince is the beat dunker to ever live and it will remain like that forever. It's sad that during VC's time we would see a 360 and windmill once a week. Now I think we had only four windmills combined last year in the NBA.

Can't forget that we will never see another " dunk over 7 footer" replicated in our lifetime.
    I don't think Vince Carter will be the best dunker forever. There's always someone else. The rarity with which these true dunking revolutionaries come about is what makes them so special in the first place.

Vince Carter was as great a dunker as he was in large part due to the dunkers who came before him. Carter was then able to take what others had pioneered before and add his own twists (not to mention his own refinement). Similarly, I believe someone at some point will come into the NBA who will have had the benefit of feeding off not only the Ervings, Jordans, and Wilkins, but also the Carters and Griffins.

Essentially, I think the best of the best tend to utilize the sort of dunking styles that come before them while also adding on a little bit of their own style. In Carter's case, he absorbed and refined the windmills and 360s of years past while adding on the clockwise 360 windmill, the alley oop windmill, and the elbow dunk. As such, I think future generations are going to feature more and more players who will be able to execute all of those dunks, just perhaps not at the same level as Carter (similar to how plenty of players began windmilling in the 90's and dunking from the free throw line, just not at the level of the Jordans and Wilkins). In my opinion, the next greatest dunker of all time will be the guy who will be able to equal the grace of such finishes while also adding to the next level of dunking. This will be no small task, but I do believe it's inevitable.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Sprewell, while known more for his 2-handed dunks, had some pretty nice windmill dunks too, and was a hell of a dunker overall. He attacked the rim with a ferocity not seen from very many other players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5QsRENi4Mk
    Bolded part I agree very much. Today's dunker's are all about g4yness and finesse but Spree wanted to kill that rim! Only guy I ever saw attack the rim like that was Rasheed in his POR days.