Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hume>Kunt.

Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    once again the fiction book loses against logic and fact

"please stop pointing out that my belief system makes no sense.... i cant handle the truth"
    What logic? You would like people to use your written work as shit rags. Seeing your posts, it would be necessarily a shit rag.
    You're on the little hook that it's fiction. It doesn't matter if it's "obsolete fiction" There is plenty of archaeological, historical, and sociological value and insights that you can get from the Bible and its use in history. Continue to be douche because of your disdain for people who have different beliefs than you.

Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote Originally Posted by Jello
    There is plenty of archaeological, historical, and sociological value and insights that you can get from the Bible and its use in history. Continue to be douche because of your disdain for people who have different beliefs than you.
    Theres at the very least a million books that can claim the same thing, what makes this one special?

Hume>Kunt.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Because the overall process of picking and choosing is influenced by social and literary sources outside of the bible.
    It's a man made literary work that is open to interpretation. I still don't see how society influencing what parts people choose to believe means the Bible isn't a core source of their beliefs.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees".
    Last edited by maybeshewill13; 12-26-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Hume>Kunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kews1
    Theres at the very least a million books that can claim the same thing, what makes this one special?
    Because there is over 6 billion copies worldwide?
    Because it was used as tool for political power and gives sociological insight?
    Because it is the basis of a religion that has almost 2 billion self proclaimed believers?
    Because it has been a significant source for archaeology and descriptions from Biblical text has been used to help discover ancient cities?
    Because it has historically corresponding events with early historians?

Because there is over 6 billion copies worldwide?
    Because it was used as tool for political power and gives sociological insight?
    Because it is the basis of a religion that has almost 2 billion self proclaimed believers?
    Because it has been a significant source for archaeology and descriptions from Biblical text has been used to help discover ancient cities?
    Because it has historically corresponding events with early historians?
    None of those things essentially mean jack shit or are fundamentally false.

its not a popularity contest the amount of sales hardly influences its validity or greatness,

It has also been used as a tool for evil, political schemes and oppression.

An almost unquestioned basis whereby people are brainwashed as children and no decisions are made based on fact by them when they are capable adults, if you are told that it is true by your parents, teachers, preachers and church when you are young you will inevitable believe it, at least untill you do the research yourself and make an informed decision - which almost nobody does, people are shocked when the realize how flawed it is.

Like what? What places have been found that would not have been found without guidance from the bible and what about the many places revealed in the bible have never been found - Where is the Garden of Eden? Where is Lazarus Tomb? Where is Jesus' Tomb? - And what about the fact that these ancient cities you claim the bible help to find have maintained their names since the time of the writing of the bible, how hard is it to find if it has been called the same thing for 2000 years? What about the numerous cities named in the bible that have never been found?

I dont even know what the **** your last thing means

Your a ****ing half-wit, GTFOH

Hume>Kunt.

None of those things essentially mean jack shit or are fundamentally false.
    What? It does have value in a wide range of subjects.

its not a popularity contest the amount of sales hardly influences its validity or greatness,
    That's why it has its value in sociology. 2 billion people still believing in Christianity is not a worthy phenomenon to study?
    It has also been used as a tool for evil, political schemes and oppression.
    Um yeah. That's why its important to study how it was used historically and sociologically.

An almost unquestioned basis whereby people are brainwashed as children and no decisions are made based on fact by them when they are capable adults, if you are told that it is true by your parents, teachers, preachers and church when you are young you will inevitable believe it, at least untill you do the research yourself and make an informed decision - which almost nobody does, people are shocked when the realize how flawed it is.
    This has nothing to do with the post you responded too.
    Like what? What places have been found that would not have been found without guidance from the bible and what about the many places revealed in the bible have never been found - Where is the Garden of Eden? Where is Lazarus Tomb? Where is Jesus' Tomb? - And what about the fact that these ancient cities you claim the bible help to find have maintained their names since the time of the writing of the bible, how hard is it to find if it has been called the same thing for 2000 years? What about the numerous cities named in the bible that have never been found?
    I never said that the Bible is an infallible source of archaeology. Archaeologists use literary works like the Bible and Illead to look for clues to pick a site to excavate. Do they excavate with no reference?

I dont even know what the **** your last thing means

Your a ****ing half-wit, GTFOH
    It's because you're the halfwit. It's basically saying that the Bible has some historical value. Your post reads like you think I'm arguing for the Bible as infallible and that I believe in it. If you do think that, you made a horrible assumption. If you want my opinion, the Bible and religion are man made social phenomena and they need to be studied to get an accurate picture of the ancient world.

Poor reply, bad job, bad effort

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    Its good if you like fables and fairytales and such.
    Didnt have to scroll far.

The bible is a great book with many lessons that a lot of people could learn from and apply to their lives.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

No that Zeitgeist BS again. A bunch of BS made up by a 19th century poet named Gerald Massey. No respected historian in the world claim those "facts" about those deities.

Read it and learn http://conspiracies.skepticproject.c...geist/part-one An article ((with all the references) made by a non christian debunking all that BS.

Even militant atheists like historian Richard Carrier and those guys from the Atheist Experience show think Zeitgeist is BS.

Example: Horus wasn't born of a virgin, on the 25th dec, a teacher at 12, he wasn't crucified, he did not ressurect, he wasn't know as the Light, God's sheperd. There were no star in the east, no 12 disciples. It's all made up by Gerald Massey (lamer in history).

From wikipedia:

Claimed parallels between Horus and Jesus

One of the more sensational aspects of Massey's writings were the parallels he drew between the Christian god Jesus of Nazareth and the Egyptian god Horus. These comparisons are primarily contained in his book The Natural Genesis. Massey's writings on this subject have influenced various later authors such as Alvin Boyd Kuhn, Tom Harpur, and Acharya S.[5]

Some of the similarities that Massey claimed existed are that they both

Were born of virgins on December 25
    Taught in a temple as a child at age 12
    Were teachers who had 12 Disciples
    Were baptized in a river
    Gave a sermon on the mount
    Healed the sick
    Raised men from the dead (El-Asar-Us for Horus, Lazarus for Jesus)
    Died by crucifixion
    Were resurrected three days later.[6]

Criticism from scholars

W. Ward Gasque, a Ph.D from Harvard and Manchester University conducted an international poll of twenty Egyptologists - including Professor Kenneth Kitchen of the University of Liverpool and Ron Leprohan, Professor of Egyptology at the University of Toronto - in Canada, US, UK, Australia, Germany, and Austria to verify academic support for these claims. The scholars were unanimous in dismissing the claims
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Massey
    Last edited by lakers_forever; 12-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

It's a man made literary work that is open to interpretation. I still don't see how society influencing what parts people choose to believe means the Bible isn't a core source of their beliefs.
    If you can't even abstractly understand what I am saying then I probably can't help you. There is a difference between understanding and accepting. I honestly don't understand how you cannot understand my point (well I can hazard a guess and say you are either ignorant, delusional, or operating in a massive effort of cognitive dissonance).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    A bunch of BS made up by...

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Nothing against Christians though, except when they tell me I'm going to hell
    You're going to a special layer of hell where Jurassic Park plays on a loop for all eternity

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    I'm always surprised by the amount of people here who have read the bible. I've never known anyone who has. I tried opening it up once, shit was unreadable.

Nothing against Christians though, except when they tell me I'm going to hell
    You're reading the wrong Bible, my friend.

Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy; for I am the Lord your God. Keep my statutes, and observe them; I am the Lord; I sanctify you.
    All who curse father or mother shall be put to death; having cursed father or mother, their blood is upon them.

If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbour, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death. The man who lies with his father's wife has uncovered his father's nakedness; both of them shall be put to death; their blood is upon them.

If a man lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall be put to death; they have committed perversion; their blood is upon them.

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them. [Leviticus, chapter 20]

When you buy a male Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years, but in the seventh he shall go out a free person, without debt. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s and he shall go out alone. But if the slave declares, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out a free person’, then his master shall bring him before God. He shall be brought to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.
    When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed; he shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt unfairly with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her as with a daughter. If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish the food, clothing, or marital rights of the first wife. And if he does not do these three things for her, she shall go out without debt, without payment of money.

Whoever strikes a person mortally shall be put to death. If it was not premeditated, but came about by an act of God, then I will appoint for you a place to which the killer may flee. But if someone wilfully attacks and kills another by treachery, you shall take the killer from my altar for execution.

Whoever strikes father or mother shall be put to death.

Whoever kidnaps a person, whether that person has been sold or is still held in possession, shall be put to death. Whoever curses father or mother shall be put to death.

When individuals quarrel and one strikes the other with a stone or fist so that the injured party, though not dead, is confined to bed, but recovers and walks around outside with the help of a staff, then the assailant shall be free of liability, except to pay for the loss of time, and to arrange for full recovery.

When a slave-owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives for a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner’s property. [Exodus, chapter 21] God is good.... Praise be to him