Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Tyler Hansborough vs Christian Laetnner

Try and disassociate thier NBA potential with your reasoning. Just solely thier performance, production with thier respective schools. 2 questions.

1. Who was the better college player
2. Who would u take regardless of #1
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Grinder

Default Re: Tyler Hansborough vs Christian Laetnner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Try and disassociate thier NBA potential with your reasoning. Just solely thier performance, production with thier respective schools. 2 questions.

1. Hansbrough - slightly
2. Laettner - much more skilled and had the ability to stretch opposing bigs and spread the floor. He was a very solid NBA player - there's a lot of doubts as to whether Hansbrough can do that.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

I don't know what the second question even means. Who would I take as an NBA player regardless of how good they were in college? Laettner. I don't ever see Hansbrough averaging 18-19 points a game or making an All-Star team.

Considering that "disassociate" means "to remove from association," I'd be happy to do that. Because Hansbrough's NBA potential has nothing to do with Christian Laettner. They're completely different players. As in, there's almost nothing similar about their games.

Laettner was a better all-around player, two or three inches taller, and simply more skilled across the board. That's why he was a pretty good NBA player and why Hansbrough will likely be a role player- albeit a good role player- at most. Hansbrough is almost his equal as a college player because he's more athletic, stronger and relentlessly aggresive.

If you're talking about NBA potential, I'm not sure why you're comparing him to a 6'11" guy who came out of college 17 years ago who has a completely different skill set. I'd compare him to someone like Carl Landry, Leon Powe or possibly Udonis Haslem as a future pro.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 12-15-2008 at 11:08 AM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

I'm not making it more difficult, you wording was muddled. If you'd said "Disassociate their NBA potential from your reasoning," that would've been different.

And I still take Laettner in any case.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Not being ****, your wording completely changed the meaning of the sentence and made it look like you were misusing the word "disassociate."

Laettner/Hansbrough would be a tremendously entertaining matchup: two viciously competitive players who play two very different styles. Laettner's versatility and the fact that he was the best player on back-to-back national champions wins out. (The fact that he was the best player on championship teams alone doesn't make him better, because I'd take Hansbrough over anyone from the '06/'07 Florida teams.)
Old 12-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
liverpooty
Local High School Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4

Laettner, by far.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

I'll take Laettner. Two titles as the center-piece, plus he just has the best March Madness moment in history.

Something to chew on though, Hansbrough is 9 points away from being the all time scoring leader at UNC. Tyler Hansbrough. That just seem so odd to me, the kid is just such a goofball.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
Interminator
Banned

I'd rather have Christian Laettner over Hansbrough.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I'll take Laettner. Two titles as the center-piece, plus he just has the best March Madness moment in history.

Something to chew on though, Hansbrough is 9 points away from being the all time scoring leader at UNC. Tyler Hansbrough. That just seem so odd to me, the kid is just such a goofball.

True, but even odder is that the reason people find that amazing is because of the list of names of it's alumni who aren't the guy he's passing, Phil Ford. In twenty years if you poll the general public on who the top two basketball scorers are in UNC men's basketball, you're not going to get Tyler Hansborough and Phil Ford.

Laetner was the better college player, albeit not by much. And he was a much better prospect, and will almost certainly have had a much better NBA career.
Although, due to Laetner's extremely high expectations because of what a college career meant at that time, and because of Hansborough's lack of expectations because of what a college career means today, Laetner was always considered a disappointment, and Hansborough will probably be considered a pleasant surprise in a few years.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Even more mind-boggling, all time scoring champ at UNC puts you just 10th in ACC history.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: