Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Default Braggin' Rights. Again. This is getting boring.

At what point does Mizzou back out of the series?

(About the same time Illinois cancels the football series?)

I hope no time soon. I mean, didn't they know the last couple years was their only shot to beat us? It sure as hell isn't gonna happen with the reinforcements of the '09, '10 and '11 classes over the next few years. This streak looks like it could run to 12, 13, 14 in a row at least.

(For that matter, Illinois is on quite the run of dominance against state universities that start with "M." Nine straight against Mizzou, 20 (!) straight against Minnesota, 11 of 14 against Michigan.)

Hell of a game from the allegedly unimproved (alleged by silly-ass members of this forum that were very much incorrect) Trent Meacham. I thought it was going to be a game where he didn't match up well, but he lit it up.

Also impressive were the Mikes. I figured this would be Davis' type of game- full-court, up-tempo, but a very impressive performance by Tisdale in a matchup that didn't seem to favor him, based on his skillset and how he played against a similar Clemson team. He's been up and down, but he's shown some real growth in his game already over the course of the early season. It's good to see.

D-Mac remains the best player in America over the course of the first eight minutes of a game: 13 points before the second TV timeout tonight; 13 against Georgia; 10 against Clemson; 5 against Vanderbilt. Think about that for a minute; that's 41 points, on 16-of-21 shooting, in the first 32 minutes in Illinois' four games against major-conference opponents. The kid shows up when the lights are on. He may still be a little immature, float a little bit at times, and butt heads with Weber, but he's a big-time player.

I think Missouri is a tournament-quality team that suffered from two things tonight: one, I think it was a mistake by Mike Anderson to downplay the significance of this game. Two, they just shot poorly. We played our typically tight halfcourt man-to-man, but they simply missed a bunch of good looks. It happens.

So I still don't have a real good read on how good Illinois is since our nonconference hasn't been as quality as it may have appeared on paper (which wasn't a barnburner to begin with), but I think we have a legit case to be ranked at this point. It's an enjoyable team to watch and it'll be an interesting season in what looks like a loaded Big Ten.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: