Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 06-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
TheGreatNumber8
Banned

Default What do you guys think of Brandon Roy?

Will he be roy?
TheGreatNumber8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
AKADS
National High School Star

Yes. I hope he gets a chance to play.

He has everything he needs to be a very good NBA player.

he does need to extend hi range though
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i can't shake this preconception that he's not athletic enough and a bit limited, but everytime i watch him, i come away impressed.

the key thing is he has the determination to play hard all the time. should be a pretty good starting 2 guard in the future for whatever team drafts him.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

ROY?

ROY stands for Ronnie Brewer.

Know the name.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

hahaha....still dillusional.

well i got about 10 months to find a good avatar for you.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
fatboy11

I'm no more delusional than you are or anyone else for that matter.

No one knows who will be ROY. Me picking a lottery pick makes me delusional?

Guess I'm delusional. I'll be a genius though when Ronnie does win the award.

I've struck out the past two years I've been on this board (Iguodala and Bogut) so the third time is a charm.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #7
dak121
College star

Roy = Rich man's Ronnie Brewer

He's the best player in the draft.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Roy = Rich man's Ronnie Brewer

He's the best player in the draft.
Ronnie is a year younger as well. Don't forget that.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
traditionone
I rule the local playground

Roy is a better shooter than Ronnie Brewer is. He also has the potential to be a very good defender. He possesses the all-around game I like to see in rookies. In a draft that lacks star power, he could be the ROY if he's on the floor enough.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
fatboy11

Ronnie has the potential to be everything that you just said Brandon Roy can be, but he isn't quite as good of a shooter.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
dak121
College star

Yes Brewer has the potential to be as good as Roy in some aspects but I just can't see him ever being as good a shooter. Living in SEC country I've seen quite a few games of Brewer's this past season and my opinion is that

1) He's a shooting guard, NOT a combo guard. People that say he can play both positions couldn't be more wrong.

2) He has little to no range on his jumpshot. His college 3 pt. percentage is 33. That is mediocre for a college player, even worse for a pro. And his free throw percentage is also a pedestrian 75. Roy's percentages on the other hand are 40 from the 3 and 81 from the line. That translates well for the pros.

3) He is an athletic slasher that can get to the free throw line frequently BUT Roy can do it also. Except Roy makes his more often.

4) Defensively he's a gambler like Larry Hughes. Which is a good or bad thing depending on what kind of defender a coach prefers. Roy's numbers may not look gaudy in terms of steals but he stays in front of his man, which is good enough for me.

There really isn't a HUGE difference between the 2 players. But Roy's percieved weakness (lack of freakish athleticism) isn't nearly as bad as Brewer's.(a broke jumpshot) Also measure in Roy's performance when the games counted most compared to Brewer's (NCAA tournament) and it's a no-brainer.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #12
fatboy11

Quote:
Living in SEC country I've seen quite a few games of Brewer's this past season
Well, living in Arkansas, I saw ALL of Ronnie Brewer's games the past 3 years.

Quote:
1) He's a shooting guard, NOT a combo guard. People that say he can play both positions couldn't be more wrong.
No, you are wrong. He can play shooting guard, point guard, and small forward. He would have averaged 6 assists a game this season easily if his teammates could just convert simple passes.

Quote:
2) He has little to no range on his jumpshot. His college 3 pt. percentage is 33. That is mediocre for a college player, even worse for a pro.
Shot 39% as a junior from 3. He had defenses keyed up on him all year this year. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Quote:
4) Defensively he's a gambler like Larry Hughes. Which is a good or bad thing depending on what kind of defender a coach prefers. Roy's numbers may not look gaudy in terms of steals but he stays in front of his man, which is good enough for me
You are right about this. While I think Ronnie has the potential to become an outstanding defender at the next level, I would have to say that, as it stands right now, defense is definitely the most overrated aspect of his game. He does gamble a lot.

Like I said though, Ronnie is a year younger and never had the benefit of playing with the veteran Washington teams that Roy did in years past. Ronnie has almost been the man since he came here whereas Brandon had guys like Will Conroy, Nate Robinson, Tre Simmons, Jensen, Rollins, etc. there with him during most of his career.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
BeckDiggLer
I usually hit open layups

Roy seems to be a bit overrated as the draft approaches, I read the Bulls what him at no.2, I think he is good but # 2. He is not at Thomas, Gay or Morrison or S.Williams level

S.Williams is the guy everybody is forgeting about, is he this years Carlos Boozier?
BeckDiggLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #14
insidehoops
Administrator

Shelden Williams is projected to go late lottery or mid first round, he's not forgotten
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
BeckDiggLer
I usually hit open layups

He is left out of the big six in this draft, he is just as good or better than Aldridge, Thomas and Bargani how are these guys rated ahead of him, I'm a world class Dukie hater and even I see this as an injustice. If he slips pass Houston at 8 something is wrong with the NBA's scouting process.
BeckDiggLer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: