Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
If he slips pass Houston at 8 something is wrong with the NBA's scouting process.
True dat, brotha.

And just for the record, I do think Brandon Roy is better than Ronnie Brewer. I have said on numerous occasions that I would take Roy over Brewer if both were available (and Shelden Williams over Ronnie as well). I'm just sticking up for Ronnie because I think people are hating on him too much on the shot thing. I think it's something they've read Chad Ford or whoever write about and they've bought into it. He's not a bad shooter and his FG% would be a lot higher (and by that I mean on jump shots) if his teammates could make opposing defenses pay (especially big man Darian Townes).

Like I said, he shot 39% from 3 his sophomore year and then everyone found out about him. Teams realized that Ronnie was going to be the only one who could make them pay. That is why I would also put his leadership above that of Roy because Ronnie, although we lost in the first round, led an otherwise subpar team (based on performance, not talent) to the tournament with pretty much the same roster they had in previous, non-tournament years.

Last edited by fatboy11 : 06-07-2006 at 01:14 PM.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
dak121
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Well, living in Arkansas, I saw ALL of Ronnie Brewer's games the past 3 years.

No, you are wrong. He can play shooting guard, point guard, and small forward. He would have averaged 6 assists a game this season easily if his teammates could just convert simple passes.

A lot of guys could have better assist numbers if their teammates could make more shots. Kirk Hinrich could've average around 10-11 a night if guys not named Gordon could make more open shots consistently.

Quote:
Shot 39% as a junior from 3. He had defenses keyed up on him all year this year. I wouldn't read too much into that.

This page says 33.

Yahoo isn't always accurate but that's where I got 33 from.

Quote:
Like I said though, Ronnie is a year younger and never had the benefit of playing with the veteran Washington teams that Roy did in years past. Ronnie has almost been the man since he came here whereas Brandon had guys like Will Conroy, Nate Robinson, Tre Simmons, Jensen, Rollins, etc. there with him during most of his career.

Roy has had the better group of teammates the past few seasons (even though Arkansas has had one of the most talented teams in an SEC that had 2 Final Four participants this past season) it still doesn't change the fact that Roy has shown up when it counted most, putting up great all-around numbers against quality competition like Illinois and Connecticutt. Brewer put up a pedestrian performance against Bucknell and his team paid for it dearly.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #18
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I like Roy a lot. Next to Dee, Lowry, and Cedric Simmons, I think he's in my top 5 favorite players in this draft...That said, I think a lot of people are overrating him and expecting him to be far better than he might produce his rookie year.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #19
fatboy11

Quote:
Yahoo isn't always accurate but that's where I got 33 from.
That's my bad. I meant his sophomore year.

Quote:
A lot of guys could have better assist numbers if their teammates could make more shots. Kirk Hinrich could've average around 10-11 a night if guys not named Gordon could make more open shots consistently.
I don't think you really watched many Arkansas games or you would know exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Brewer put up a pedestrian performance against Bucknell and his team paid for it dearly.
Where were you during our late season 6 game win streak? The one where Ronnie stepped up and led us to wins over Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee (their first loss at home all year).

He did have a bad game in the tournament, but he played much better than EVERYONE on the roster (Modica scored more, but didn't do anything else).
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #20
BlackManWitHops
Banned

Default Re: What do you guys think of Brandon Roy?

wut do u guys think of him now?
BlackManWitHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #21
Da KO King

The thing I find the funniest about Brandon Roy is the first two games I seen him play were against a man to man defensive teams with small backcourts. Roy spent most of both games playing from the post. After seeing that my initial thought was a Bonzi Wells-type "power" SG.

In the NBA though I've really seen him get a post touch.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #22
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckDiggLer
Roy seems to be a bit overrated as the draft approaches, I read the Bulls what him at no.2, I think he is good but # 2. He is not at Thomas, Gay or Morrison or S.Williams level

S.Williams is the guy everybody is forgeting about, is he this years Carlos Boozier?
Classic.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #23
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
The thing I find the funniest about Brandon Roy is the first two games I seen him play were against a man to man defensive teams with small backcourts. Roy spent most of both games playing from the post. After seeing that my initial thought was a Bonzi Wells-type "power" SG.

In the NBA though I've really seen him get a post touch.
I was hosting a sports radio show at the time of the draft and got the majority of callers pissed off at me because I wouldn't shut up about Roy (they mostly disagreed with me about not seeing anyone else being rookie of the year and that the Bobcats were dumb not to take him even though they needed a shooting guard). Good times.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: