Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 09-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #1201
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Default Re: The 2017 off-season...Hayward, Hill, Ingles...?

https://thejnotes.com/2017/09/16/sho...f-george-hill/

Quote:
After losing out on George Hill after one meager year, itís hard to wonder what might have been if the Utah Jazz had instead traded directly for Jeff Teague.

losing out means letting a guy walk?

Quote:
there certainly is an argument that the Jazz actually lucked out and will be better off with Ricky Rubio instead of Hill

can argue it all you want. Hill fit perfectly. Rubio doesn't

Quote:
Rubio actually landed higher on Sports Illustratedís list of Top 100 NBA Players than Hill did. Therefore, pinning Rubio as a more valuable player isnít a stretch in the least.

Sure it is. Put Rubio on a team with 4 shooters around him he might thrive. That's not the case here

Quote:
should the Utah Jazz have simply traded straight up for Jeff Teague instead of George Hill

Not as good of a fit but better than Rubio for sure. Would he have stayed? There was plenty of reason to think Hill would

Quote:
if Teague had found success in Utah, the Jazz may have been able to get him to stay and perhaps even at a reasonable rate.

but not as reasonable as Ricky. That's what it all came down to for the Jazz as usual despite their big talk of spending
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #1202
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Rudy Gobert: Congrats to coach Igor for helping Slovenia win Eurobasket. Great work 👍🏽! Ė via Twitter rudygobert27
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #1203
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
You have been part of the NBA for 17 years, you are the first European coach to achieve many milestones in your career in the States. However, this tournament with Slovenia can be called your biggest success? Igor Kokoskov: ďI think so because itís different when you are part of a team, part of the stuff and itís different when you are coaching your own team. And that was one of the reasons that I took the job to coach in FIBA basketball. To have the opportunity to coach my own team, to make my own mistakes and to grow as a coach. In 2007 I got an invitation from Georgian basketball federation and they offered me a job. I wasnít sure that it was a good idea, I didnít know if I should do that or wait. I was also working as an assistant coach in the Serbian national team and Joe Dumars, the Pistons coach at the time, told me that if you want to grow as a coach, if you want to get better, you have to coach your own team. At that time I was also single, I didnít have a family and using the summers to work was an available choice and a wise decision for me. Ė via EuroHoops.net

After this Eurobasket success, do you think that you will be the first European head coach in the NBA? Igor Kokoskov: ďItís hard to tell, itís hard to predict. Thatís something that you donít control. You control your progression, you control your life. A lot of things have an impact on that decision. Itís the trust that the owner has to have in you in order to be a head coach. Itís really complicated and I think that there are many good international coaches who have the knowledge and the experience to work in the NBA. However, itís a different market. I donít think that an NBA owner will have the courage to hire someone that he doesnít know. One that does not have an experience in that market. Thatís the other reason why I keep myself close to the European market, in order to get more experience, but I also stay in the NBA and I wish, even if itís something that I donít control. Ė via EuroHoops.net

I imagine this will help him get interviews next summer at least
Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #1204
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
Rudy GobertĎs extension with the Jazz, which goes into effect this year, pays him an extra $1MM if heís named to the All-Star team (not as a replacement), plus an extra $750K for making an All-Defensive team and meeting certain rebounding criteria. Another unusual incentive in Gobertís deal? He makes an extra $250K if his defensive rating is below 100. Ė via Hoops Rumors

looks like he'll get a million. Afraid the all-star team will be tough on a crappy team
Old 09-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #1205
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/9/18/16...fseason-brazil

Quote:
Netoís current contract is non-guaranteed, so his roster spot may be at risk. Personally, I think he adds enough to warrant a spot going forward. He's a solid passer and a scrappy defender. Letís also not forget where he may have his most value: his relationship with Rudy Gobert.

He's at least the 2nd best pg on the team until someone proves otherwise
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #1206
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/09/17/uta...ge-hill-trade/

Quote:
While Hillís season turned into a frustrating struggle, Prince had an incredible rookie campaign.

Incredible? We don't know who the Jazz would have picked if they'd kept it

Quote:
If Hill had never been traded to the Jazz, Dante Exum likely would have returned to the starting lineup.

Mack and Neto were better. Hard to imagine Exum starting.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #1207
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/9/18/16...17-rule-change

Quote:
David Locke had a theory that I agree with in principle, that teams should simply cut minutes of players in certain games to rest them, rather than taking them out of games entirely. While this makes sense, it is something the players do not want whatsoever. Playing less minutes means that a player will naturally have worse looking stats, and that could impact their next pay check. That makes this suggestion basically unrealistic, and I doubt it is the solution that will make everybody happy.

That's why they have per 36 stats. If guys produce people will pay them

Quote:
Going along with the topic of rule changes, there has been talk of possibly allowing teams to draft players directly from high school once again.

Great! Once everyone has their own G-league team(hopefully next season) I see no reason why they shouldn't. It's time for kids to play in the minors until they prove they are NBA players. Would have helped Exum, Burke, Hood, etc.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #1208
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/09/18/uta...ember-2017/11/

Quote:
Donovan Mitchell has visions of Dwyane Wade dancing in fansí heads (fairly or not), Ricky Rubio is probably a fringe All-Star

Quote:
The big question marks with Utah are whether or not Rodney Hood can be the go-to guy on offense, if Derrick Favors and Alec Burks have anything left in the tank and what Dante Exum can do with more run. If some of these things go their way (and they stay healthy, for once) a lot of people are going to be surprised by the Jazz.

There's no question Hood is a 6th man not a go to guy

A lot of Jazz fans apparently will be surprised when the Jazz suck!
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #1209
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/18/1...deandre-jordan

Quote:
87. Donovan Mitchell
TIM CATO: As frequently and liberally as we picked from these 2017 rookies (FORESHADOWING!), Iím surprised Mitchell didnít get snapped up earlier than this. He was a steals machine in Louisville who thrived shooting tons of threes and has a bit of an inside game, too. Heís a more athletic Damian Lillard if he hits his peak, albeit maybe without quite the same scoring knack. He showed all those skills off in summer league, and it really looks like Utah has their point guard of the future here.

87 would be pretty disappointing in 4 years. I'm sure they'd love for him to be the pg but that remains to be seen as well
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #1210
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...on-begins.html

Quote:
Quin Snyder will have to cut at least one of his players

Not necessarily cut. Some teams have roster spots

Quote:
the Jazz signed a number of role players to multi-year contracts this offseason, including Thabo Sefolosha, Ekpe Udoh and Jonas Jerebko. While their roster spots are secure with the Jazz

Probably but they have shown the willingness to eat money in recent years so being ona one year deal could make you vunerable

Quote:
Raul Neto, swingman Royce OíNeale and big man Joel Bolomboy are all on the cusp of making the team.

Based on how the teamís structured, one of the aforementioned players ó unless, again, an unexpected move occurs ó wonít be on Utahís roster come Oct. 18 when the Jazz start the season against the Denver Nuggets.

Can't see Neto being cut. I could see him being dealt but until Exum and/or Mitchell prove they can play pg in the NBA he should be considered the back-up in my mind. If Exum continues to suck I'd be looking at getting rid of him personally. Might be able to trade him. If not I see no reason to keep him if he can't earn a rotation spot.

Quote:
In 2015, Neto played well enough to steal minutes away from Trey Burke, which appears more of an indictment on the latter than a measure of success since Burke is now a free agent.

More an indictment on the front office not looking at winning games. He showed he is a rotation player though

Quote:
Neto showed poise, able to run an offense without Snyder worrying about him doing anything out of the ordinary.

He's rarely been given the opportunity to run the offense. What he did do was hit open shots and defend. Hard to see them not needing him on this team in particular. I think he could do a lot more if given the chance. He does have to find a way to finish like a few others though

Quote:
He was essentially Utahís fourth point guard.

Yet he was certainly 2 or 3 since Exum has mostly sucked

Quote:
Standing in Netoís way is Dante Exum (whoís penciled in as the primary backup point guard)

I'd say that's more hope than anything. They could both play if Exum shows he can defend and hit shots. He's yet to show he's a pg.

Quote:
Comparatively, thereís not much separating Neto and Wolters. Neither possess tremendous upside, but have skill sets to be serviceable when called upon. Both have solid court vision, play within their roles and have sub-par outside shots.

Wolters will be in the G-league. Why even bring him up? Neto can shoot though. I think Neto could be a better Barea

Quote:
Wolters is going to be spending most of his time in the NBA G-League with the Salt Lake City Stars, but if he stands out in training camp, Neto could quickly become dispensable.

Not seeing it. I'd put Neto 2. Burks 3. Wolters 4. Exum and Mitchell having to prove their worth

Quote:
Neto should focus on being a disruptive defender, punching his ticket to a guaranteed contract.

He's already done that and they still don't think much of him!

Quote:
Bradley, whom the Jazz acquired 28th overall in a trade with the Los Angeles Lakers on draft night, will also have a chair at the end of Snyderís bench this season.

He'll be in the G-league until the end of the year at least

Quote:
Defensively, Bolomboy was an effective rim protector, blocking more than one shot per game.

not exactly a rim protector

Quote:
Utahís coaching staff wonít be running plays for Bolomboy, so he has to find a way to make an impact without scoring,

Which he did the two games he got a chance to play quality minutes which mean more than summer league. Yes I'm talking to you Dante!

Quote:
Utah was in the bottom half of the NBA in rebounding last season (19th)

Slow pace. What were their %'s?

Quote:
Bolomboyís most valuable trait on the court seems to be his willingness to crash the glass

Can stretch the floor. Which used to mean something in Utah

Quote:
Bolomboy could stick in Utah, but itís going to be an uphill battle with the amount of bigs already on the team.

They have no young PF. They need him

Quote:
OíNeale could play shooting guard and small forward for the Jazz, which theoretically increases his chances of making the team.

Potential gets him on the team. He will be in the G-league if he does

Quote:
The days of getting playing time in the NBA without a jump shot are long gone.

except on the Jazz!

Quote:
Joe Ingles was in a similar situation not too long ago, but forced the coaches into playing him after proving his worth as a shooter, and now heís making $14 million annually.

He could always shoot. Defense and a more consistent effort is what made the difference

I say Exum if he can't earn a rotation spot. The time of giving him anything should be over
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #1211
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/18/1...7-lebron-james

Quote:
100. Rodney Hood (NR)
Hood probably would have been 30 spots higher if this list had been made in 2016. Basketball is weird.

Go to guy! All-star!

Quote:
82. Joe Ingles (NR)
Slow Mo Joe is a cerebral, skilled forward who can shoot and pass quite well. He should take on extra importance with Gordon Hayward gone.

Like with Hood and so much of the team they have unrealistic expectations for him. Be lucky if he can do as much as last year with the guys now around him. He is a role player

Quote:
67. Ricky Rubio (30)
Defense and passing are really important skills for a point guard, it turns out.

unfortunately so do shooting

Quote:
17. Rudy Gobert (NR)
Defense matters.

17 is way too low but he also might have a harder time this year
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #1212
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/9/19/16...gent-extension

Quote:
Coming off a subpar season, he's primed to break out because he has the talent to be a great two-way guard. He's consistent, shooting roughly the same percentage on guarded catch-and-shoot opportunities as off the dribble.

no clue!

Quote:
has the potential to reestablish himself as a max-deal candidate.

Bye bye if someone is stupid enough to give him even close to max

Quote:
They follow that with talking about a previous Jazzman whose name kinda rhymes with Boredom Heís-Okayward. Simmons is suddenly much higher on said player now that heís a Celtic. Imagine that.

Kind of like Jazz fansites thinking Rudy was always the man now that Hayward is gone.

Quote:
He has them at 7th to start the year, which was admittedly higher than most everyone else has them.

everyone outside Utah anyway. With Hood, Rubio, Favors, and Exum becoming all-stars they should win it all!

Quote:
He says that heíll do that despite what the W/L columns will say, because he thinks that the Jazz would beat several teams in a 7 game series even if the other team (like the Nuggets, Timberwolves, Raptors) may have more total wins.

Lowry dominated the Jazz
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #1213
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/9/19/16...in-quin-snyder

Quote:
The athletic product of the University of Colorado was supposed to have carved his niche in the NBA by now

He has. Unlike all of the all-stars I keep hearing about on the roster he proved himself as a top 6th man

Quote:
Burksís career has been marred by a coach that preferred veterans to development

Damn Corbin trying to win games and making players prove their worth!

Quote:
Kevin OíConnor, current advisor to the Utah Jazz and then General Manager, was not looking to get into the tanking business.

God bless him for that!

Quote:
Ty Corbin, a first time head coach who had the unenviable task of following a legend in Jerry Sloan, believed that players had to earn their playing time. This resulted in players like Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks coming off the bench while Josh Howard, Randy Foye, Raja Bell, DeMarre Carroll, and Marvin Williams played in front of them.

What a dick! Too bad they developed Demarre into a rotation player and they let him go.

Quote:
By the time Quin Snyder came rolling into town in 2014, Alec Burks had spent most of his time either out of position or in Ty Corbinís doghouse.

A 20 year old not playing doesn't mean he's in the doghouse. Burks was much like Lyles and Hood when he first came into the league. He only saw the rim. He did not see teammates. He was able to develop a more all-around game which their supposed go to guy/all-star has yet to do.

Quote:
Quin Snyder to those of us on the outside seemed to be Alec Burksí knight in shining armor. Sure enough, Quin Snyder quickly threw Alec Burks into the starting lineup where he averaged 14 ppg, 4 rpg, and 3 apg.

It's called tanking

Quote:
What precedence is there for a player suddenly turning into a solid player in their 7th year in the NBA?

He has already proven he can play in the league.

Quote:
Alec Burksí disappointing last few seasons even made his contract tempting for use with the stretch provision.

Tempting to who? Jazz will hang on to him hoping to get something out of him until the bitter end like they did with Trey. Was that 2nd round pick worth missing the playoffs though?

Quote:
Wasn't a fluke leg injury
Posted by jjrosk on Sep 19, 2017 | 8:43 PM
I agree with you there.
Posted by Mychal Lowman on Sep 19, 2017 | 8:59 PM
Somehow no mention of The Truth...
and The Truth shall set your bones out of order

That one was on Alec. He was trying to prove something and endangered himself. It's cost him a couple seasons too.
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #1214
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/09/19/uta...-point-threat/

Quote:
Will Dante Exum and Rodney Hood begin ascending to stardom?

Quote:
His setbacks last season caused many to lose hope in him and several to speculate that perhaps he would be traded. However, if Favors can stay healthy, he should be one of Utahís most valuable players and could very well be in for the most productive season of his career as he looks to prove that he can be a top option on a Gordon Hayward-less Jazz squad.

Hard to see him on the team after the trade deadline. He's only on the team now because his value is low

Quote:
the fact that Favors apparently stated that heís feeling confident in his three-ball is both an intriguing and perhaps encouraging sign. Favors has never been anywhere close to a deep-ball threat, so if heís able to add that to his arsenal, it could be extremely valuable.

Never been consistent from the mid range. Why would anyone expect him to suddenly be a 3 point threat? Mark Gasol and Brook Lopez were good shooters when they moved to the arc. Favors is not

Quote:
If such ends up being the case and Derrick Favors can once again reestablish himself as one of the best players on this Jazz team, then his final three-point percentage will likely matter very little at all.

It would certainly matter. It could mean that they would look to keep him and even sign him to an extension. Good bye Favs
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: