Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Holy fck. Am I getting trolled?

There's toooooons of people who think fighting in hockey is stupid and should be removed. That's a fair opinion. Not understanding the difference between being allowed to fight in hockey and not in basketball is LAUGHABLEEEE

Show me basketball fights where two people square off and everybody else around them calms down and watches? Show me where NBA players don't throw hissy fits and need other grown men to calm them down? Every scrum turns into chaos. Your right people do worse things in hockey games and when they do TSN or the fans completely go all in on them, probably worse than basketball. Look up Don Cherry, dude says way worse shit than anybody on TNT.

Point is there's clearly composed fights where all hell doesn't break loose. Even with a bench brawl things are more controlled than NBA scrums. Look at the Malice @ the Palice. The brawl he's talking about? They finished the game

WHO F*CKING CARES EXACTLY HOW THEY SQUARE OFF??? None of it is a sign of moral decay and a symptom of social decline like a lot of so called Hockey fans insinuate when fight break out in BBALL games..

That's the point... People act like NBA fights (or NFL fights) are ruining the fabric of society..

F*cking Sherman cant even yell into a TV screen without everyone calling him a "thug" and a "N*gger"..

But if a hockey fight breaks out? it is an epic occurance... one for the record books.. Tough guys doing what tough guys do...

that is the difference

No man, a hockey fight is not epic at all. Happens more often than an injury. No big deal. Standard operating procedure.

Sounds like you just hate that people stereotype black athletes when they get pissed and lose control.

Saying that long term,well balanced, knowledgable sports fans think a scrap that goes down in an NFL game or NBA game is a sign of moral decay is an extreme assessment. That's major hyperbole.

Hockey players are seen as tough guys because they generally stay in games for nasty inflictions, not just fighting. I'm talking a 8- 10 inch major laceration on the mid section from a skate blade- like a katana sliced a dude. I'm talking gettin hit in the mouth incidentally and losing half your teeth and shrugging it off to come back in the game like it's nothing. I'm talking sustaining ligament damage, fractured bones and still being worried about missing a shift....in one reg season game of 82.

Meanwhile, D-Wade hurts his shoulder one time and gets taken off on a wheelchair.

If you can't see the difference in environments and see why fighting would be more natural in one setting versus the other, then...
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-21-2014 at 02:12 AM.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    "N*gger"..
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh. I get it. Kinda figured that's what this was about, won't touch on that. Kinda did a few posts ago but yeaaaah.

People call hockey players goons, punks, dirty etc. all the time when they do something stupid or take fighting to another level. However they do not get called N*ggers. Probably cause there white for the most part, I'm sure guys like E.Kane, J.Ward, PK Subban do tho, sometimes anyways

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh. I get it. Kinda figured that's what this was about, won't touch on that. Kinda did a few posts ago but yeaaaah.

People call hockey players goons, punks, dirty etc. all the time when they do something stupid or take fighting to another level. However they do not get called N*ggers. Probably cause there white for the most part, I'm sure guys like E.Kane, J.Ward, PK Subban do tho, sometimes anyways

Its not soo much about the racial aspect as it is about the phony moral and societal aspect of the double standard..

Im sure the black guys in the NHL are used to being called N*ggers and monkeys by the fans... its a part of the job at times..

but im talking about the way the fights are viewed...

I understand that hockey has controls for a fight where the NBA, MLB, and NFL do not..

But that doesn't make fights in those leagues a "moral" problem..

some fans (many of them are hockey fans) have a so called "moral" problem with fighting in other leagues, but not the NHL..

College star

Lol at this idea that EVERYBODY automatically calls basketball players thugs for fighting. Doc Rivers and Kevin Johnson started one of worst brawls ever, and are both looked up to as respectable figures within the sport and outside of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    No man, a hockey fight is not epic at all. Happens more often than an injury. No big deal. Standard operating procedure.

Sounds like you just hate that people stereotype black athletes when they get pissed and lose control.

Saying that long term,well balanced, knowledgable sports fans think a scrap that goes down in an NFL game or NBA game is a sign of moral decay is an extreme assessment. That's major hyperbole.

Hockey players are seen as tough guys because they generally stay in games for nasty inflictions, not just fighting. I'm talking a 8- 10 inch major laceration on the mid section from a skate blade- like a katana sliced a dude. I'm talking gettin hit in the mouth incidentally and losing half your teeth and shrugging it off to come back in the game like it's nothing. I'm talking sustaining ligament damage, fractured bones and still being worried about missing a shift....in one reg season game of 82.

Meanwhile, D-Wade hurts his shoulder one time and gets taken off on a wheelchair.

If you can't see the difference in environments and see why fighting would be more natural in one setting versus the other, then...

seeing the double standard is not a "major hyperbole" .. I know hocke fans who are also NBA fans.. They have told me how the NBA has a "thug" problem and that is why people have gone away from the NBA.. They tell me about protecting their kids from the bad influences of the "thugs" in the NBA..

I laugh at them, but they think they make make sense

Like I said (in case you missed that part).. I understand that hockey has a place, and controls for fighting... But that doesn't mean that there is a moral, societal difference between fighting in hockey and fighting in other sports..

it is simply a double standard
    Last edited by Rasheed1; 01-21-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    Lol at this idea that EVERYBODY automatically calls basketball players thugs for fighting. Doc Rivers and Kevin Johnson started one of worst brawls ever, and are both looked up to as respectable figures within the sport and outside of it.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT... nobody said EVERYBODY calls NBA players thugs...

I said there is a double standard between hockey fighting and fighting in the other major sports

College star

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT... nobody said EVERYBODY calls NBA players thugs...

I said there is a double standard between hockey fighting and fighting in the other major sports

Then who calls them thugs then? What your honky friends? I've heard people stereotype hockey players as knucklehead goons. It goes both ways.

Ya the motivation for this whole thread of b!tching is racial sensitivity. The idea that black athletes throwing a punch or two in the NFL/NBA are chastised as ignorant uncontrollable, primitive beings versus white guys doing it in a controlled, monitored and strategic and not being perceived as athletes with a criminal mindset. Mainly it's just an adopted slight of injustice from dudes who see race before everything. They believe the 'White mass public' turns a cheek to similar acts from other white people.

Its not about the sport. It's about the skin color that dominates the sport. Meanwhile, Richard Sherman yells at viewers all over America in a post game and people are dumbfounded why the status quo, unspectacular everyday unenlightened viewer took offense to his behavior. All the sudden, it's just another instance of race being attacked and not just ignorant thoughts and feelings towards that particular guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    Then who calls them thugs then? What your honky friends? I've heard people stereotype hockey players as knucklehead goons. It goes both ways.

it doesnt go both ways ....

you cannot be blind enough to post on a basketball board and not be aware that a portion of society label NBA players as "thugs" for their on court behavior (mostly because of the fighting and the clothes they wear)

Hockey fans call some hockey players goons.. But they don't have the vitriol that they have for an NBA player (or nfl player) who would fight during a game...

Again, look at Sherman.. He is a "thug" and a "scumbag" (and other things) simply because of his rant on sunday.. God forbid if he had actually gotten into a fight..

People would be looking for charges to be brought against him...

you cant act like the idea of fighting in hockey and the idea of fighting of in the NBA are the same... They are obviously 2 totally different entities...

I know there is a move within the NHL to get rid of fighting.... but most "goons" in hockey don't even have any talent

There are no players in other sports who occupy so much space simply for their "goonery"

seeing the double standard is not a "major hyperbole" .. I know hocke fans who are also NBA fans.. They have told me how the NBA has a "thug" problem and that is why people have gone away from the NBA.. They tell me about protecting their kids from the bad influences of the "thugs" in the NBA..

I laugh at them, but they think they make make sense

Like I said (in case you missed that part).. I understand that hockey has a place, and controls for fighting... But that doesn't mean that there is a moral, societal difference between fighting in hockey and fighting in other sports..

it is simply a double standard
    A double standard implies that both situations are of uniform circumstances. Hockey = physical contact sport Basketball = Skilled Athletic Sport

Hockey has tons of skill just as basketball can be physical but the discretion is pretty wide between the two. In basketball, the peak is to maybe commit a hard foul, a flagrant. That's the pinnacle of sending a message. In hockey, it's throwing an illegal hit to set the tone or squaring up and beating the shit out of the other guy's face. They are not on equal ground.

As for the 'NBA fans' who cry thug, there prolly is a degree of unwanted judgment and racism on their part or just plain dismissal of what's more 'mainstream' to viewership on ESPN and stuff. I'll say this: Hardcore NHL fans have a complex because they feel very passionate about the game and feel it doesn't get the coverage it deserves on major networks. Hockey fans are smaller in numbers but are typically way more knowledgable and loyal than the average NBA or NFL fan who cheer but with varying degrees of prior support and team knowledge.

Hockey fans can be quick to be monolithic and dismiss the major 3 sports becuz they resent that it takes away from NHL coverage. I've seen hockey psychos look for any reason to downplay the awesomeness of basketball or baseball or whatever just because they are biased and want to trump up THEIR main passion. That could have a lot to do with that kind of talk. Those people aren't who I was referring to as well balanced, open minded, knowledgable long term sports fans.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-21-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Ya the motivation for this whole thread of b!tching is racial sensitivity. The idea that black athletes throwing a punch or two in the NFL/NBA are chastised as ignorant uncontrollable, primitive beings versus white guys doing it in a controlled, monitored and strategic and not being perceived as athletes with a criminal mindset. Mainly it's just an adopted slight of injustice from dudes who see race before everything. They believe the 'White mass public' turns a cheek to similar acts from other white people.

Its not about the sport. It's about the skin color that dominates the sport. Meanwhile, Richard Sherman yells at viewers all over America in a post game and people are dumbfounded why the status quo, unspectacular everyday unenlightened viewer took offense to his behavior. All the sudden, it's just another instance of race being attacked and not just ignorant thoughts and feelings towards that particular guy.

we all live here in America and we all know (in our hearts) what is actually going on..

you are right to a large degree... "It's about the skin color that dominates the sport"

in one sport? fights are epic and the stuff of legend...

In another? when fights break out, it is a sign of thuggery and the decline of society itself

A double standard implies that both situations are of uniform circumstances. Hockey = physical contact sport Basketball = Skilled Athletic Sport

Hockey has tons of skill just as basketball can be physical but the discretion is pretty wide between the two. In basketball, the peak is to maybe commit a hard foul, a flagrant. That's the pinnacle of sending a message. In hockey, it's throwing an illegal hit to set the tone or squaring up and beating the shit out of the other guy's face. They are not on equal ground.

As for the 'NBA fans' who cry thug, there prolly is a degree of unwanted judgment and racism on their part or just plain dismissal of what's more 'mainstream' to viewership on ESPN and stuff. I'll say this: Hardcore NHL fans have a complex because they feel very passionate about the game and feel it doesn't get the coverage it deserves on major networks. Hockey fans are smaller in numbers but are typically way more knowledgable and loyal than the average NBA or NFL fan who cheer but with varying degrees of prior support and team knowledge.

Hockey fans can be quick to be monolithic and dismiss the major 3 sports becuz they resent that it takes away from NHL coverage. I've seen hockey psychos look for any reason to downplay the awesomeness of basketball or baseball or whatever just because they are bias and want to trump up THEIR main passion. That could have a lot to do with that kind of talk. Those people aren't who I was referring to as well balanced, open minded, knowledgable long term sports fans.
    I m not talking about fans who only follow hockey... I will accept that a lot of them like the fighting in the sport and they wouldn't understand the difference I am talking about.. I can understand why they believe fighting should exist in their sport and I wouldn't respect their opinion enough about the other sports to give it any thought..

Im talking about the multi sport fan who lives in Philly.. Who lives in NY, Detroit, Boston and other major cities..

I think you know what is being talked about, but whatever.....

I feel you are being dramatic in that assertion. The fights on ice are whatever to people who are used to them and only sensationalized dramatic dumbasses will make a huge deal over a punch being thrown by a WR or CB. Even a NBA team 'fight' (more often one or two swings and some shoving) isn't seen anymore deplorable than a bench clearing brawl in the MLB, which is majorly Hispanic with both blacks, whites, couple Asians mixed in.

I rarely see any competent sports fans think society is crumbling if two lineman get into it or a dude takes exception to a hard foul. Some get pumped by it, some just say whatever. Only shitheads think it's ruining America.

Sounds like you are just very sensitive to how blacks are viewed in sports. Sherman deserved much of the scorn he got, short of being known as a N--ger. People don't enjoy having irritating voices screaming at their television after seeing a dude's team make it to the Super Bowl.

I m not talking about fans who only follow hockey... I will accept that a lot of them like the fighting in the sport and they wouldn't understand the difference I am talking about.. I can understand why they believe fighting should exist in their sport and I wouldn't respect their opinion enough about the other sports to give it any thought..

Im talking about the multi sport fan who lives in Philly.. Who lives in NY, Detroit, Boston and other major cities..

I think you know what is being talked about, but whatever.....
    Yea, you take exception to judgment of viewers who don't respect a black athlete's background or hip hop imagery and wait to degrade them when they lose their cool. I get that. It sucks and pisses me off too that so many don't follow a great thing like NBA basketball because of petty aesthetics.

However, some dudes that are pro black athletes just project body language that people think isn't professional at the pro level. Some guys also have bad attitudes and just project something that isn't accessible to the blue collar everyman.

I do not like the dismissal of great athletes based on hair, tats, scowls, etc. but some guys earn a poor reputation for very legit reasons that aren't rooted in learned racism or bigotry.